Sponsored by:

PCM Skips Radio Stations

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PCM Skips Radio Stations

The manual for the PCM in my car is very thick and complicated. I have not been able to find an answer to my issue. The issue is that the radio will automatically change stations. The tuner moves from whatever channel I have selected to a channel I've never selected. Then 5 minutes later the tuner returns to the original station I had selected. 15 minutes later, the tuner repeats itself.

This is either a malfunction or there is a feature in the PCM that allows for auto cycling of stations.

What am I missing here?

TIA
Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Mine is goofy also it un mutes itself sometimes, I agree that the manual is not helpful. Let me know if you make any headway.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:17 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Select "Audio", then hit "Set" and disable RBDS (RDBS?). The radio has a feature that moves to a news-available station when RBDS is on. Unfortunately, you have to go through this process each time the car is started.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your radio might be set on scan or seek, when you hit a station you like just hold down one of the buttons on the keypad until you hear a beep.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Your radio might be set on scan or seek, when you hit a station you like just hold down one of the buttons on the keypad until you hear a beep.
It's not exactly Seek or Scan. It's like a ping pong ball. Station 1, Station 2, Station 1, Station 2.......etc. Regardless of which station I chose, it will go back to the same station (i.e. 1, 2, 1,2, 1, 7, 1,7, 1, 9, 1, 9 etc) Always goes back to Station 1!
Old 03-27-2017, 06:05 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default Problem Solved!

The skipping stations is apparently related to traffic reporting. In scrolling though the PCM screens, I went to the Audio screen, and there is a function entitled "Traffic report" that was checked for my car. I removed the check mark, and the skipping issue I described above in no longer there. The "traffic" function must have to do with traffic reporting for the PCM. And, since I purchased the car in Calif, the preselected "traffic" channel turned out to be some obscure FM channel here in Chicago.

Not to belabor the point, but I was never able to find any reference to this PCM function in the huge PCM Manual that accompanied the car. So, am not sure how the "traffic" check marked in Audio is related to my skipping channel issue. But, it now appears to be fixed.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

It's designed to scan for traffic updates.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:05 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
It's designed to scan for traffic updates.
Chris,

I get that. But, how does that explain the radio's tendency to shift to the "traffic channel" and not return to my selected channel?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

That I don't know, but I rarely set it to traffic.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenomore
Select "Audio", then hit "Set" and disable RBDS (RDBS?). The radio has a feature that moves to a news-available station when RBDS is on. Unfortunately, you have to go through this process each time the car is started.
This is the fix. RDBS with try to pick up the sub channel some stations broadcast. We use to have this really bad here in Houston with a few stations. What sucks is you have to disable this every time you start the car.

Quick Reply: PCM Skips Radio Stations