Sponsored by:

When Is A Tip Ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
Default When Is A Tip Ok?

If you were never going to track the car, and you drove frequently in normal stop and go traffic, would you consider a tip? Also, there are no good driving roads near me. Although there are world class driving roads 3-6 hours away. But everything where I live is flat and straight.

And if it came down to money, and you had to save another year for a manual, or you could get a tip now... Or you were trying to decide between a low mileage tip vs high mileage manual?

Or is the manual so much better that nothing could make you conside a tip?

Last edited by snaphappy; 02-27-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:09 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Completely personal chocie. Only you can answer.

BTW, it's "tip" for tiptronic, not trip.

Some have bought one and been fine with it, others have regreted it.

I have a 6MT and prefer it.

Others have said if you want a tip to get a PDK in the 2010 and later 997.2s.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:13 PM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Took me a minute to figure out what kind of trip you were planning but you mean TIP-tronic

You really should drive them both to decide. I got a manual because that is what I wanted from the start in a sport's car. Never looked at or drove a tip. But I can imagine a tip to be a blast too and very fast, esp. with an ECU and TCU tune.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:39 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 68 Posts

I may be in the minority here, but I almost think the more you drive, the more you should consider the tiptronic transmission.
I drive my 6-speed a lot, and there are quite a few times that I wish I had a tip... That said, all I have to do is sell it and find a nice tiptronic. I can't seem to make myself do it though, even though I would probably be able to put some money back in my pocket.
My point is, if you buy the wrong one just sell it and buy the right one. What ever you spend going in is going to be pretty close to what you can expect to get when going out if you do it in a short time period.

I'm on my 6th Porsche (all manual trans) and I love my current car, but I know it's not my last one and I will probably try a PDK next time.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:01 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I depends on what your driving situation daily and weekend.

I daily my MT cars because I basically drive HWY only. I plan ahead. I would know most of the time that I am just getting in the car, drive 40 mins in the HWY then exit to work already.

A MT is not bad on the city but I wouldnt want to tire myself. In fact, for the HWY, a MT and AUTO is thesame. Not too much effort.
If its a lot a traffic or traffic light, I would do a Tiptronic. Thats my first Porsche 997S.

You have to use it the best way how you know you will enjoy it. Its your fault if you get fed up with driving a MT when you use in the a stop and go traffic.

Ive owned a Tip, PDK, PDK-S, Ferrari DCT, SMG; and still am driving a MT. I have 4 MT cars right now and would not have it any other way.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:47 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. And thanks for the correction. I edited the post, so it says tip now 😉

I don't know how I'm going to test drive both. I'd have to find a dealer with both and fly out there. Probably worth doing. I drive a manual now and can't imagine an automatic, but there are so many pros and cons, especially money, haha. Big deal as a poor guy 🤔 Also the tip is bullet proof from what I've read, no clutch to worry about. But I think if my budget ends up restricting me to immaculate C2S vs Tip TT vs High Mileage Manual TT, I might go with the Tip.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Test drive the Tiptronic first. It's not a very modern automatic and it's pretty infuriating at times. I drove a 997 Carrera with Tip, but not a 997 Turbo...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:56 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

when i bought , i knew a lot of my driving would be short distance , around town with kids, etc.. i knew i really didn't want to deal with a manual. i am very happy with my purchase of a TIP , and with e85 and tcm tune, it's a rocket , you just have to think ahead more when driving it aggressively . almost 1 year later and i have no regrets .
Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 PM
HellaHashTags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 997TT clutch is one of the most traffic-friendly clutches I've ever driven - it's extremely soft and easy.
Another thing to consider is resale value: tiptronic cars are depreciating more quickly than manual cars. So even if you can afford to get into a tiptronic car now (because it's depreciated faster), you're going to end up losing less money long-term if you buy (and then go to resell later) the manual car.

But if this is going to be a rush hour traffic jam car, or if the user has knee/leg issues, then there's nothing wrong with a tip! It's a great value right now and can hold tremendous torque figures.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 AM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an 07 Turbo coupe with the tip a couple of months ago . I was not ready to spend the additional $20k for an MT with low miles .
Still got an incredible car that is captivating to look at and drive. I had a 996 C2 with a 6spd before and it was more engaging rowing gears, but it wasnt half the car a 997 TT is . The more i drive this one, the more fun it is , but it takes time to get used to it. In regular auto mode around town it is a little lethargic . Shifts into higher gears too fast. I use manual mode for those occasions.
. I guess i would agree that you should drive both before making a decision .
I plan on keeping this one a couple years , then trading up to a lower mile 997.2 TT 6spd if the right one shows up . May even try a PDK .
Good luck in your search .

Lou
Old 02-28-2017, 12:47 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

A TIP is Ok anyday, every day. Just do it! It's great in traffic, or when you're body can't easily do shifting/clutching anymore due to knee pain, or when you just don't feel like rowing gears.

I LOVE my PDK and would have been truly happy with a TIP as well if I couldn't swing the PDK's higher pricing. I just happened to have a really good year 2 years ago so I moved up to the newer car with PDK.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:00 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Find a used one (Tip) and go for a test drive.
I wouldn't kick one out of bed...
Old 02-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a daily driver where I didn't care about performance or the driving experience and just liked the car and was rich enough to have one as my A to B car, sure, but I'd venture to guess that not many people daily drive these cars. When I was in the market, I wouldn't even look at a Tip. When I opened an ad and got excited about the color, options, condition, mileage, or interior of a car, and then saw it was a tip, I immediately sigh'ed and promptly closed the ad. I'm not even a die hard 3 pedal guy anymore. I've had an SMG E46 M3 and a DCT E90 M3, and had an automatic Merc C350 (which didn't do it for me). I haven't owned a manual 3 pedal car since 2010, but I knew that in a car like this, I had to have a 3 pedal 6 speed manual (just personal preference).

If the 997.1 was PDK, that would be different. That I WOULD consider over the manual, but I think I would still prefer a 3 pedal 911 Turbo.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 AM
shneapfla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat3d M
I haven't owned a manual 3 pedal car since 2010, but I knew that in a car like this, I had to have a 3 pedal 6 speed manual (just personal preference).
+1

For a DD I'd never buy a manual, but in a P-car I'd never buy a tip.
A friend of mine has a 987S with PDK but they can't be had with a Mezger-engine, so that's that...
Old 02-28-2017, 04:13 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I test drove both a manual and a tip 997TT. Enjoyed the manual more, but not $10k more. Bought the tip, and saved the money. I enjoy rowing my own gears, but not enough to pay five figures for the privilege. With my daily as a 6sp manual and my sports car weekender as a tip, many would say I got it backwards.

Last edited by vbb; 03-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: When Is A Tip Ok?