Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 to 2010 worth the price difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 AM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 997.2

I went with a 2011 turbo S. had a 997.1. I can attest the fact that I miss the stick but the PDK when used is just as fun. plus the added benifits mentioned above I can actually feel when I'm driving the car. If you are asking if it is worth the price you have already answered the question. the retail speaks for itself. Ill post some pics of the new turbo S when the snow thaws.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:36 PM
HellaHashTags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Southpaw
I went from a .1 to a .2. A lot of my reasons were mentioned in this thread... But the first thing I noticed is it felt like a different car. Everything felt more "buttoned up" and tight. From start up to turning the steering wheel...it all felt different. It feels noticeably faster in the seat of the pants but statistically is a lot faster so that makes sense. I researched for months before moving on from my .1. I spoke with various tuners as well as owners who made the change.

All my reasons too... especially the last paragraph. No coolant pipes to worry about and the spun cams may be forum hysteria but still seeing too much for my liking.

This ^. I spoke to various Porsche tuners and the perception on the 9A1 has changed over the past couple years. I read a post from 2011 that said not to put a tune on them because they're weak and will fail...and another post from 2010 that said the engine and trans won't handle more than 500 HP...fast forward to today and they're making excess of 600 WHP and none of those cars exploded. The fuel system seems to be what's limiting them, not the internals. It's still largely unknown and still a lot of R&D going on. Seems every few months, tuners like ES Motor are making them faster and faster. Champion put one in the 9's with basic bolt-ons. Porsche JUST started racing the 9A1 so in motorsports now as well.
the levels of propaganda against the 9A1 are ridiculous
Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way .1 to .2, might as well go 991 instead...which i wouldnt do either
Old 02-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HellaHashTags
the levels of propaganda against the 9A1 are ridiculous
Go back and read posts from 2010-2011... Earlier perception was that you can't tune them, they'll explode...none exploded from a tune. ..then it was you cannot get 550 safely, then that's achieved. ...then it was you cannot get 600 WHP, once again it's achieved. Then it's not a motorsport engine...and now it is. The misconceptions have been repeated to where I see newbies coming into the forums thinking this is all true.

Sure I miss the manual that was in my .1 and that was a tradeoff. But I'm not looking for 1,200 HP and didn't feel like spending another $5K+ on coolant pipes and a clutch (or a warranty). You can get into the 9's with the simplest of bolt-ons ..add in the upgraded suspension, CPO factory warranty and that's more than enough of a tradeoff for me.

Ideally, I'd have one of each but I had to choose... Let's not forget..we're all fortunate enough to have these two choices in the same, appealing 997 body
Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 PM
HellaHashTags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
No way .1 to .2, might as well go 991 instead...which i wouldnt do either
the 991TT doesn't come in manual, it's a non-starter for some (but not all)
Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's funny to me how many Rennlist strings end up with a Mezger v. 9A1 debate and the associated misinformation to follow. And some how, the 997 vs. 991 debate was brought into this string, well that's pretty funny too.
Here's something to consider, these are all excellent problems to have, when placed in the proper context. Who's right or who's wrong? Nobody, that's who... If you like it and can afford it, buy it. If you can't afford it, or think you may not want to spend as much...buy what you can. However, for Mother of God, enough already with who has the Bigger *****.JB

Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many thanks for your comments gents. I was through the rms and ims bearing issues with my 996. I proactively addressed them, so I wouldn't have to wonder if my engine might grenade itself. Felt good about having done that when I passed my car onto the next owner as well. So if I go with a first generation TT I'll definitely look for the issues you pointed out. Maintenance, mileage and overall condition will be very important, verified via Carfax and ppi.
... and I'll watch out for the cat
Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

cpo can only be applied to cars within 8 years of the in-service date, which may not be the same as the model year. pretty soon only 997.2 will be eligible.

so few 09's were made....

Quick Reply: 2008 to 2010 worth the price difference?