Sponsored by:

Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by monty007
beautiful car! Let me know how it is with the hard top driving around when you get the car home. I have almost the same car in Basalt black and considering the hard top.

Enjoy in good health!
Hi Monty,

I was in the car for almost two hours yesterday during which we were on the freeway doing speed. And, we maneuvered around and over a number of speed bumps, and the top hardly made a squeak. And, that infrequent squeak was from the rubber gasket between the top and the windshield.

I am so glad that I ended up with one. Not sure that I would have taken on the added expense for something not knowing whether I would like it or not. But, it transforms the car in that sounds become isolated. The exhaust note is heavily muted when the windows are up.

Visibility out the rear is fine. And the top has leather padding which matches the cars interior. The seller told me that he had to color match the leather dye to the interior. They look identical to me.

The only negatives to the hard top is that they weigh 75 pounds; and, other than the fact that it takes two people (or a ceiling hoist) to install/remove the top, 75 pounds will impact acceleration of the car (not that that is much of an issue given the horsepower of these cars). The second negative is that "unlatching" the top from the car requires the use of a special wrench to bolt the top in the rear. In the front, the central latching system used on the soft top is used in the same manner soft or hard top.

Knowing what I now know, I would do it again with no hesitancy. More than likely you will have to have the top finished to match your cars interior and exterior. And, you may have to source top hardware. My understanding is that since most of the tops were supplied with the 996 cars, and that the 996 hardware may be slightly different than for a 997 you may have to do some modifying.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Not only is midnight blue the best looking color, it's also the fastest 😬

You will love it!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks great, congrats!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:55 PM
ThewhippetsS5
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hardtop buddies!! I love how mine looks with the hardtop. Gives you a lot of flexibility

Congrats on the pickup!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Retinasurgeon
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the natural brown leather interior. I have NBL in my car and people always remark about how wonderful it looks. Enjoy the car, it looks beautiful and the hard top looks great on it.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:09 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Love the color combination, and I think you did well to buy from an enthusiast. The price may have seemed rich, but I suspect the value will come through over time. I'm sure he loved and cared for it.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:12 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ernie,
I don't remember the hard top feeling that heavy too me. 75lbs? Maybe. It's aluminum, no?

The issue with the hardware is that Porsche stopped installing it sometime late in the 996's or early in the 997 run. They also used two different types of receivers for the rear. You need to know which male hardware you have on your top before installing the correct female hardware on the car.

As you know I had two cars with hardtops. I found them to be a waste of time and space....especially space. But yours looks great. Good luck with your new Turbo.

I'm on my way to Werks Reunion this morning. 650 Porsches!
Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Very nice!!
Old 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM
thegrayman
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice car, congrats!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:22 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Very very nice car Ernie. Roll on summer huh
Old 03-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 441 Posts

Gorgeous car, great to have that top. I'd want it too since I live in the Northeast. You must be overjoyed!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Gorgeous car, great to have that top. I'd want it too since I live in the Northeast. You must be overjoyed!
Trucker just called. Car will be delivered this evening at between 8 and 10 which is not optimal, but I'll take it. We have a major snow event coming in less than 48 hours. Hopefully, I'll get the 997 tucked away well in advance of the storm.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default Delivered

This has got to be some sort of record. I had tentatively arranged for transport of the car from Southern CA to Chicago before going out there to do an inspection. I made that trip this last Wednesday. My inspection was over by 11 in the morning, and as the Seller and I were having lunch, the phone rings. The transport company wanted to know if the car was ready to ship since they had a truck going out that night!

The car was picked up by 5:30 Wednesday afternoon and delivered to me at 11 pm tonight (Saturday). Not bad for a 2000 mile haul. The only negative was having to inspect the car in the dark.

This is a wonderful end to my story since we are expecting our first major snow storm of the season beginning Sunday evening. So, the car was delivered with about 20 hours ahead of the storm.

The car is filthy from the open transport, which will give me something to do in the morning. Right now its 20 degrees outside, but my heated garage is set at 60 for my new toy.

This is the second successful use of Montway to transport cars.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:56 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice car. The blue and natural leather brown is a great combo.

With the bad weather coming up is a good time to detail it. If you look at the last picture you'll notice a lot of swirls. This is caused by years of washing with a normal sponge, trapping grit between the paint and sponge.
Did it myself for years I admit, but this guy's videos helped a lot a few years ago:

Old 03-12-2017, 03:55 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 295 Posts

Good news. Had a similar quick delivery experience with montway on a cross country transport.

Quick Reply: Finally!