Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 vs 2007-2008 premium

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 04:01 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, I still don't see the true value in an 09.

Apart from the radio and build date, there is absolutely no difference. I don't own either, and looking from a neutral point of view,,, they're the same car and the values probably won't diverge drastically.

Buy a 2009 PCM. That's the only difference and not worthy of being called a 997.1.5
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

So if you found two identical cars, an 09 and and 07, for the same price, you'd just flip a coin on which to buy?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:36 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
I'm sorry, I still don't see the true value in an 09.

Apart from the radio and build date, there is absolutely no difference. I don't own either, and looking from a neutral point of view,,, they're the same car and the values probably won't diverge drastically.

Buy a 2009 PCM. That's the only difference and not worthy of being called a 997.1.5
Actually the PCM3 has more than an improved Bose system over the PCM2, I has a larger touch screen NAV and a slightly redesigned center stack, as it loses the keypad required for the phone. The new system also adds Bluetooth, satellite radio, and universal audio interface, but I think most of these were optional so they had to be ordered.
Does any of this demand a premium? That's all up to the buyer and how they value these items. When these cars were newer the 09 carried a premium simply because it was newer car. As these all age it comes down to condition, mileage, specs etc and it less about specific model year. All that said the combination of the updated features along with the fact that it's the last year for the Mezger engine probably means the 09 will carry some premium, but it won't be large over a similar 07-08.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:56 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Or you can install a modern touchscreen head unit with all the bells and whistles (including a really helpful backup camera) and make this silly debate a moot point. Purists will complain but hell 90% of these cars have one mod or another. I still have the original head unit and can switch back if needed when I sell it.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bond jockey, can you post some pics of your head unit, very interested.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Toddvr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last question...anybody have experience or know of chances of coolant issue rearing its head? Maybe there is a Forum discussion I'm missing on this too.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:09 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Bond jockey, can you post some pics of your head unit, very interested.
Here is a picture I took recently. I'll take a more direct picture tomorrow. It is an Alpine unit.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought my 08 turbo. Drove it 1 day. I'm already planning on some kind of aftermarket radio switch. I'm shocked how outdated the current unit is. I'm looking for carplay, backup camera, etc. However, the cost to do this is crazy. I estimate the parts to be about $2k alone. I also need to send out the aftermarket surround to be leather wrapped to match my cocoa interior. My goal is to have it look as factory as possible. As difficult it is to accept these costs, I cant seem find a simple solution. On top of that, in my location, I'm going to have to do everything myself as there's no one here I'm comfortable with doing the switch. So much work. How could Porsche miss the boat so much on an entertainment system in 2008?
​​​​​
Old 03-13-2017, 09:35 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
I just bought my 08 turbo. Drove it 1 day. I'm already planning on some kind of aftermarket radio switch. I'm shocked how outdated the current unit is. I'm looking for carplay, backup camera, etc. However, the cost to do this is crazy. I estimate the parts to be about $2k alone. I also need to send out the aftermarket surround to be leather wrapped to match my cocoa interior. My goal is to have it look as factory as possible. As difficult it is to accept these costs, I cant seem find a simple solution. On top of that, in my location, I'm going to have to do everything myself as there's no one here I'm comfortable with doing the switch. So much work. How could Porsche miss the boat so much on an entertainment system in 2008?
​​​​​
Please post some pictures when you're done. I'd love to upgrade, but everything I look at looks aftermarket & I'm after the stock look also.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by ble2011
​​​​​
The PCM system in the .1 cars was designed before the original iPhone existed. It was also designed in Europe, where it's more common to move SIM cards from one phone to the next. In 2005, the system wasn't that bad.

Look at MoBridge or Denison units. I added a MoBridge unit to my 2008 997. It gave me streaming bluetooth audio, bluetooth telephone connectivity using the OE system (phonebook, caller ID), etc. it's not perfect, but it's a big upgrade and it retains the OE look.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:42 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Unless you wanna spend a few grand to upgrade the entire PCM or messing around with wiring hardness, I have a perfect solution. This combo allow me to use Bluetooth on my iPhone, answering the calls, retain the OEM outdated PCM and works 100% with clear sound and zero distortion. I even take both with me on vacation with rental cars and WAZE (priceless app and live traffic and cops report)
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2017, 02:36 PM
porsche bud
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bondjockey
Here is a picture I took recently. I'll take a more direct picture tomorrow. It is an Alpine unit.
Would love to see more photos if you have any.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The nulaxy works great, i have it in my Jeep, wouldn't want it in a porsche though.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my upgrade

Old 03-14-2017, 03:48 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bondjockey
Originally Posted by porsche bud
Would love to see more photos if you have any.

Here is a picture of my head unit. I don't think anyone would ever mistake it for OEM, but the double DIN touchscreen units today have very few buttons, which makes the overall look very unobtrusive. This in contrast to non touchscreen aftermarket head units that have lots of very non-OEM looking buttons, colors, and "styling". bondjockey's head unit appears to be much larger than mine or any others I have seen. Notice how much closer his is to HVAC vents above and controls below. It looks a bit too large in my opinion. Ibanezgod's looks very nice. I like how flush it is. Mine pokes out a bit more than I like due to it being motorized (opens to accept CDs or DVDs) . I assume Ibanezgod is a fixed face, allowing it to be more flush.

Quick Reply: 2009 vs 2007-2008 premium