Sponsored by:

Coping Without a Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Coping Without a Spare Tire

I will be picking up my 08 turbo in California next week. Weather permitting, I would like to drive it from LA to my home in Chicago. There will be hundreds of miles of open desert to traverse. Frankly, venturing into such a trip without a spare tire is a little troubling. Though I can not remember the last time I suffered a flat tire, there is always the possibility out there.

So, what have others done to cope with a car that does not have room for a spare tire? Is fix-a-flat the viable option to plug a leak and inflate a tire? Or, should I carry a jack, a tire plug kit, and an air compressor?

Or should I purchase a donut spare from a 996 to take along on long trips?

The thought of being stranded for hours in the middle of nowhere is not a pleasant thought.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 AM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

AAA, cell phone..you'll be fine. Had a blowout in the middle of the Mojave on I-15...waited less than an hour for a tow back to Las Vegas for a new tire...

Have fun!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Yeah, don't worry about it. You'll be fine! Did you keep your 993?
Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I brought mine from Mississippi to Seattle (~2500mi). I got a screw in one tire and plugged it with a $5 kit. I'd bring along a plug kit and a portable compressor. As long as you catch it before you drop air completely, you can repair the tire in-place and keep going. And don't use the stuff the car comes with unless really necessary - you will need a new tire if you do.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:44 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

https://www.griotsgarage.com/search....=tire+plug+kit

Unless you have the OEM compressor that came with the car, then you just need the kit without.

I got to test plug once in my driveway, then once again on the road.

+1 what casica said, do not use the goop bottle unless absolutely desperate.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd add small flashlight to the list so you can find the nail or screw in the middle of the night on an unlit highway. It's also a good idea to regularly check tires, especially before long trips. It's much easier to plug a tire in your driveway or fill it with portable pump and get to local tire shop than fixing on the side of the highway.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:17 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terry Adams

https://www.griotsgarage.com/search....=tire+plug+kit

Unless you have the OEM compressor that came with the car, then you just need the kit without.

I got to test plug once in my driveway, then once again on the road.

+1 what casica said, do not use the goop bottle unless absolutely desperate.
Thanks Terry. I ordered the compressor and tire plug kit today. $83 gives me the peace of mind that I can probably not be delayed long if I pick up a nail. Now if you can only suggest how to turn my midnight blue car into ruby red, I would eternally be grateful! LOL
Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sobrut911
I'd add small flashlight to the list so you can find the nail or screw in the middle of the night on an unlit highway. It's also a good idea to regularly check tires, especially before long trips. It's much easier to plug a tire in your driveway or fill it with portable pump and get to local tire shop than fixing on the side of the highway.
Great idea. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:30 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Yeah, don't worry about it. You'll be fine! Did you keep your 993?
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, I had to sell the 993 to finance the 997tt! I loved that car having owned it for 6 years, which is longer than I have every owned any car! But, the addictiveness of power in the turbo got to me.

What is amazing is that the 993's have appreciated enough to fund a 10 year newer low mileage turbo! I'm hoping that the Mezger engined turbos will some day appreciate as did the 993. At least, I doubt that I would lose much money on the turbo.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
I will be picking up my 08 turbo in California next week. Weather permitting, I would like to drive it from LA to my home in Chicago. There will be hundreds of miles of open desert to traverse. Frankly, venturing into such a trip without a spare tire is a little troubling. Though I can not remember the last time I suffered a flat tire, there is always the possibility out there.

So, what have others done to cope with a car that does not have room for a spare tire? Is fix-a-flat the viable option to plug a leak and inflate a tire? Or, should I carry a jack, a tire plug kit, and an air compressor?

Or should I purchase a donut spare from a 996 to take along on long trips?

The thought of being stranded for hours in the middle of nowhere is not a pleasant thought.
Both of my cars have a spare tire. But I still seek to avoid having a flat.

Before you head out have the car inspected -- lifted in the air -- and check the tires for signs of anything in them. If the tires are worn down quite a bit even if they are not quite to the wear bars be aware that the more worn down the tire the more likely it will pick something up.

Be careful in parking lots. The times I walk through a parking lot I spot all kinds of metal trash, screws, nails, even large metal washers -- it was running over one of these -- that was slightly dished from having a nail driven through it as some kind of marker for line painting -- that cut a nice semi-circular cut in my Boxster's rear tire -- and so on.

To hopefully picking up any of this stuff I drive slowly. The "rule" is the front tire kicks the nail up the rear tire "picks" the nail up so by driving slowly I hope that the nail or screw has fallen down again so the rear tire doesn't pick it up.

On the road I avoid pulling over on the shoulder because the few times I have seen the shoulder it is full of trash that looks risky to tires.

As others have advised be a good auto club member -- premium member -- and have all the info handy so if you have to call for a tow you have all the info to obtain the service to which you are entitled.

Quick Reply: Coping Without a Spare Tire