Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell the Bimmer & 911 Carrera for a Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts
Default Sell the Bimmer & 911 Carrera for a Boxster?

I'm getting married and probably still living in the city of Chicago, which means it doesn't make sense to have 2 cars. Her BMW is no fun to drive, but my 88 911 Carrera isn't that practical for the both of us to share. She can drive it, but she's a little sore afterwards . Thinking about spending $25k on a Boxster S. Here are some questions:

1.) How much storage space is there really in the trunks?
2.) What year is the best for the price?
3.) Do I need the extra power of the S? I drove a 205hp car and thought I could use at least 50 more hp.
4.) Differences between the S and the non-S?
5.) Is a base 987 within reach?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:41 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Huge storage - large suitcase plus shoes in the front, small suitcase plus roll bag and laptop in the back. More than enough for two people on a road trip.

2) 2002 onwards - you miss out on the terminal engines that way

3) Your call - I have a 996 and 986, love both

4) Power, red calipers, trim details, exhaust. May be more, can't remember if suspension was different...

5) Doubt it.

On a side note - wife loves the 986, drives it every day - wouldn't be parted from it!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Tierce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely go for the S, storage is good enough, and yes the suspension was improved on the S.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

1) Great storage. If you take out the spare, it's huge. You just can't fit really long things.
2) 2000. For $25K, you should be able to get a pristine S
3) You can never have enough HP HP is VERY expensive afterwards
4) Circa 33 HP, 911 brakes, stiffer suspension, numerous cosmetic silver trim accents, etc.
5) Probably not
I think only '99 had a significantly higher incidence of engines grenading. All years can have RMS. '03 and newer have mildly updated body and glass rear window.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:27 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I'm getting married and probably still living in the city of Chicago, which means it doesn't make sense to have 2 cars. Her BMW is no fun to drive, but my 88 911 Carrera isn't that practical for the both of us to share. She can drive it, but she's a little sore afterwards . Thinking about spending $25k on a Boxster S. Here are some questions:

3.) Do I need the extra power of the S? I drove a 205hp car and thought I could use at least 50 more hp.
1. The combined storage area of the two trunks is substantial. Keep in mind what your needs are, though, as you contemplate a two-seater as your only car.
2. In 2003, Porsche replaced the plastic back window with a glass back window. That was a HUGE improvement. So, I'd suggest a 2003 or 2004, even though both are likely more than $25K. In 2005, the current body style was introduced.
3. When I had my '03 Boxster, I found the power to be more than adequate. If you're a horsepower fiend, then the "S" is a better call. Remember that the base model is well balanced and, like the base Cayman, has an impessive level of overall performance.
4. When I bought mine, the difference in price between a base model and an "S" was about $9K. I didn't think the extra horsepower was that important. Besides the extra horsepower, the "S" had a six-speed, vs. the base model's 5-speed. The "S" as I recall came with 18" wheels, while the base models came with 17" wheels. Most of the interior fitment was the same between the two models. I have some Boxster brochures if you need some really, really detailed information!
5. A base 987? If you're thinking $25K for a used Boxster, how can you be thinking of a 987? Two very different prices! If you like the Boxster and want to spend more than the $25K you mentioned, I'd look at the 2003/04 models. You'll have an easy time finding low mileage cars for sale.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM
racer
Drifting

1) The 986 Boxster is rated at 9.4cu ft of trunk space - thats BOTH trunks together. For reference, a 914 had a combined trunk space of nearly 16 cu ft.

A 911 like yours, I believe is rated around 5 cu ft of trunk space, but don't forget thet back seat area as your "second" trunk.

Overall, trunk space might be a wash... just shaped differently.

Also, in the Boxster, it may feel confining at first, given the lack of room behind the seats for quick little trips - ie to the grocery store, a backpack etc...

2) 2003+ are prefered, if for no other reason than the glass rear window and small hp bump (258 vs older versions 252).

3) Drive one. I've driven a few "s" and wondered where the power "was". My 2.7 feels pretty strong. Just test them. If you won't be tracking the car you may not notice the difference.

4) HP/TQ advantages to the S. Larger brakes. 3rd front radiator. 6spd manual transmission. Might be some "trim" differences like white faced gauges.

5) Base 987s are still mid 30 or more.. haven't seen them dip into the 20's just yet. They are only 2 years old.

A boxster will feel VERY different than the 911. Coming from an SC to the Boxster I was amazed how "modern" the boxster felt. A lot less of the visceral feel that the SC had. On the the plus, the Boxster has airbags, ABS, Crumple zones, great A/C and heat.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:29 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

1) I've never had trouble hauling routine stuff (groceries, etc). I can also fit my staff golf bag in the rear, no problem.
2) For $25k, you're looking at a '01-'02 most likely. I bought a '01 S with 17k miles for pretty close to that (at a Chicago dealer, actually - nice place)
3)I've driven both and the non-S version still is pretty quick. I got the S more for the brakes, 18" wheels, power seats, etc over the HP really
4)^^^^
5)Not for your budget, they're running in the low-mid 30's I think.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

..I don't know about those 914 vs Boxster numbers, but it sure seems like my Boxster hauls more than my 914 did. I've done long trips in both.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the great information. I've drove a couple Boxsters and liked them. One was a 2000, the other a 2002 S. I thought the S was way better on power. I generally don't like newer cars as much, and as much as my finacee's BMW hugs the road, it's still a boring car compared to my 911. I'm figuring the Boxster would still be fun to drive while keeping her happy with all the creature comforts that my car doesn't have. I think now it will come down to the 2 seat vs 4 seat issue.

After driving a Porsche, I couldn't image why anyone would want to drive anything else. I have to somehow get her to drive a couple of these and see if she can tell the difference. I think she's timid of the stick-shift, so I might have to put her in an automatic to convert her.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:49 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

My wife has gotten used to the standard (she had one a few years back). She loves driving the car, especially in top-down conditions...yours will too, even if you have to get a slushbox.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know, what am I missing? You live in Chicago, both of you are driving around in winter in a 3.2 911 and BMW and you are looking to consolidate with ONE Boxster, a PRACTICAL 2-seater and keep the lovely lady happy? Good luck. My wife would stab me in my sleep.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dyazdani
My wife has gotten used to the standard (she had one a few years back). She loves driving the car, especially in top-down conditions...yours will too, even if you have to get a slushbox.
Yep, same here. She wanted nothing to do with buying my '03 Boxster to start with. Once it was in the garage however, and she took it out for a spin, just once mind you, she was converted. In fact, she just let me spend over 2 grand on updates for the intake, exhaust and suspension with an ECU reprog coming to go along with it. I assure you, an unprecidented lapse in her usually sound judgement !

The stick has never been a problem for her.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by designman
I don't know, what am I missing? You live in Chicago, both of you are driving around in winter in a 3.2 911 and BMW and you are looking to consolidate with ONE Boxster, a PRACTICAL 2-seater and keep the lovely lady happy? Good luck. My wife would stab me in my sleep.
Well, she's kind of a performance chick, so she can appreciate a fun, fast car. The reason why we have 2 cars now is because we live in different parts of the city. We're thinking about moving closer, to a hip area where we don't need 2 cars, but we still need at least 1.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
1)...Also, in the Boxster, it may feel confining at first, given the lack of room behind the seats for quick little trips - ie to the grocery store, a backpack etc...
I get a kick out of opening the front truck. Won't bother me too much

Originally Posted by racer
...A boxster will feel VERY different than the 911. Coming from an SC to the Boxster I was amazed how "modern" the boxster felt. A lot less of the visceral feel that the SC had. On the the plus, the Boxster has airbags, ABS, Crumple zones, great A/C and heat...
I like old car and she likes newer ones. How can I find a car that we both love? It either needs to be a BMW or Porsche, and I'm betting that a Porsche, albeit still new, is going to feel more like a racecar than the BMW sedan, even if it is an M3.

The M3 vs. 911 has been posted all over the 911 forums, and most would agree that even though the M3 is seriously fast and capable, the 911 feels better and is more fun to drive. I'm better the Boxster is as well.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The practicality of the boxster relates mostly to the remote control for the trunks (why do you call them that? they are not elephants)

If you can press the remote as you're approaching the car it doesn't matter that you have to use the front or reat "kofferraum".

Quick Reply: Sell the Bimmer & 911 Carrera for a Boxster?