Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Carplay replacement for PCM?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Lumsey
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carplay replacement for PCM?

New owner of a 997.1 here - looking at replacing the standard PCM unit with Carplay, but I'm concerned about the removal of the PCM car functions such as the daytime running lights, wipers, sport chrono functions and trip computer info. Also it appears that the emergency SOS flashers are mounted at the top of the unit. So for those who have made the switch, I'm wondering if it's worth it, and if you've missed these items. There was a mobridge unit installed so I'm able to use bluetooth but it's a really awkward user interface.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:56 PM
audioman79
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lumsey
New owner of a 997.1 here - looking at replacing the standard PCM unit with Carplay, but I'm concerned about the removal of the PCM car functions such as the daytime running lights, wipers, sport chrono functions and trip computer info. Also it appears that the emergency SOS flashers are mounted at the top of the unit. So for those who have made the switch, I'm wondering if it's worth it, and if you've missed these items. There was a mobridge unit installed so I'm able to use bluetooth but it's a really awkward user interface.
You can add a aftermarket headunit without losing functions. You just need a special wiring harness kit. Then you will need a headunit bezel kit.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:32 PM
ohnoyuji
3rd Gear

I just reply in the cayenne forum.
This should work better for you.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-cdr-31-a.html
Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 AM
stevexjet
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lumsey
I'm in the same boat as you, new to me 997.1. Really would like some kind of CarPlay type interface as I'm a podcast listener and pandora more than broadcast radio. Did your have any luck with an aftermarket unit? Looking at the Pioneer 4200 but would of like to hear your experience.

Last edited by stevexjet; 10-28-2016 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Siri
Old 10-28-2016, 04:34 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Probably done 10-15 997's with CarPlay now. The 4200 is an absolutely solid unit with some great features. The UI could be a bit more intuitive but once you get into CarPlay all that is irrelevant. There's a version from Alpine called the iLX-007 that I also like a good deal. It's designed around CarPlay so the interface is very "Apple like" in its appearance. Problem is the volume and track buttons are touch-capacitive so they're nearly impossible to use. I don't recommend that unit if you don't have steering wheel controls. Here's a couple threads that might help:

997 w/ 4200NEX: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...northwest.html

Cayenne w/ Alpine 007: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...o-upgrade.html
Old 11-25-2016, 11:38 AM
sjb343
2nd Gear

I'm in a similar boat too and was also wondering the same thing - "what all is lost by replacing the head unit". I'm getting the Pioneer 4200 installed in my 997 C4S cab in a week. My installer does Porsche's all the time (had a 997 C2S when I was there the other day). He said when done properly, you won't lose this, or the other in dash non-radio notifications (TPMS, MPG, oil level, etc) - my big concerns as I like to know how my car is doing. Is it worth it - TBD. I suspect yes to get bluetooth, clearer stereo, carplay, etc. I'm also putting in a rear view camera utilizing the Pioneer unit.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:03 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sjb343
I'm in a similar boat too and was also wondering the same thing - "what all is lost by replacing the head unit". I'm getting the Pioneer 4200 installed in my 997 C4S cab in a week. My installer does Porsche's all the time (had a 997 C2S when I was there the other day). He said when done properly, you won't lose this, or the other in dash non-radio notifications (TPMS, MPG, oil level, etc) - my big concerns as I like to know how my car is doing. Is it worth it - TBD. I suspect yes to get bluetooth, clearer stereo, carplay, etc. I'm also putting in a rear view camera utilizing the Pioneer unit.
Do you have Bose now? If so, are you retaining or replacing the amplifier?

Also, who's your installer in Dallas, I know a couple really great shops down in that area.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:32 PM
sjb343
2nd Gear

I'm using Earmark in Plano. Do you know them? Opinion? They knew exactly what to do. I went to some other places and they didn't give me the same level of confidence . I'm keeping the bose but replacing all the wiring and getting new amp.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:26 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've heard mixed reviews on Earmark. Only shop in that area I could 100% vouch for is Soundscape, also in Plano. They actually bested us this year for Mobile Electronics Retailer of the Year — not a small feat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carplay replacement for PCM?