Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Sony 55 LED TVs

Old 11-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sony 55 LED TVs

Hi Guys,

The wife and I are buying a new home and we are looking at a new entertainment system. We aren't really AV people, so we don't plan to go crazy with this stuff. But since the house is wired for surround sound (closet to hide receiver, blu ray, etc), we are starting to look at TVs, speakers (maybe Polk or Klipsch).

Anyway, what are your thoughts on refresh rates. I wouldnt go below 120. But one person into AV stuff said 240 and higher isn't really noticeable and is a waste? Any thought on that. There are 55" Sony LED TVs with, 120, 240, and I think one with 480. Any pros or cons to consider? Also one has a special Corning made "Gorilla Glass.". Any pros/cons or experience with it. I think the TV with it weighs about 18lbs more than a similar one without. Thanks for any thoughts you have on the
Best regards,
Dino
Old 11-25-2011, 12:24 AM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a read.

TV Refresh Rate Explained: 60Hz vs. 120Hz, 240Hz, and Beyond

By Will Greenwald

February 3, 2011
19 Comments

If you're in the market for an HDTV, you've probably heard a lot about "speed." When ads and reviews talk about how fast an HDTV is, they're referring to the display's refresh rate, or how often it changes the picture. Television and movies don't show actual motion so much as dozens and hundreds of frames per second, like a reel of film or a huge flipbook. The faster the HDTV, the more frames it displays per second.

So the faster the refresh rate, the better the HDTV, right? More frames look smoother, right? In theory: yes. In marketing: very yes. In practice: not so much.
Read the full article here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Thanks SpeedGT3

Great article, and a good source for my reseach!
Old 11-28-2011, 01:08 AM
gvtesse
Racer

interesting read. I was wondering about the refresh rates as well recently when shopping for a new LED TV.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 AM
emming
5th Gear

I heard on the news that electronics get more expensive now before christmas and that everyone should wait after the holidays before buying a new TV. I don't need a new TV set at the moment, but I own a Sony LED TV which I bought last december and I'm satisfied with it! I can recommend it.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I work at Sony Centre here in Australia(an all Sony retail outlet). The TV's can only do 240 Hz maximum. The higher motionflow 480 or 960, refers to events(LED blinking) but not actual Hz. If you are tossing up between NX720 Hx820 and HX 925(thats the model designation here), then just go with the best that you can afford, as they all have an awesome picture IMO.

60Hz to 120Hz is a day and night thing, as anyone can see it, but 240 Hz is very subtle improvement over 120Hz, but it can be seen. The reason to go for the 240Hz model isn't the Hz as such, it's the better X-reality pro processing engine. It will give better results with lower quality content like IPTV or SD broadcasts.

The reason to step up to the top end model is it's proper matrix or grid back lighting system, as opposed to the edge lighting in the lower models. It has a noticeably brighter picture while still having better contrast.

The gorilla glass(in the opti-contrast screens) does help with sharpness, as it has a better refractive index than glass. Its also lighter, stronger and more scratch resistant. This is all good and it easy to see the better picture on these over the lower quality LCD panels used in the EX series.

At the end of the day I would be happy with any of them, but if I could pull off a win in powerball I'd go the top of range model in a heartbeat. If you want to buy an extra set of any of those models and ship one over to me, I'd be eternally grateful
hope it helps
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGT3
Have a read.

Read the full article here

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp
Sorry i disagree with this article. Especially when dealing with gaming and fast moving pictures. I agree no more than 240 is needed but most TV's today show ghosting at lower than 240 refresh rates. Many 240hz TV's aren't what they say either.

The only TV's i have been impressed with lately other than same old plasmas are the new Sharp Aquos Quattron line. One of the best pictures on the market period an amazing TV all around. If you can spare $2100 the LC60LE835U is probably the best bang for your buck and won't disappoint. I have spent crazy money on TV's and this is about as good as you can get today and at what I consider a reasonable price.

I also find that unlike most LED/LCD panels the sharp is not overly saturated in color as most LCD's are and has amazing contrast with the best whites and blacks on the market.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
greenr
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would add that the Sony hx929 is really impressive. I am not a Sony fan by any means, but when it came time to buy a new 55", I bought the Sony (and the 70" Sharp Quattron!!).
Old 11-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience and what I've read, if you are a gamer and/or watch a lot of Blue Ray then go 240. If not then the 120 is fine. Skip the 60s.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM
chichas01
Track Day

I went through this search myself a while back. Lots of online research and standing in front of TVs for hours thinking I'd get an LED and then I saw plasma and and changed my mind. Whatever choice you go with, compare it to an equivalent plasma monitor before you make your final decision would be my suggestion.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info on TVs. Cyberpunky, your description of the various attributes of the Sony's was very helpful. My wife and I are not gamers, so a 240 refresh rate was not a "must have" for us. After a lot of online research, the opinions of a few friends that are more into AV stuff than I am, we went into a furniture store without thinking about tvs only to find that the store shares space and profit with a TV center. We looked at different TVs and found they were offering the Sony 55" NX720 we had seen at other stores, but at a great sale price. So we bought it.

Now I can start looking at other things like recievers, blu rays, and speakers. Thanks again.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info on TVs. Cyberpunky, your description of the various attributes of the Sony's was very helpful. My wife and I are not gamers, so a 240 refresh rate was not a "must have" for us. After a lot of online research, the opinions of a few friends that are more into AV stuff than I am, we went into a furniture store without thinking about tvs only to find that the store shares space and profit with a TV center. We looked at different TVs and found they were offering the Sony 55" NX720 we had seen at other stores, but at a great sale price. So we bought it.

Now I can start looking at other things like recievers, blu rays, and speakers. Thanks again.

Best regards,
Dino

Good choice. I could happily live with an NX720 although a 40" would be better for my set up(small room).

Something to consider with amp and Bluray, is that going all Sony will mean one remote. That always has a high wife approval factor I wouldn't go Sony speakers though, but there receivers and blurays are nice.
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Something to consider with amp and Bluray, is that going all Sony will mean one remote.
Not really.

There are many outstanding uiniversal remotes out there.

As the OP has his processors in a separate closet he will want a remote with an IR expander capability so that he can control components without line-of-sight.

I have the Harmony 1100 (previously had the Harmony 1000 for 10 years) with IR extender and highly recommend it for ease of setup and ease of use.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...6420118598431#

My components are hidden away in the cabinet located to the left of the TV ( a Samsung 58" plasma).

Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Not really.

There are many outstanding uiniversal remotes out there.

As the OP has his processors in a separate closet he will want a remote with an IR expander capability so that he can control components without line-of-sight.

I have the Harmony 1100 (previously had the Harmony 1000 for 10 years) with IR extender and highly recommend it for ease of setup and ease of use.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...6420118598431#

My components are hidden away in the cabinet located to the left of the TV ( a Samsung 58" plasma).

I think you mean RF not IR. i have both the Harmony 1000 and 1100 along with an earlier marantz controller. The logitec works nicely although I prefer the marantz it is no longer available and was too costly.

If you want some wild stuff this is another option albeit costly but can control many more items if you want to go crazy.

http://www.universalremote.com/

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy the big screen viewing.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

IR, RF it's all the same.

Here's the RF extender that goes with the 1100. The little IR transmitters plug into this unit.

Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sony 55 LED TVs