New Owner Intro III

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Lief
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Intro III

Hello
I just thought I would make three, 2007 997tt. I looked for about 2 years at 996tt's and found this and quickly changed my mind. Ironically it was made available by an investment in Ferrari stock. (RACE)
I just bought the car on 10/7/17 from the original owner and drove home. 100% stock/original 25k miles, Slate Grey, Black interior, Sport Chrono, Adaptive Seats, multi-function steering wheel.
First Porsche for me. So, I'm enjoying it.
I had a PPI done by the CO Springs P dealer so no issues. I would love any advice on what to do/lookout for. Not my daily driver.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Lief; 10-11-2017 at 09:36 PM. Reason: change title
Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 PM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is your east coast cousin...I bought mine in Feb this year, had to have a radiator and temp sensor changed a few months in, other than that it's been smooth sailing.

In terms of what to do, get an exhaust, totally changes the character of the car - coming from an NA V8 I was missing something with this car. Unless you like the low profile of the quiet exhaust...

Old 10-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Nice looking car.

Some basic things to be aware of.

Learn where the body water drains are and be sure they are free of any trash build up.

After a wash or driving in the rain check the door bottoms/carpets for any moisture. Door membranes can leak and let water into the dry side of of the door. This wants to be detected early and addressed promptly.

Check the radiator ducts for similar trash build up. These cars with the radiator fans running are just expensive hoover vacuum cleaner sucking up all plant and other trash that gets too close to the radiator air intakes.

Judicious application of an air nozzle can blow the stuff out -- wear eye protection -- but more severe cases of trash accumulation can require the front bumper cover be removed to gain better access to the trash.

Use an approved oil with the proper viscosity grade for your area -- as in if you live drive in extreme cold (defined by Porsche as -25C or colder -- use 0w-40 oil. If you are in the Colorado Springs area I think you're going to experience some cold weather so use 0w-40 year 'round would be my advice.

Be sure you drive the car easy until the engine is fully up to temperature. Even in mile weather this can take some time.

Don't run the oil too long. My SOP has to been to change the oil in both my Boxster and 996 Turbo every 5K miles. Over 315K miles on the Boxster engine and over 158K miles on the Turbo engine and both run just as good as the day I bought the cars.

If you don't cover 5K miles in a year change the oil yearly.

Brake fluid flush/bleed is due every 2 years.

Other services mostly due on miles though spark plugs can be due on time.

There is the engine air filter but also a cabin air filter. That cabin air filter -- just like the engine air filter -- can collect a lot of trash. The filter, the filters, should be replaced on schedule.

For low miles cars tires can get old before they wear out. (My 2003 996 Turbo came to me used in 2009 with just 10K miles. The tires were original and the dealer replaced them.)

If the tires are 6 years old they should be replaced.

Last but not least, make the car your daily driver. Who you saving the miles for?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Great composition for your 1 picture you posted. Please post interior pics when you have a minute as I'm having a slow news day here and I need to drool over something.

I'm sure you'll enjoy this car as much as we have. I simply bring my car into the dealer to have them do everything that's needed as no time or mechanical skills.

Had you ever thought of eventually upgrading the wheels to something different? Your color combo is perfect for that year. Dark grey/black interior is a very "manly color".
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 AM
JSF721
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A few things to look out for:

1. The Police-you will most likely be exceeding the speed limit on the parkways. You just don't feel the speed in these cars especially if you don't DD the car.

2. Dumb grin syndrome. When I mash the gas, the smile just manifests itself and even when I get out of the car, it last for quite a while.

Enjoy the car, I have had mine nice since 2011 and it never gets old. Took a road trip in Auguat 1300 miles in 4 days, car was flawless!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:48 AM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome from another Slate Grey owner!

Very nice, love the darker interiors on Slate.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lief
Hello
I just thought I would make three, 2007 997tt. I looked for about 2 years at 996tt's and found this and quickly changed my mind. Ironically it was made available by an investment in Ferrari stock. (RACE)
I just bought the car on 10/7/17 from the original owner and drove home. 100% stock/original 25k miles, Slate Grey, Black interior, Sport Chrono, Adaptive Seats, multi-function steering wheel.
First Porsche for me. So, I'm enjoying it.
I had a PPI done by the CO Springs P dealer so no issues. I would love any advice on what to do/lookout for. Not my daily driver.
Looks like you made another good investment

Congrats, you will love it.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Lief
Cruisin'

Steve, I added some interior pics. Yes, I have thought about some wheels similar to yours.

MK, I like your yellow calipers on the Slate Grey. I waited way too long to find this color combo with low miles/condition.

theplings, looks like a twin

SO, I have not read the manual yet, but can someone tell me if I can hook up my iPhone to the phone system in this car? It does not look like there is any Bluetooth but there is some phone buttons on the steering wheel and center console.

Macster, Thanks for all the helpful advise. I am in Phoenix and I am battling heat not cold. Is 0w40 still the best for heat?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice find.

Ive been saying this, there are still a lot of good cars out there, you just have to look and be ready

Enjoy the boost!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:57 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful new ride. Take a look at the link below to our site's DIY tech articles on the 997 platform in case you're going to be doing your own maintenance or any repairs down the line. Please let us know if you have any questions!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/997_tech.htm
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-01-2017, 12:19 PM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Love the car man!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:37 PM
Lief
Cruisin'

Thanks, I saw yours a several months ago when you posted. Very nice. I love this car!!!! I have had a few enjoyable rides, (2006 JCW Mini, 1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto) but nothing like this beast. ;-)
I need a new front lip spoiler, prev owner liked to taste curbs. Any suggestions?

Mine is still stock, but I am thinking of some upgrades in a year or so.
Looks like you are an aviator? I fly A320's for AA. It's a great time to get hired by an airline (so they say) ...
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39 PM
USNA12
Banned

Thanks, I saw yours a several months ago when you posted. Very nice. I love this car!!!! I have had a few enjoyable rides, (2006 JCW Mini, 1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto) but nothing like this beast. ;-)
I need a new front lip spoiler, prev owner liked to taste curbs. Any suggestions?

Looks like you are an aviator? I fly A320's for AA. It's a great time to get hired by an airline (so they say) ...
I just got one off Ebay, I will install this weekend and let you know how it is. I may purchase another and get it painted to match the car. Possibly going to LED tails from ECS tuning in a few months and bigger injectors for a stage 3 tune.

I would love to get hired by an airline, unfortunately I am in the marine corps control until July 9th 2023
Old 12-01-2017, 12:41 PM
USNA12
Banned

Also email me at leghaj@gmail.com if youre interested in a new exhaust. my Speedtech 2.5in catted system is for sale. It is a great sound, but I wanted something a bit more visceral. All my Ducatis are highly modded/tuned and loud so why not have a car that matches.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Beautiful TT. Perfect color combination. Hope to own the same or close year model soon.

Quick Reply: New Owner Intro III