Sponsored by:

Nasty squeal/screech at startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:02 PM
oversteerdawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty squeal/screech at startup

Hey guys. My 6 speed '01 986S w/ 47k makes a nasty squeal/screech for about a half second on cold start. It just started a couple of days ago. It does not happen when warm. I'm thinking (hoping) it's a belt, but I'm not sure. A/C, power steering, water temp are all fine and the car runs great. Anyone experience something similar? Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2006, 09:59 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Altenator belts have a lot of drag at start up. Power steerign would be my next guess.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:37 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by oversteerdawg
Hey guys. My 6 speed '01 986S w/ 47k makes a nasty squeal/screech for about a half second on cold start. It just started a couple of days ago. It does not happen when warm. I'm thinking (hoping) it's a belt, but I'm not sure. A/C, power steering, water temp are all fine and the car runs great. Anyone experience something similar? Thanks in advance
Every once and awhile my 99' Boxster would do that. The cure? It was time to replace the serpentine belt. Simple D.I.Y.

Remember there is one belt for ALOT of things on the car so its a good idea to change it before you hit the 60k maintainence mark.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:33 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

If it's not the belt, check the oil filler tube and see if it's squished when the engine is started. If so, it probably has a hole worn in it because the air/oil separator is going kaput and the vacuum is causing the squeal. Both have to be replaced if that's the case.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:27 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I had the exact same problem. Dealer change the starter. No problem since then..

Quick Reply: Nasty squeal/screech at startup