Sponsored by:

Major Decision - Cab or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:12 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Major Decision - Cab or Coupe

I have a deposit down on an 08 cab with 32k miles on it; but, the more time I spend on this forum, I'm beginning to second guess my decision. Is the better investment a coupe? I tend to keep my cars 5 to 6 years; but, would want to purchase the model with the best resale. In reading this forum, I've noticed several things:

1. Many more cabs for sale versus coupes.
2. All things being equal, it "appears" coupes fetch an asking price about $10k higher than the equivalent cab.
3. Coupes seem to sell faster.

So, should I reconsider my purchase of a cab and continue to hunt for a coupe. I'm not sworn to either car. The issue is that if I were to put down $10k more for a coupe, would I recapture that money when I eventually sell the car? And, other than esthetics, is the driving pleasure or performance any better in a coupe than a cab?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Buy what you want in the car..

I already have a convertible in a different marque for that kind of driving, so when I was buying I never considered a cab for the turbo.

If resale is your primary concern, I'd say get the coupe; not sure its a 10K difference, but its def. not equal.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My opinion is that as an "investment" the demand will be for a coupe 6 speed.

If you don't care about the car as an investment (really who should) then as saabin noted, get the one you want which based upon you making a deposit, is going to be the cab.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you pay less, so it doesnt matter if you sell for less...equals it out, but I only coupe it
Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Only buy the car you want. You wanted a Cab, get the Cab for sure!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ernie,

The coupe will sell faster down the road, assuming all things, like condition, are equal.

The experience of driving a Cab is awesome. I love them. Of course, I don't race my car, or fancy myself a race car driver. This whole coupe over cab thing is a marketplace crock of poo in my opinion, but one that holds water price wise; God knows why?

I really don't understand the coupe demand. There will be plenty of people telling you how much stiffer they are, how they drive so much better and handle so well. I call BS. Maybe 1% or less of these people drive the cars hard enough to notice the difference.

But, they do sell for more down the road even though the Cabs have higher MSRP's. Riddle me that, Batman!

Buy the Cab. Did you get younger on your last birthday?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Only buy the car you want. You wanted a Cab, get the Cab for sure!!!
+1

Buy the car you want. Resale value (viewed as an investment) won't matter that much in 5 - 6 years, in my opinion. It's going to take longer than that.

I thought I wanted a coupe until I drove a 997 TT cabriolet. I'm now on my second 911 cabriolet, and I don't know if I'll ever go back to a coupe.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:02 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by NYNick
I really don't understand the coupe demand. There will be plenty of people telling you how much stiffer they are, how they drive so much better and handle so well. I call BS. Maybe 1% or less of these people drive the cars hard enough to notice the difference.
They just look better imho. The sloping roof + backside combo is the 911's defining design feature besides the headlights. Those things make up the "iconic" 911 shape.

If OP wants a cab though, he should get one. As mentioned, you may get less in resale down the line but you also pay less up front.

Last edited by Skwerl; 03-04-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:12 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I've owned both, coupe for sure. I'm seriously looking to replace my cab with a coupe in a month or so.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:36 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

First, they're all great cars and for the vast majority of people the performance demerits of a cab are a non issue. I do agree that the classic shape of a couple is better, but that's a personal opinion. There is one issue not covered yet and that the realities of owning a cab. i.e. never part one under a tree, the sap is darn near impossible to get out of the fabric. Birds aren't good either. The other issue with aging cabs is the appearance deterioration of the top and the cost associated with replacing it, a non issue on a couple of course. I think they are all factors in the initially higher priced cabs selling for less, with more time to sell. As an example I've been looking for a nice 91-92 964 coupe with no luck. I could buy one of many cabs today, but few coupes around and they sell in a nano second if they are a nice car. This is all the more true if it's a manual over a tip. Given all that, and current pricing supports this, a manual coupe will command the highest prices in the future. I also suspect the price gap will grow over either tips or cabs or both. Or course as an owner of an 09 manual coupe it could be wishful thinking on my part. In any case the cars are meant to be enjoyed, and at this point it's hard to call them an investment.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:09 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I've owned both Cab and Coupe, IMO driving experience with the open top is priceless. May be I live in a tropical island with 80* weather year round, the Cab seem more appropriate and enhance my driving experience. If you want Cab, go for it and cars are bad investment in general.
I own a coupe now but I really miss my Cab, may be in the near future I want to add a cabriolet in my line up (Audi R8 V10 Spyder Manual, need the wife approval on the third car though
Old 03-04-2017, 03:29 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

My previous 993 was a cab. I rarely put the top down. This may be because on the 993 you always had to put the cover on over the folded top. I also had my daughter with me most of the time and she didn't like the top down. But, on the rare occasion that I was alone on a hot summer night, there's nothing better than driving with the top down. My 997 I just bought is a coupe. I did check out the sunroof on the 997 and it's very "good". Your able to look up and actually see out of the sunroof instead of most newer vehicles where the sunroof opens behind your head which I find the sunroof useless then. Time will tell if I'll miss the cab.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Coupe, no question. Jmo of course.....
Old 03-04-2017, 05:22 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks to all for your opinions. As I think about it, its the largest car expenditure I've ever made. Which is a little unnerving. I recently sold my 993 for almost twice what I paid for it. I've taken those proceeds and am moving "almost" across for the purchase of the 997. I've owned two targas and one cab in my "Porsche life" and always enjoyed them.

I agree that from an esthetics standpoint, the coupe is hard to beat. But, the cab is not exactly ugly either. The car I am looking at has the optional hardtop, which I will use in Chicago cold weather. Then take it off and store it once Spring has sprung.

One of the positives is that I have located a car with a 6 speed manual, which was always my intent. That tranny and the bullet proof Mezger engine are what drew me to the 997......and of course, its resemblance to my beloved 993, which I will always miss.

I'll post pictures as soon as the deal is done.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:55 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Had both. Got tired of cleaning the cab top, especially bugs, winter rain, bird poop and road schmutz.

Quick Reply: Major Decision - Cab or Coupe