Notices

My STR Carrera 3.2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:09 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

FWIW, I'm still forging ahead with the car. I've gone softer up front, stiffer in the rear.

After that pic I've added more rear camber.

And I've just bit the bullet and ordered a clutch-type LSD. We'll see how that helps once I figure out how to get it in the car.

Rewatching the first videos I posted in this thread I can hardly believe it's the same car.
Still have a long way to go, but here's how it drives now:

I plan to hit more national-level SCCA events next year for a better test of where I'm at. I'm currently about at my original goal as a competent sportsman level car, let's see if I can catch up to some of the big boy S2000s.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Old and busted:

New hotness:

KAAZ lsd set up as a reverse 1.5 way, 1 pair of plates disabled.

Install was done in-car, was a ton of fun. My load side bearing had signs of spinning the inner race, fortunately it wasn't the outer race that seems to be pretty common. Also protip: 996 series shims work great, are in stock, are 1/3 the price of 915 shims, and come in 0.05mm increments. Make sure you measure though, as I had ones as much as 0.03mm off nominal.

Car drives insanely different. Lift-off murder is reduced to controllable lift-off rotation. One wheel peel is of course eliminated. On-power transitions can induce power oversteer now, which is totally new. Overall, rear end is much more stable, less like walking on eggshells. Car is easier to drive, and a lot more fun to "attack" elements with now. I have picked up some mid corner push, going to try and tune it out.

I should have done the LSD as the very first mod. It's done that much good for the car.

Sad part is the season is over, have a long winter to wait to compete again. I'm running out of low hanging fruit items (still have the massive OE battery, but that's about it.) A few friends agree that I need to revisit damping, as the car is a little funky in transition on occasion. This story isn't over yet.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats on the big improvement. I'm sure it will cut your times next year.

Quick Reply: My STR Carrera 3.2 Build