Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW M2 or 08' Turbo for daily driver - My dilema

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:50 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Financially speaking, the turbo makes more sense in my opinion.
It's already pretty much fully depreciated, so if you feel like you made a mistake later on there isn't much financial impact. You can always get the M2 if you decide the turbo wasn't the way to go.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CTDan
It's already pretty much fully depreciated, so if you feel like you made a mistake later on there isn't much financial impact. You can always get the M2 if you decide the turbo wasn't the way to go.
This is totally true.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:05 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Some other thoughts here:
I was planning on getting the M2 ED in July which I've always wanted to do.

With the TT, I will have to upgrade it with Dension or whatever works best for Bluetooth and I presume sat radio through my phone to make it daily driver friendly.

At this point I'm definitely leaning towards getting into the TT. Would want to add exhaust, tune and DSC to it as well.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:15 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTDan
Financially speaking the 1M makes the most sense if the op is willing to consider it. Agree the M3 leaves me cold as well!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:34 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

A 911 is perfect with small kids. What its not made for are bad roads.
Due to distance, I drive mine once or twice a week, 40 miles one way/80 miles total/ week. Highway roads. Perfect for a TT.

Gas mileage is excellent also. Getting 24-26/gal.

I schedule each car each week to make sure it gets some exercise.

But my main DD is my Pathfinder. You need an auto for the rain or when I feel tired.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:55 PM
Bmw335i
AutoX

I drive my 07 turbo daily, went from a 2014 cls550. It's a great dd but not for bad road,like mentioned above. My problem was when I got it, it was time to do some service work. First porsche I've owned. It caught me a little off guard when I had to change out the water pump. Other wise it's been good so far, o front strut gone out. I have about 57k miles now. It's fast, fun little thing. Doing a paddle shift conversion as we speak and heard nothing but great things about it. If you do go with it, go do the paddle shift and tune quick ������ Almost sold it for an R8 v10 but the R8 and gallardo power did nothing for me. GL with desicion
Old 02-21-2017, 12:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

This is a tough choice that only you can decide, but the 997 Turbo is a special car that is now ... 10 years old with 10 year old issues. The M2 is brand new and would never leave you stranded, and has the newest technology. It gets rave reviews everywhere. I would have a very hard time deciding on these 2 options myself.

I'd say - which one calls to you in the night when you look at the interior and exterior pics? That's the one I'd get.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

I daily drive an M235I in NJ. I think its pretty close to an M2. Nice car. Handles well and performs good but when I drive my 997 TT its a different animal. My TT is not bone stock though.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:59 PM
gungriffin
Intermediate

It is impossible to predict the future, but the Turbo is likely approaching the trough of the depreciation curve. The M2 is scheduled to not be as limited production as most people would like to believe. I would agree with the thoughts that you won't take a big hit if you decide on the Turbo now and decide to sell later. Hell, if production picks up on the M2, there is a good chance you will get one at a discount on a new one in a few years.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

In 5 years, a nice 9977TT purchased today and driven 30K miles will retain probably about, say, 75% of the purchase price.

In 5 years, a nice M2 purchased today and driven 30K miles will retain probably about, say, 45% of the purchase price.

Depreciation is the single biggest expense on a car. With the 997TT, most of it has passed. With the M2, none of it has.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:43 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
This is a tough choice that only you can decide, but the 997 Turbo is a special car that is now ... 10 years old with 10 year old issues. The M2 is brand new and would never leave you stranded, and has the newest technology. It gets rave reviews everywhere. I would have a very hard time deciding on these 2 options myself.

I'd say - which one calls to you in the night when you look at the interior and exterior pics? That's the one I'd get.
This is probably the biggest issue. There will surely be service work required which will be sometimes a surprise and might get annoying with the 997. I'd have to get rides to and from the independent I get service from. Then there's the unlikely chance something major goes.
The M2 is warranty with service included. I can get a loaner anytime and have the dealer pick it up at my house if I want.
The turbo is the car that gets me excited. I don't like being without a Porsche as I was for 3 years after I lost my 993tt.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:59 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
This is probably the biggest issue. There will surely be service work required which will be sometimes a surprise and might get annoying with the 997. I'd have to get rides to and from the independent I get service from. Then there's the unlikely chance something major goes.
The M2 is warranty with service included. I can get a loaner anytime and have the dealer pick it up at my house if I want.
The turbo is the car that gets me excited. I don't like being without a Porsche as I was for 3 years after I lost my 993tt.
"The Force is Strong in this one"

Follow your passion!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:30 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

I bought a new Turbo Cab in 2008. I drove it every day, rain or shine and every day I had a smile on my face. Had 48000 miles on it when I finally sold it. The dealer told be that I put on more miles than any other Turbo customer he had.
Buy the Turbo.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
It wouldn't help with the loaner car situation, but I bought an extended warranty from Fidelity, & it really helps my peace of mind.
I don't quite daily drive mine, but it's pretty close.
If you can get past the need to haul large stuff, with either car, I would think getting the one that makes your heart pound harder would be the one for your garage.

Also, Enterprise will deliver a car to your driveway in a lot of places.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

M2. the 7tt is more car but that doesn't make it more fun on a daily drive. the M2 will have plenty of useable power, a real trunk and back seat, modern features and a full warranty. it will ride better, not stick out much in rougher areas, and get much better gas mileage.

I like my 7tt a lot but in our area, it's not the best for a daily

Quick Reply: BMW M2 or 08' Turbo for daily driver - My dilema