Sponsored by:

Porsche's loooong options list

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 12:01 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts
Angry Porsche's loooong options list

As a recent new (actually used) Boxster owner, I was amazed at the way Porsche prices their new cars...and I don't mean the cost (although it's certainly considerable). I mean the way almost every single thing is optional! Granted, it's nice to have a "base vehicle" available for those wanting to get in at the lowest price point possible, but I'd bet the vast majority of new 986s are sold well-equipped.
I wonder why Porsche doesn't take a lesson from the Japanese luxo auto makers and start offering Boxsters equipped the way most customers wind up ordering them anyway. Or, is maximum customization what makes each Boxster unique?
I hope to order a new S after I've driven my just-acquired '99 for a couple of years. I guess I'll just have to study those options long and hard.
Whaddya think?

[ 30-05-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]
Old 05-31-2001, 12:33 AM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've kind of wondered about this myself. My guess is that w/ the Boxster, and to a lesser degree the 911, Porsche wants to present the lowest possible base price for marketing purposes. "Affordable supercar" and all that.

It's a truism that dealers and manufacturers make a ton of money on the options though, so that's where they're getting their best margins. Tell me it really costs them $700 to add footwell lighting, or that Litronics/Headlight washers should be over $1300 (it's $500 on my wife's Audi for the lights, and the washers are standard).

But if you're Porsche and you sell less cars total each year than Honda sells Accords, you do what you have to. If that means low base prices, relatively speaking, and gouging people on options, that's what you do.

FWIW, I have a 98 Boxster, and I'm glad the previous owner is the one who ate the cost on the options.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:13 PM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Funny, I suppose Porsche has changed its mind about this. Back in 1986 when I purchased my 951, there were indeed quite a few options (e.g., sunroof, power door locks) that were added to the base model in the following year(s) - the scuttlebutt was that so many folks ordered these options that it made sense to include them all.

But that was back when, if I remember correctly, Porsche was selling far more cars and also focusing on the large US market more. Some say that focus hurt them a bit.

Just because the Japanese do it, doesn't make it right for Porsche.
Old 06-01-2001, 10:19 PM
Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, the power door locks were a $250 option in 1986. The dealer slipped a digit on the order and got me a heated passenger seat instead.

I looked into purchasing the several components necessary to equip my car with power locks (solenoids, brain, cables, microswitches) and the pieces added up to over $800.

So as expensive as the options are - the pieces-parts add up to even more.

[ 01-06-2001: Message edited by: Mike ]
Old 06-01-2001, 10:33 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts
Talking

Can you imagine what it would cost to build a Boxster from scratch, piece-by-piece? Yikes!
I guess the point I wanted to make about the way Lexus and Infiniti have approached pricing is - the options list is kept small by "packaging" goodies usually ordered together. I'm sure Porsche sees the same things requested over and over on Boxsters for America. And, since more than half of all Porsches sold in the USA are Boxsters, it could greatly simplify things for customers and Porsche (saving money on both sides of the transaction).
Old 06-26-2001, 12:42 AM
Analog Kid
6th Gear

During the mid 90's I remember the Audi 100q could be optioned with Pearlescent white paint. The paint code was priced as a separate option for around $800. Pearlescent white paint on the same year 911 Turbo was $5300.

But back to the length of the options list, IMHO I hope they never go the way of the Japanese. For instance, a lot of Japanese brands force the customer to buy leather seating surfaces, trip computer, etc. just to get a vehicle equipped with a sunroof. This may work for some, but I want to pick a la carte.

Enjoy the ride,
Analog Kid
Old 06-26-2001, 09:57 PM
RobertG
Racer

well, some people like to get a no nonense porsche with no options. these people tend to run their cars on the track or later customise their cars into "tuner" cars

Quick Reply: Porsche's loooong options list