Sponsored by:

BMW M2 or 08' Turbo for daily driver - My dilema

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:15 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Default BMW M2 or 08' Turbo for daily driver - My dilema

Two years ago my business partner decided he wanted a sports car for the weekends. Me being the car guy, I pointed him towards the 997TT and went about finding one for him.
I ended up quickly striking gold and finding an 08' Turbo Cab with 6 speed in my favorite color Midnight Blue. It was loaded with options including ceramics, painted everything inside including seatbacks and yellow gauges + yellow chrono to match the brakes along with yellow stitching throughout. Its a beautiful color combo and there are probably very very few like it.

I'm currently in a 991CS and my lease is ending soon. It's my daily.
I have an M2 on order and it will be its replacement (both manual transmission mind you). I probably wouldn't plan on having the BMW more than two years.

My dilemma is that my partner thinks he wants to sell it because he's not able to use it enough. It's such a unicorn that I don't want to see it go. Do I buy it and make it my daily? I will need to add Bluetooth and I'll use Sirius, but use my phone for Waze and Siri for voice dialing. Am I going to feel like its too big a step back from the 991 as a daily (power aside)?

I want some opinions to see if you guys think this is a logical move or if I'm just emotionally invested and would regret it.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:54 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I would buy the 997 but I'm biased
Old 02-19-2017, 04:17 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

This is like asking a room full of Catholics if you should read the bible or become a Scientologist.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:28 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm confused... you have a 991S and you've ordered an M2, but you're worried that a high optioned 997TT would be too big of a step back? So you think the M2 is not a step back from the 991S but the 997TT might be? Are you just basing that on year of production, or what? The 997TT, OBJECTIVELY, is more car than the M2. I mean, subjective thoughts aside (and I chuckled at the Bible vs. Scientology analogy above me), just purely objectively the Turbo is more of a car than an M2. I don't even think the BMW guys would disagree with that. You're talking a car that MSRPs in the $52K-$60K range in 2017 dollars vs. a car that MSRPs in the $125K-$140K range in 2008 dollars. MSRP isn't everything of course, but we're not even talking about the same range of car.

If you're a car guy, get the 08 997TT.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:37 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
... If you're a car guy, get the 08 997TT.
^^
this!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm confused... you have a 991S and you've ordered an M2, but you're worried that a high optioned 997TT would be too big of a step back? So you think the M2 is not a step back from the 991S but the 997TT might be? Are you just basing that on year of production, or what? The 997TT, OBJECTIVELY, is more car than the M2. I mean, subjective thoughts aside (and I chuckled at the Bible vs. Scientology analogy above me), just purely objectively the Turbo is more of a car than an M2. I don't even think the BMW guys would disagree with that. You're talking a car that MSRPs in the $52K-$60K range in 2017 dollars vs. a car that MSRPs in the $125K-$140K range in 2008 dollars. MSRP isn't everything of course, but we're not even talking about the same range of car.

If you're a car guy, get the 08 997TT.
The 997 is more car, no doubt. It costs more then and now and its way more powerful. I'm just talking about living with it daily. From a maintenance perspective, from a modern features perspective, from a daily drivability perspective.
I figured this forum would say 997 and I get why. I'm just looking for somebody who is dailying it, or went backwards like I would, if there was any hassle or regret in doing so and if they ultimately would have preferred a modern, warrantied, latest and greatest electronics etc. option.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

How is this even a comparison... and yes I've driven both. Now that I got that out of my system, because I was offended, I will give you an honest answer... I just drove 5 hours to grab an M3 for a friend and drove that E92 back, he has a Cayman and bought this 2013 $45K E92 M3 with DCT & Competition package as a daily. I will tell you that this 2013 M3 was not only better in traffic and at absorbing bumps than the 997TT, but it also has a TON more space including adults comfortably sitting in the back.

If you're going to compare GT cars, then compare the M3 and 997. So let's compare an M3 to a Turbo as a daily, M3 is less sporty, less capable, less sexy than the 997 or even Cayman. With that being said, M3 as a daily wins hands down and has WAY more space.

In regards to the M2, it was awesome on the track BTW... I even won a BMW hat and a backpack and once these pesky BMW drivers found out I showed up to a BMW event in a Honda S2000, then beat them, they were all sorts of upset. :P

Jokes aside. M3 vs 997 for a daily, M3 wins. M2 is more in line with a cayman and doesn't fall in the same category as the 997 cars.

Last edited by Ruskiy; 02-19-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:40 PM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Best question I've answered today.

Buy that special Turbo. Lease or finance that M2; you'll be tired of it in two years and on to something else. You'll always have the Turbo in your garage for special days. Plus it will keep its value. Think of it as a bank CD that goes zero-to-100 in nine seconds with the top down in yellow stitching.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both? Thats what I do. Not an m2 but I have a 1M and a 997 turbo s cab. Alternate weekly depending on weather. The 1M is an absolute blast to drive, maybe even a bit more "fun" than the 997. But the Porsche is just such an amazing machine and I cant see not having one in the garage. Different but complementary. Not sure I could pick just one!
Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Daily driver? In New jersey?
M2. Why? New and with Warranty.

If its a second or back up car, 997 TT.

Look at my signature, thats what I am doing right now.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:42 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Buy the turbo, park it until summer then drive a bit and decide.
Sell it or regret not buying it, choice is yours.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

I've already got a weekend toy that I picked up last April, so not ready to move on from it yet.
This car would be a daily for the time being, and then maybe in time a weekend car.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In that case I would say m2 or better yet clean 1m.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The 997TT is a surprisingly docile and compliant DD. It's going to be better than the M2 for sure. That said, if you want something roomier, comfortable and new (maintenance free), and already have a weekend warrior, why not look at a slightly larger vehicle? M3? M5? Etc. When cross shopping it with an M2, I didn't see this as a close call. Knowing now that you have another weekend warrior type of car, then I would personally be going in a different direction for a daily... Something with far more utility. But hey, I daily a new Tacoma, so that tells you about my decisions. I wanted 4x4 and room inside and out without being huge. I drive the 997TT on nice work days and weekends.

I still say 997TT far and away ahead of the M2, especially since you're a 991 owner.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vbb
The 997TT is a surprisingly docile and compliant DD. It's going to be better than the M2 for sure. That said, if you want something roomier, comfortable and new (maintenance free), and already have a weekend warrior, why not look at a slightly larger vehicle? M3? M5? Etc. When cross shopping it with an M2, I didn't see this as a close call. Knowing now that you have another weekend warrior type of car, then I would personally be going in a different direction for a daily... Something with far more utility. But hey, I daily a new Tacoma, so that tells you about my decisions. I wanted 4x4 and room inside and out without being huge. I drive the 997TT on nice work days and weekends.

I still say 997TT far and away ahead of the M2, especially since you're a 991 owner.
The M3 leaves me a little cold. I drove it two years ago and left unimpressed and recently drove the comp package model. It was significantly better but I felt like I'd be bored of it quickly. That's why I'm focusing on the smaller car. Every review I read says it's the better driver. I haven't gotten to drive one yet and probably wouldn't be able to, so it's a gamble.

Packaging wise the m3 makes more sense and it would lease better (would make sense to buy m2)it"@ but I have a Yukon for space and bad weather days. I have young kids and as infrequently as I wind up squeezing them in my daily, either M2 or 911 works. That said I do want back seats for those occasions.

Quick Reply: BMW M2 or 08' Turbo for daily driver - My dilema