Sponsored by:

Center console removal? How to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 11:47 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Center console removal? How to?

I want to remove my center console to repaint. Are there instructions or "how to" posts anywhere?

I've searched.

Thanks

08 with 6 speed.....
Old 03-11-2017, 12:59 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I assume you mean rear center console?

There are several online, but I've used this one before when I had my 987 Cayman,

The 997 is the same except that it has the extra coin holder added on the end..

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...sole-swap.html

There are some clarifications in the comments section for those first-timers..
Old 03-11-2017, 01:35 PM
C's Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like MA Carbon's instructional video. Reinstalled last week. Buddy of mine refinished it in original flat black. Came out like new!! Go slow and use the blue tool kit and blue painters tape. My interior door latch trim was also in need of replacement. Removing door panels is a lit'l tricky. Console project was easier in my opinion,
Good luck
Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by saabin
I assume you mean rear center console?

There are several online, but I've used this one before when I had my 987 Cayman,

The 997 is the same except that it has the extra coin holder added on the end..

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...sole-swap.html

There are some clarifications in the comments section for those first-timers..
Yes I suppose...the one between the seats...not quite sure why it would be referred to as "rear"?? I'd call it the "center console"...

That's a great link, thanks!
Old 03-11-2017, 02:37 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Originally Posted by C's Turbo
I like MA Carbon's instructional video. Reinstalled last week. Buddy of mine refinished it in original flat black. Came out like new!! Go slow and use the blue tool kit and blue painters tape. My interior door latch trim was also in need of replacement. Removing door panels is a lit'l tricky. Console project was easier in my opinion,
Good luck
Great! Thanks!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:08 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by C's Turbo
Good luck
heard the same about that guy Pepe that lives up in Broward County. Hear the guy is a master with the paint gun!

Last edited by atcbi5; 03-12-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

The B&M Short Shift Kit instructions are pretty clear too....if you need.

http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/45135.pdf

Be very careful with painting - the material is not average, and most shops truly do not deal with it well. We offer painting if needed, but if your shop will guarantee the work you should be ok....just be sure they know what they are dealing with because 'soft touch' is a beeaatch to work with. We've been painting consoles for more than fifteen years. Seen quite a few where 'they tried'....

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

The following users liked this post:
Needsdecaf (01-18-2021)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
The B&M Short Shift Kit instructions are pretty clear too....if you need.

http://files.dpbrands.com/bm/instructions/45135.pdf

Be very careful with painting - the material is not average, and most shops truly do not deal with it well. We offer painting if needed, but if your shop will guarantee the work you should be ok....just be sure they know what they are dealing with because 'soft touch' is a beeaatch to work with. We've been painting consoles for more than fifteen years. Seen quite a few where 'they tried'....
Thanks Eric!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:34 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Soft touch is not an issue if you know what you are doing😀. If you just paint over it, happy birthday. Proper painting prep work is needed along with products not found at Autozone or local Walmart. Professional products need to be used, the knowledge of such products is paramount. Applying the products....priceless. Labor is usually high since manual removal is mandatory. No sanding with machines or sandpaper. Knowledge of plastics and solvents is a must. Removal of soft touch is not anything you want to tackle yourself. Pepe can personally and will spray the soft touch only by request. I hear nobody takes him up on soft touch. Most of them say, get that &$(; off!
Old 01-17-2021, 05:15 PM
George Linares
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question on the rear bin behind the storage lid. Does that come out with the center console? or does it have additional screws to remove? Thanks all
Old 01-17-2021, 06:38 PM
ky13
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by George Linares
Question on the rear bin behind the storage lid. Does that come out with the center console? or does it have additional screws to remove? Thanks all
No additional screws. It comes out with the center console.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:50 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Look at the online instructions for numeric shifter installation step by step and well written.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:54 PM
George Linares
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am ready to have the whole center console wrapped in leather. Thanks!!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Soft touch is not an issue if you know what you are doing😀. If you just paint over it, happy birthday. Proper painting prep work is needed along with products not found at Autozone or local Walmart. Professional products need to be used, the knowledge of such products is paramount. Applying the products....priceless. Labor is usually high since manual removal is mandatory. No sanding with machines or sandpaper. Knowledge of plastics and solvents is a must. Removal of soft touch is not anything you want to tackle yourself. Pepe can personally and will spray the soft touch only by request. I hear nobody takes him up on soft touch. Most of them say, get that &$(; off!
Yeah, mine is pretty pristine, but it's scary how easily it scratches. When it gets bad enough, will be replaced by a painted version.

Quick Reply: Center console removal? How to?