Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Klipschorn

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:46 PM
greens
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. Glad Schneider revived it.

I owned a pair or 1975 Khorns for nearly 10 years and had to downsize to Cornwalls a few years back when I made a temporary move in to an apartment. The Cornwalls are special in their own right but that massive wall of sound you get with the Khorns just can't be beat.

I'm planning to build a set of Jubilees in the near future now that I have room to accommodate. Horns, tubes and vinyl is the only medicine for my ears. I've tried the SS high watts "accuracy" route and was never sold. Meaty tone, dynamics, euphony and that sweet syrupy romantic sound that only tubes can provide, especially with tube rectification. I get those things from my MC30 monoblocks and I enjoy them immensely.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Klipsch made his name back in a time when amplifiers of more than a few watts were rare, and even those few were capable of more than say 10W for brief peaks. Modern stringent standards of RMS continuous were undreamed of back then. In that environment, a pair of Klipschorns, with their 106dB/1watt full range output was not only state of the art, but for lots of music lovers the only hope of achieving satisfying levels of good quality sound in their homes. Times change. The state of the art has long since moved on from efficiency, to todays goal of recreating a 3D soundstage with perfectly palpable presence. Klipsch has not advanced towards that goal. Its as simple as that.

What do you mean there were no high power amps? When Klipsch was founded, Mac was making powerful amplifiers. Back in the 50's and 60's there were plenty of high power amps. Marantz 9's, Mac MC60, MC275, etc. Paul Klipsch was not thinking purely about power. It was about dynamics and breathing.

My home theater uses a pair of Avantgarde horns and it's fabulous. K-horns are cool but the mids sound like they're coming out of a cave....to me.

Regardless somebody mentioned something about power, and that's not the issue. It's the input sensitivity (gain) of the power amp the Klipsch are hooked up to. Because the Khorns are so efficient, you may not be able to get the levels matched with the center and rears. Assuming you have an outboard power amplifier for the mains, you can use in-line attenuaters to drop the voltage by 10 dB or whatever is needed.

Quick Reply: Klipschorn