Notices

SCCA proposal: 997GT3 & 996Turbo to SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Auto-X-er
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyK
I would like to find out what tires the other 997.2 Turbo's are running.
There really aren't many 997 turbos competing nationally, but most everyone in ASP runs Hoosier tires. Not sure the are necessarily the best, but all the good drivers like to win with them because the can get free tires with the contingency from Hoosier. The A6s certainly seem to be the stickiest tires you can get, but they don't exactly last long. R6s or Kuhmos may be a better choice.

Oh and its nuts they would put you in AM. I figure every club would let stock super cars in ASP starting out.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:42 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto-X-er
There really aren't many 997 turbos competing nationally, but most everyone in ASP runs Hoosier tires. Not sure the are necessarily the best, but all the good drivers like to win with them because the can get free tires with the contingency from Hoosier. The A6s certainly seem to be the stickiest tires you can get, but they don't exactly last long. R6s or Kuhmos may be a better choice.

Oh and its nuts they would put you in AM. I figure every club would let stock super cars in ASP starting out.
It's pretty casual, and this season we have had several days where we don't even do a PAX calculation. We had some issues with our timing system this year and had a power supply issue that caused axeware to change car colours and classes sort of randomly I guess. I just got the car like 2 weeks ago and so for a couple of events I was at a blank class 1.00 or AM 1.00. Now I know. I have taken FTD on one event and another good driver with a Factory 5 Cobra and RC tires beat me by a tenth on my second event with the car. I still have PSM on on this car.

Previously I was running my 1999 C4 with tires down to the cords practically and he was often a second faster or I might still take FTD occasionally or get beat by another driver in a hopped up neon with all sorts of tuning - depending on the course and the day.

Thanks for the info on the tires. I might just get some hoosiers and put em on my winter rims so I don't have to put so much wear on the potenzas I have on now. Or I might just run the potenzas and next set of rubber will be back to Michelin PS2's.

Also didn't mean to hijack the thread - thanks guys!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Can't speak for 997.2TT, but the 996TT in our region runs PS2s in ASP. He and his son have a lot of fun, but aren't highly competitive drivers. The AWD helps put power down while on street tires, but you really need r-comps to take full advantage of all that power.

Hoosier A6 is pretty much the spec tire, and the tire of choice for virtually everyone at nationals in stock and street prepared. You can't beat it right now for speed. 50 runs per set is typical, but YMMV. I think it would be easy to assume if you drive a 997.2TT you can afford a few sets of A6s each year, but if not, Kumho V710s are a few tenths slower and take longer to warm up, but last about 3 times longer, and are a very popular alternate. (I'm running V710s this year.) Most of the other R-comps out there are more for track use and take too long to warm up for autocross (R6, R888, etc).

Quick Reply: SCCA proposal: 997GT3 & 996Turbo to SS