Notices

Looking for AutoX advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:53 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrennen
I know we've drifted a bit from the OP's question, but since there seems to be a discussion here...

Is the GT3 front bar still going to give a noticeable improvement on an X73-equipped 981 Cayman? I'm not in the mood to make any changes, as I'm not running SCCA this year -- I'm running PCA, where bars can't be touched in Street Stock. Just wondering if it's been tried. Most of what I can find by searching seems to be folks upgrading non-X73 suspension with X73 and/or GT3 bars -- not so much putting a GT3 bar on a full X73.
I don't think I've heard of anyone serious prepping a 981 for SCCA autocross yet, so you may be breaking new ground here.

Are you oversteering? If so, it would probably help. Are you understeering due to lack of front camber? If so, it would probably help. If the car is perfectly balanced as it is, don't mess with it.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM
jbrennen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I don't think I've heard of anyone serious prepping a 981 for SCCA autocross yet, so you may be breaking new ground here.
Yeah, I didn't see any in the Nationals results from last year. In SS, the GT3 probably scares all the 981 Caymans & Boxsters off. Based on local results, I'm competitive in my Cayman GTS with the GT3s, but I can't comment on their prep level or driver skill -- I'm pretty new to the club.

I'll consider at the end of the local PCA season whether to try to prep for SCCA SS (the only class I'd consider). That might kick me into a points-based class for PCA events, but I'd be fine with that.

If the car is perfectly balanced as it is, don't mess with it.
Bingo. Good enough for me.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrennen
Yeah, I didn't see any in the Nationals results from last year. In SS, the GT3 probably scares all the 981 Caymans & Boxsters off.
Yeah, was just me and a Cayman R last year and neither of us had any chance against the GT3s and Elises. Or drove very well, for that matter. My swaybar was far too soft on day 1; I adjusted it in paddock that night and picked up a full second vs the rest of the field- was really kicking myself for not fixing it during the practice course sessions. And then I coned away my first two (and fastest) runs on day two and ended up slowing way the hell down to stay clean. Ah well, was still an awesome experience. And I was able to benchrace myself into a trophy position in AS afterwards, lol
Old 07-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I certainly wouldn't do anything rash after a single autocross- no mods, no new cars, not even new tires as a fresh novices. Take your time, do more events and then see how you feel.
Same advice I give to every novice.
There are only 2 ways you can seriously damage your car at autocross.
1. The course designer is a total idiot.
2. You are a total idiot.
The course designer does not operate alone. He/she has lots of very experienced eyes on the layout before anybody gets to drive.
So it is up to you to not be an idiot. The last thing you need is to make your car faster than your ability to control it. Sign up, show up, drive. Repeat as much as possible and stay on street tires. DO NOT pay attention to your time for the next few events. Pay attention to how much fun you are having.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
........ Pay attention to how much fun you are having.
I've been autocrossing my 964 for the past 15 years in SCCA and PCA Stock classes with only an aggressive alignment + corner balance and "R" tires (now Extreme Performance ones) and having a blast!

PS - Ran my first autocross in 1969!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:57 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sl951
- As for SCCA classing, I strongly disagree with the Cayman S 06-08 being in AS (street). They should have moved to BS (street) like all the other former AS (stock) cars.
Sorry I was referring to the Cayman S....

I did write into SEB (SCCA a couple of times about this). The answer was - they don't want to change things at this time.

Below is what I wrote in:

They should have moved the entire A-stock class to B-street, instead they moved everyone except the already slower 06-08 Cayman S (A-stock car). I've been the most consistent in developing and running this car at nationals/tours. It has a 'maybe' chance in B-street and has a 'you-need-to-be-very-lucky, pray-for-a-mid-rain' chance in the new A-street class. It makes more sense to keep the former A-Stock class together. The Cayman S participation was already very low and diminishing,...so now place it against former SS (Stock) cars? How does this decision grow the class and what is the fear with this car? Isn't it the ultimate goal to increase entry rates...

The goal would be increase participation rates and yield more 'consistent' data to help class adjustments but I don't see this happening in the current street class proposal. It might be a onesey and twosies new-to-SCCA folks trying Cayman/Boxster and quickly realizing it's a mistake to continue development thus data will never be good enough.

Frankly there is already enough historical 'Stock' data to point to B-street classing and not A-street.

---------------------------------
As of now I've stopped trying to compete in SCCA (street/stock classing) with my Cayman. You'll need a GT3 or Vette for AS/BS. However winning a PCA parade is always fun

Quick Reply: Looking for AutoX advice