Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it Stock but improve performance

Old 02-21-2017, 02:33 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Keep it Stock but improve performance

So I recently traded out a 2015 turbo S cab that I had for my (I call it new) 2011 turbo S cab. I had always wanted the last of the 997 turbo S as I had had a 997.1 turbo in the past. The 992 was just not enough bang for the buck. To make it more I sunk 15k into engine and suspension tune and a Fab speed exaust. Was a rocket ship but the after market stuff killed the value when I started thinking of selling it.

The 2015 was my 4th 911 and the only one I've modified. I will actually never cross that line again. My 2011 only has 4k miles and had one owner before me and is a gem. My question is stupid and simple, are there any things I can do to improve performance while keeping it stock, like air filter? I'm likely going to go with a top line ceramic coat to make my life easier as an avid car care guy, would like any other suggestions.Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:48 PM
rellim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Performance driving schools.

2. Lots of fun track time.

I.M.O.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd say COBB and walk.

I'm just not sure why we can't run Stage2 without exhaust. Would be nice to run stock exhaust with 75-100HP gain.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Agree 100% when you performance mod a 997.1/2 it loses it's value significantly. I went through the same learning curve as you and share your observations. If I were in the market again I would pass on every modified car I found.

However I did add a GT3 SSK, a BMC filter, changed the crappy speakers to Focal's, added NavTV SiriusXM, replaced my diverter valves with metal ones and etc. Will these changes make my car go faster or handle better, NO!, but this is un-detectible and makes my overall driving experience just a little better. JMO
Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Low-key reversible mods like an exhaust or chip tune shouldn't have a huge negative impact on value in my opinion. They won't add value and you won't get your money back but there are certainly enough buyers who will buy a car if it has desirable mods they would have done anyway. It's when you get into highly personal aesthetic "upgrades" (carbon fiber everything, aftermarket aero stuff, weird wheels, etc.) and more invasive power add-ons (bigger turbos, intercoolers, etc.) that you really start limiting your pool of buyers.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Personally, I'm steering clear of the mods game so can't offer much help, sorry. Too much money for power I don't want/need, not to mention reliability questions and resale hit. I upgraded the clutch slave to improve feel (didn't do the full kit, as I don't need to accommodate more power), and did wheels and springs for appearance, but that's it. Happy hunting!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:54 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You can't handle all the car can give you in stock form. Maybe get the plug n play TPC DSC... But the reality is the car has far more than you can give it. If you don't want to mod because you don't want to kill resale, just enjoy it stock. Or, do what you want and don't worry about resale for the next guy.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

If you just went with exhaust and tune, is there a reason you couldn't just go back to stock before selling? Are people saying that even the fact that it was once modded would affect resale? I'm thinking of eventually doing exhaust and tune myself, and would hope that's not the case.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:12 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
If you just went with exhaust and tune, is there a reason you couldn't just go back to stock before selling? Are people saying that even the fact that it was once modded would affect resale? I'm thinking of eventually doing exhaust and tune myself, and would hope that's not the case.
some Porsche buyers are weird. Mods? No. Over 40k miles? No. Tracked? No. More than 3 previous owners? No. I mean if you get caught up in all the things that could affect resale, you may miss out on enjoying the car the way you want to, worrying too much about what future buyers might think.

I say do what you want to enjoy your car. Just me though.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure how people dump so much $$ in mods that actually depreciate the value of the car at the end.
My way of modding is to pay more upfront for a super clean low mile car, would rather have a nicer newer car than spend $ on mods. Now, buying one with the mods I would want anyway?? Would make me think twice. Then again, to me, a modded car has been abused, so I would never purchase.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vbb
some Porsche buyers are weird. Mods? No. Over 40k miles? No. Tracked? No. More than 3 previous owners? No. I mean if you get caught up in all the things that could affect resale, you may miss out on enjoying the car the way you want to, worrying too much about what future buyers might think.

I say do what you want to enjoy your car. Just me though.
Good point. I've already got 50k miles and multiple owners. Hoping to get some track time in soon. So maybe I can try and check all the boxes!

And aside from picky buyers, who presumably wouldn't want my car anyway, exhaust and tune both seem pretty decent from a cost of ownership perspective. As long as you're willing to revert to stock, it looks like Cobb units and decent exhausts can both be re-sold for the better part of the original cost. Once you're getting into engine mods that's another story of course.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

The mod vs. no mod argument is always interesting. I think some buyers like mods, and some don't. I personally fall into the no mod camp. I would rather modify a car to my liking, as opposed to buying a car that another buyer modified. But, that's just me.

I didn't do any significant mods to my 997 turbo, and I don't plan to do any to my 991 turbo. I get enough pleasure from doing reversible mods like adding new wheels.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
some Porsche buyers are weird. Mods? No. Over 40k miles? No. Tracked? No. More than 3 previous owners? No.
Originally Posted by Steven954
Not sure how people dump so much $$ in mods that actually depreciate the value of the car at the end.
My way of modding is to pay more upfront for a super clean low mile car, would rather have a nicer newer car than spend $ on mods. Now, buying one with the mods I would want anyway?? Would make me think twice. Then again, to me, a modded car has been abused, so I would never purchase.
Nice 1-2 there.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Nice 1-2 there.
Ha, I enjoyed that too.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:09 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine has a numeric shifter and a GT2 clutch slave...better driving experience, not more performance...

Previous owner did them, but I probably would have too...I'm glad he paid for them!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keep it Stock but improve performance