Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Extending the cables of a turntable

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Default Extending the cables of a turntable

On my main wall, there really isn't a good place for my turntable. On the opposite side of the room there is a perfect spot for it.

Problem is, by the time I run the wires through the wall I'm guessing the run would be 50+ feet.

I've read on other forums this is not a problem, just use a good pre-amp.

Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions on pre-amps?
Old 10-30-2014, 05:15 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Not a problem as long as your using decent cable.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the output of the phono cartridge is so low ( ~ mV level) it is susceptible to noise. How about a phono preamp near the turntable then run the higher level (~1 V) signals to your main preamp aux inputs.
It's been about 3 lifetimes ago since I worked in the retail audio industry but there should be a number of high quality phono preamps on the market.

Jim
Old 11-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree with Jims suggestion, keep the IC's from turntable to the pre-amp short, then use the long run after the signal is raised.

As for pre's, sky's the limit, SS, tube, etc, from a little over $100 to many thousands. Some could be used with just MM's, some for both MM and MC. If you are just using MM cartridges, you can get by with a more affordable unit. I had a Primare phono-pre posted for sale here a while back with pictures. Still have it.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:10 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a problem. Unless you are running balanced XLR cabling at that length, you are going to kill the sound of your vinyl playback. Just so I understand, do you plan to run a 50' cable from the turntable/tonearm to the phono preamp/receiver with phono inputs ? If so that will not work out so well.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rockitman
with phono inputs?
Not necessarily, that's why I started this thread. To get opinions on using a phono pre-amp before the long cable run.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been in the audio specialty business for 40 years.

This is far to long to run coax / RCA cable especially for phono use.
Hum and noise will be a problem. Also total capacitance increases with length and eventually will cause a treble filter that falls in the audible range. The longer the run the worse the treble will be dulled. 6 feet between the turntable and the phono preamp is probably the maximum before an audible loss could start to occur. Also make sure the cable is shielded. Most but not all cable with RCA connectors is.

If your preamplifier has balanced XLR outputs and your amplifier matching XLR inputs, you can safely run 50 foot of balanced cable between the two. This is why balanced circuitry with XLR cables are used in studios.
Between preamp and amp RCA cable can be run farther than between turntable and your phono preamplifer before treble loss but you still risk picking up noise.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:13 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you everyone for chiming in, I should have shared what I currently have so we are all on the same page.

My turntable will be connected to this receiver:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/VSX-82TXS

My thought was connect the turntable to something like this:
Amazon.com: Zphono Phono Pre Amplifier: Electronics Amazon.com: Zphono Phono Pre Amplifier: Electronics

Then run the RCA cables the distance across the room
Old 12-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I just completed a job last week. We took the output of the turntable into the same Parasound phone preamp then through a Niles Audio distribution panel. Then we ran standard analog audio cables about 30-40' feet to one system and a second output 6' to the local system. No noise at all on either system.

Quick Reply: Extending the cables of a turntable