PCCB Owners - Steel or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PCCB Owners - Steel or not

Hi All,

This weekend I was able to pickup a 2007 Turbo. I wasn't really looking for a car with PCCB due to potential maintenance cost nightmares, but this car came with the option.

I'm doing an overall maintenance plan for the car and wanted to see everyone's thoughts. The car will not be seeing track time and it is a weekend cruiser/canyon carver. I do not consider myself an aggressive driver either but do like to do some highway WOT pulls.

With that said, I know the cost per rotor is around $5,000, obviously something that would scare most sane people. The fronts have 6MM left and the rears 7MM and from my research, everyone says to replace the pads at around 50% usage to ensure the conditions of the rotors. If that is the case, I believe I am at that time (13MM pad right?)

When I priced out the pads, I'm looking at around $1,100 in parts for OEM pad replacement from SunCoast Porsche (front, rears and pad sensors)

Now with that in mind, I have a few questions

1. Once I replace the pads, with the type of driving based upon the above, how many miles do you think I can get on a set of pads until they reach 50% again?

2. A lot of people have said to convert to steel rotors and either sell the ceramic rotors or just keep them on the shelf. If converting, what is the "go to" setup? I'm assuming you just change out the rotor and different pads while keeping the caliper?

Thanks all!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:47 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
Hi All,
When I priced out the pads, I'm looking at around $1,100 in parts for OEM pad replacement from SunCoast Porsche (front, rears and pad sensors)

Thanks all!
Arent you in NorCal? The same parts from Sonnen Porsche are $925 and depending on where you are, you might even be able to pick up locally in Mill Valley and save shipping cost.. Just an option..
Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

HardHitter, How many miles on your turbo? I realize your driving style going forward might be different than the OP, but it would give you an indication. My 09 has 34K and I'm not ready to replace my pads yet. I'll get another read on that during my annual service which is coming up soon. Regardless of that I've come to learn that with proper care (i.e. no ham handed track time, and no letting the pads get too thin) the discs will last the life of the car. Beyond potential costs though there are some other things to consider. First, the PCCB's have unbelievable feel and pedal response, second, very little brake dust, third much reduced unsprung weight complementing ride and handling and finally they just look so cool. I haven't experienced any brake squeek either. I was ambivalent about PCCB's during my search too, but now that I have spent time with them I wouldn't have a TT without them. My advice, replace the pads, keep an eye on wear and enjoy the car. BTW, I think you have to change everything going to steel, including the calipers.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by 550bryan
HardHitter, How many miles on your turbo? I realize your driving style going forward might be different than the OP, but it would give you an indication. My 09 has 34K and I'm not ready to replace my pads yet. I'll get another read on that during my annual service which is coming up soon. Regardless of that I've come to learn that with proper care (i.e. no ham handed track time, and no letting the pads get too thin) the discs will last the life of the car. Beyond potential costs though there are some other things to consider. First, the PCCB's have unbelievable feel and pedal response, second, very little brake dust, third much reduced unsprung weight complementing ride and handling and finally they just look so cool. I haven't experienced any brake squeek either. I was ambivalent about PCCB's during my search too, but now that I have spent time with them I wouldn't have a TT without them. My advice, replace the pads, keep an eye on wear and enjoy the car.
The car just broke 61k miles. Which I guess that says a lot if they are the original pads but could the pads really last 60K miles? I got the MM measurements from the previous owners 60K maintenance service which he just had in October 2016
Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by saabin
Arent you in NorCal? The same parts from Sonnen Porsche are $925 and depending on where you are, you might even be able to pick up locally in Mill Valley and save shipping cost.. Just an option..
How were you able to figure out the pricing? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No track =PCCB is great for the street, plus no brake dust which saves tons of time cleaning the car
Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a place that reconditions pccbs used in road racing, fairly reasonable as I recall.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Sonnen has the best prices if you use their online webpage.
2) if no track, pccb.

That simple. Even if you do track replace w/ irons and have pccb handy.
I have my cars oem PCCB packed. Irons on car. I have the "better" uprights/ brake system.
That alone is worth getting a car w/ PCCB.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Leave your PCCBs on there. If you drive in a reasonable fashion, another 60k miles should be no issue.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
1) Sonnen has the best prices if you use their online webpage.
2) if no track, pccb.

That simple. Even if you do track replace w/ irons and have pccb handy.
I have my cars oem PCCB packed. Irons on car. I have the "better" uprights/ brake system.
That alone is worth getting a car w/ PCCB.
Ah finally found Sonnen's website. Can you guys confirm this is all I'll need to order to do the change?

Front Pads: 997-351-948-02
http://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com...ame=front-pads

Rear Pads: 997-352-947-02
http://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com...name=rear-pads

Left Wear Sensors: 997-612-754-00
http://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com...&position=left

Right Wear Sensors: 997-612-754-00
http://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com...position=right
Old 03-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

at 50% pad life, you shouldn't need to replace the wear sensors. Just remove from old and clip on new.

That said, if you plan to replace at 50% anyway, just remove the sensors and tie them up somewhere. They won't be helpful to you.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:09 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Bryon550's review.......I felt the same but am very happy with the PCCB's.
As said above - very sensitive on initial pedal engagement, much more than steel. It took me 2+ weeks to adapt, but now that I have, the pedal feel and other ++ attributes are unbelievable.
Now that I have the $10k+ option, it's hard to understand that cars without this option don't reflect a price difference.
All that said, I have had the steel for many years on my 996TT and they are great too. But I'm looking forward to less brake maintenance and dust free is a big deal too.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Bryon550 and MK19 are spot on. I have PCCBs on my 09TT and drove my friends 09TT back to back and I can assure you there is a difference in driving dynamics and bite. I also have a friend that tracks his 997.2 GT3RS and he couldn't believe how much bite the PCCBs have. Another guy I know traded in his 991 Turbo or Boxster? and bought the same one but equipped with with PCCBs... "I will never buy another Porsche without PCCBs, ever" were his words.
Leave the PCCBs on, keep an eye on the pads and rotate them once in a while as I've found they wear at an angle.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Best economical solution for iron rotors with the yellow calipers?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

To me, it would be insane to remove your PCCB's since brake dust is nil with them. For that reason alone, I would ONLY want a car with them now if it was an option I could easily get on it. PCCB's RULE! Just drive drive your car w/them, be grateful you have them and laugh at the poor saps having to clean their wheels every other day who don't have them ).

And that was said tongue in cheek, folks.

Quick Reply: PCCB Owners - Steel or not