Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension - This can't be that difficult!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Suspension - This can't be that difficult!

So, I may be crazy, but I decided to install my H&R springs on my 997.1 Turbo myself. Until now, my biggest concern was working around those ridiculously expensive PCCBs. Now I'm confronted with an obstacle that I just cannot believe is this difficult.
I replaced the springs on the rear with no difficulty whatsoever and at this point I've removed the front strut assembly, but I can't, for the life of me, get the top of the spring perch removed. There is a cup washer with two notches on either side that needs to be held stationary in order to remove the nut. There is a special tool to do this, which I do not have and costs hundreds of dollars. I do not want to pay for what will most likely be a one time use. I've called Porsche dealerships and independents all over the place. The dealerships want to charge me an hour worth of labor to do 5 minutes of work. Every independent I've called doesn't have the tool! This cannot be this difficult!

Here are some photos of the the rear for fun. I'll get some photos of the front...

Old 03-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Pay the dealer an hour. Worth every penny if it keeps your PCCBs safe from damage.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:45 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you have a picture of the top part you are talking about?
Old 03-09-2017, 07:13 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the rotors off if you think you may damage them. Usually you can zip the nuts off with a 1/2 inch impact.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:00 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a spanner pin wrench is needed to fix the washer while you remove the nut. Try using needle nose pliers that have a 90 degree bend to the ends which allows you to capture the holes in the washer.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:38 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a doc on my Google Drive. Should be helpful. Very clear on how the tool(s) works, so you can try another procedure?

Good Luck,
DC

STRUT REMOVAL LINK HERE
Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

User eclou had a nice thread on the topic several yrs ago.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:23 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Pay the dealer an hour. Worth every penny if it keeps your PCCBs safe from damage.
Well, I already have the struts out, so the car isn't going anywhere. And, as you can see here, I've been pretty careful. This isn't my first rodeo

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Do you have a picture of the top part you are talking about?
Here you go...

Originally Posted by earossi
Sounds like a spanner pin wrench is needed to fix the washer while you remove the nut. Try using needle nose pliers that have a 90 degree bend to the ends which allows you to capture the holes in the washer.
I tried using needle nose pliers with a 90deg bend on the ends. Not strong enough. I tried using a long, extended needle nose pliers. Not strong enough. I tried regular vise grips. Not enough clearance to get a good grip.
Sooooo... I got impatient today and went to a local shops -- 3R Racing. They were very helpful. They didn't have the proper tool, but they simply used a needle nose vise grip pliers. It took them about ten minutes to remove nut and perch, replace spring, reinstall perch and nut. I'm kicking myself, because I could've gone and bought a $10 needle nose vise grip, but I didn't know. Luckily, they only charged me half an hour of time and gave me a discount on top of that!

There is also another possible solution that Aaron at 3R Racing told me about. You could use a double nut lock to hold the threaded strut in place to break the spring perch nut free and get it started. On my strut there was not enough room to get double jam nuts.

Problem solved. Thanks for stepping in to help, guys

Art
Old 03-10-2017, 08:24 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Easy...Im guessing you have something to compress the strut.

A local parts store should have a spanner wrench. Get one of these and hold it. If you have too grind the spanner wrench to fit.

Also would have someone hold the wrench as you try and turn the nut much easier.

Get some PB blaster on those threads and some LIGHT heat on that nut. Just be careful not to burn the wire for the PASM

Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Also get one of these.....impact screwdriver for those rotors screws....most kits about 20-50 bucks.

Just too scary working around those rotors
Old 03-10-2017, 04:05 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great that you got it apart. Just remembered that another way to break that nut free is to use an air powered impact wrench which you could have used with your needle nosed pliers. Agree with a previous poster that a spring compressor should also be used.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:10 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by earossi
Great that you got it apart. Just remembered that another way to break that nut free is to use an air powered impact wrench which you could have used with your needle nosed pliers. Agree with a previous poster that a spring compressor should also be used.
Using an impact wrench is what I always do when taking shocks/struts apart; however, remember that this is a PASM unit (wire comes out of the top of the strut nut) so impact tools will not work in this case.
Also, generally speaking, spring compressors are a must, but these oem springs are not under much load so the compressors are not actually needed. I used them, but the techs at the shop that removed the springs from the struts for me did not.
Do not hold me accountable for my statements.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:18 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used impact using a special socket. Off in 5 seconds

Quick Reply: Suspension - This can't be that difficult!