Sponsored by:

Shop Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shop Manuals

I posted a thread several weeks ago asking for sources of maintenance procedures. That posting did not get any response. So, I'll give it another try. There have got to be a lot of turbo owners who do their own wrenching. Where do they find data on assembly procedures and specifications for engine fasteners?

For my 993, there were aftermarket documents that provided much of the info. And, I could use engine fastener specs from books on the early 911. But,, all these engines were similar. No double overhead cams......no turbo chargers, etc.

In particular, I am looking for DIY articles on removing/installing the powertrain from the 997 turbo.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Still adding to the collection, HERE
Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
I posted a thread several weeks ago asking for sources of maintenance procedures. That posting did not get any response. So, I'll give it another try. There have got to be a lot of turbo owners who do their own wrenching. Where do they find data on assembly procedures and specifications for engine fasteners?

For my 993, there were aftermarket documents that provided much of the info. And, I could use engine fastener specs from books on the early 911. But,, all these engines were similar. No double overhead cams......no turbo chargers, etc.

In particular, I am looking for DIY articles on removing/installing the powertrain from the 997 turbo.
Hi....

Since I enjoy the cars and tinkering, I bought an auto franchise as a second job/hobby.investment... and besides all the cool lifts, balancing, alignment machines, etc...I have access to some repair info that I pay for via a monthly fee.

What specifically are you trying to do? "Remove the Powertrain" ?? Transmission?...motor?...what do you need info on removing. I may be able to get something.

DC
Old 02-15-2017, 10:40 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by therock88
Hi....

Since I enjoy the cars and tinkering, I bought an auto franchise as a second job/hobby.investment... and besides all the cool lifts, balancing, alignment machines, etc...I have access to some repair info that I pay for via a monthly fee.

What specifically are you trying to do? "Remove the Powertrain" ?? Transmission?...motor?...what do you need info on removing. I may be able to get something.

DC
I do all my own wrenching on my cars. So, I seek an understanding of all the controls, sensors, and power management systems. I would like to have info on removing the power train from the car. And, on how to rebuild the engine. I would like to know all the specifications on inspecting engine components including torque values for all fasteners.

I can generally disassemble most anything; however, there are things of note that one should address when wrenching on any of these cars.

Over my life I have owned 10 Porsches including 5 911's. I wrenched on everyone of them and would like to continue that on the 997. To do that efficiently, one needs instructions and DIY's. I had that on all my other cars; but, am having trouble finding the information for the 997 turbo.

Shop manuals would be a good starter. Or, aaftermarket books that are focused on 997 turbo work. There are some books on the 997 N/A, but not on the turbo motor. I just find it amazing that so little exists that is available for non-Porsche personnel .
Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 PM
therock88
Pro

I do all my own wrenching on my cars. So, I seek an understanding of all the controls, sensors, and power management systems. I would like to have info on removing the power train from the car. And, on how to rebuild the engine. I would like to know all the specifications on inspecting engine components including torque values for all fasteners.

I can generally disassemble most anything; however, there are things of note that one should address when wrenching on any of these cars.

Over my life I have owned 10 Porsches including 5 911's. I wrenched on everyone of them and would like to continue that on the 997. To do that efficiently, one needs instructions and DIY's. I had that on all my other cars; but, am having trouble finding the information for the 997 turbo.

Shop manuals would be a good starter. Or, aaftermarket books that are focused on 997 turbo work. There are some books on the 997 N/A, but not on the turbo motor. I just find it amazing that so little exists that is available for non-Porsche personnel .
Well, I thought you were looking to fix something or do a repair. Sounds like you want everything and will likely need to look for a shop manual. They are quite expensive. And my resource is an online access, so I can't help you a general guide to all the systems, specs , and processes on the car.

Good luck.

DC
Old 02-16-2017, 07:16 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Well, I thought you were looking to fix something or do a repair. Sounds like you want everything and will likely need to look for a shop manual. They are quite expensive. And my resource is an online access, so I can't help you a general guide to all the systems, specs , and processes on the car.

Good luck.

DC
Thanks DC,

I'll come back to you when I have something specific I'd like to do.

Regards
Old 02-16-2017, 07:53 PM
therock88
Pro

Sure...

Don't see your 997 TT listed in your rides??

DC
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Sure...

Don't see your 997 TT listed in your rides??

DC
You're observant! The Turbo is not listed since I haven't taken delivery yet. I fly out to CA next week to text drive the car which has passed a PPI. Assuming I like what I see and drive, I'll have to change my avatar to reflect moving from my 993 to the Turbo. I shipped out the 993 last week to its new owner in Houston. My garage is like an empty cavern now!. I have a car lift without a car to lift! Of course, I have my daily rides which are not worthy of mention.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I have one of these..

Amazon Amazon

Not cheap, but it at least covers all the torque values for the car (inc. turbo engine)

Also, there are a lot of DIYs in the regular 997 section, and of course TheRock has put together quite a few excellent ones for us turbo DIYers..
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by saabin
I have one of these..

https://www.amazon.com/Fastening-Spe.../dp/0984907718

Not cheap, but it at least covers all the torque values for the car (inc. turbo engine)

Also, there are a lot of DIYs in the regular 997 section, and of course TheRock has put together quite a few excellent ones for us turbo DIYers..

Here is a link to the ones I put on here anyway....Helps for certain tasks...

LINK HERE

Just got through updating the Sport Chrono to a PLX Multi Gauge....Pretty easy and nice DIY/Upgrade!

DC
Old 02-17-2017, 12:20 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Just got through updating the Sport Chrono to a PLX Multi Gauge....Pretty easy and nice DIY/Upgrade!

DC
Ahh, sounds cool.. does it show boost? how about a DIY?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DC
Yes, DIY please!!!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM
therock88
Pro

Sure thing guys. I will get one together. I will have st steal a few online pics, as I did not take many during install

It is funny....It has (one of the OBDII metrics) MAP Manifold Absolute Pressure...but it appears dead. Someone had an observation....They sell a boost sensor, so likely do not want you to be able to see boost without buying their sensor....That is just my conjecture...no proof.

Will get some instructions together soon. I was also able to design some custom screens etc. and still tinkering....see below.

Take care,
DC

Old 02-18-2017, 11:01 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

You're observant! The Turbo is not listed since I haven't taken delivery yet. I fly out to CA next week to text drive the car which has passed a PPI. Assuming I like what I see and drive, I'll have to change my avatar to reflect moving from my 993 to the Turbo. I shipped out the 993 last week to its new owner in Houston. My garage is like an empty cavern now!. I have a car lift without a car to lift! Of course, I have my daily rides which are not worthy of mention.
Well, a good thing that I did not change my avatar. My seller just backed out of our deal. First time that has ever happened to me. He was kind enough to agree to reimbursing me for the expenses I've incurred in pursuit of his car. His reason for withdrawing was that "his wife didn't want him to sell the car". That may be true; but, it will be interesting to see if he continues to list the car for sale on AutoTrader.

So, I am back in the hunt for a 997.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:56 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure thing guys. I will get one together.
Awesome DIY's! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Shop Manuals