Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1tt not starting after suddenly stalling. HELP

Old 02-15-2017, 10:23 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1tt not starting after suddenly stalling. HELP

Bit of an odd situation happened today and wondering if anyone else has experienced this or know anywhere to start troubleshooting.
I left my house and my car has been running amazingly well. I got a car wash then ran home quickly to grab something and when i restarted my gar it had a bit of a rough idle, it moved fine to my car elevator in my condo and drove in fine no flat out missing but it felt rough. then shut it down as we are supposed to in our elevator. got to the main floor and it started fine but weak and i started to reverse and it stalled and now will not start, turns over and makes no attempt to start at all.

read a few fellas having issues with the 25amp fuses for the fuel pumps, one or the other burning out when a fuel pump fails, but both of mine are fine.

Wondering if its likely for both fuel pumps in the 997TT to fail at once or if one of the two fuel relays failed would cause this ? im looking in the not so bad areas first as it seems like a fuel issue as i also dont get a clear fuel pump prime sound when turning the key on.

Has anyone had issues or any experience with the relays failing in these ?

I believe one is in the front and one under the sub in the back by the ECU.

Just hunting things to check before i go deeper and drop it off to porsche.

Also worth mentioning there are no codes at all.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

C.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

You will most likely need to order a fuel pump assy. I'd bet that one of your main fuel line hose connections have split (in the fuel cell) Common on the 996TT
Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you check all fuses and fuel relay if there is one ?any codes ?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

Thanks fellas, I'm going to check the relays this morning, but no blown fuses. I understand there is one relay under the dash and one under the sub near the ECU ?

Im thinking the fuel pump is toast as well, but odd it will not make a gig to start.. slightly bouncing tach, so that eliminates some other possibilities.

The line splitting on the 996tts I've not heard of this happening in the 997 but I guess anything is possible.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the car wash probably has something to do with this.

I mean, think about it................

Maybe it'll just dry out after a few hours. That's where I'd start knowing the robustness of these cars, and I won't for one second blame a fuel pump.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

Its been sitting for a couple days now and not a gig out of it. I did however get codes, a bunch of them after trying over and over again pulling fuses and tinkering with stuff and messing with adding fuel to the tank as it is low.

anyways I ordered the relay today and it will be here tomorrow as it wasnt any to be found in Canada and it wouldnt cross up to anything else lol typical. anyways the codes i got were all 6 cyl lower than acceptable value, fuel pump failed to communicate and finally "final relay fuel delivery no value" or something like that, so its sounding more like the relay as i cannot see both pumps failing within a min of each other or i have some electrical problems.

Hopefully the relay sorts it tomorrow, ill reply with the results.

my mechanic at Porsche a few months ago said he smelled burning electrical, so maybe the relay has been burning out as i have seen a few relays burn out in the past.

also .. the relays is in a bastard of a spot lol do i have to remove the lower dash to get at this thing as the relays point up toward the dash and wires down and no room to work there.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:42 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah well, Saturday is always a good day to tackle these pricky jobs

I hope it is the relay.

In my experience the only relay issues I have ever had with all my 911's was the DME relay, in the older, and now multi million dollar air cooled cars.

They were so notorious for crapping themselves without warning that most carried a spare all the time.

Good luck finding the fault.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:24 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing the lower dash actually isn't hard at all, and that will give you better access to the relays for sure. I believe you also need to unclip the black housing/box near the fuses - it is called the front control center or something like that.

If you search for my alcantara post in 6speed (I think i cross posted it here at one point) I have instructions/pictures on lower dash removal.

PS - I just had my fuel pump unit replaced. One of my pumps was failing and burning fuses but the secondary pump kept everything working fine. I changed the unit out because I didn't want to deal with getting stuck who knows where in the future. Scuderia had by far the lowest price for the pump unit, even factoring in FedEx priority overnight shipping from the UK to California.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:52 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Ah well, Saturday is always a good day to tackle these pricky jobs

I hope it is the relay.

In my experience the only relay issues I have ever had with all my 911's was the DME relay, in the older, and now multi million dollar air cooled cars.

They were so notorious for crapping themselves without warning that most carried a spare all the time.

Good luck finding the fault.
Yep, always carried a slew of relays and fuses in my 930s.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

Little update on it. the fuses and relay were fine ARRRR!! but quite easy to get the relay panel out. So its the fuel pumps for sure, but odd that both **** the bed at the same time. I'm back at work in Africa now for a month, so ill dig into it when I get home and be sure its the pumps and not wiring or something stupid like that. I did have a slight burning wire smell for a bit that I could never find the source. but the pump assem is only $850cdn, so not that bad from some other ive heard saying it cost.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:00 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

Well I have replaced the fuel pump, what a pain in the butt that was lol... anyways, nothing. It didnt fix the problem. Im getting all 6 injectors codes for injector below lower limit value... arr i hope my injectors are not toast.. it would be odd for all 6 to go at once...

Im really stumped now.. if it were a break in the harness would i get this error or would it likely shoot me a code saying they have no value or communication..

Im thinking this wouldnt be the error should this be a wiring issue..

I think im going to have to take the plunge and drop it to Porsche.... such a pain in the *** as my car has to be pushed into an elevator and out of one then up a 30deg incline for about a hundred feet before a flat bed can hook on to it...
Old 04-04-2017, 03:34 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Sent you a email.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:26 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Did you check the fuel filter?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:31 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

I have never seen a fuel filter cause an issue this quick before, but I guess anything is possible. But really something would have to have completely clogged it in an instant to cause this issue.

Ill give it a shot, thanks for the input !

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Did you check the fuel filter?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin
Sent you a email.

Hey Kevin,
yes I received it and sent a reply, thanks for reaching out ! You are a good man ! It's another reason why I send people your way all of the time 😬

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1tt not starting after suddenly stalling. HELP