Sponsored by:

Cost Effective Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:53 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cost Effective Mods

I am about to take ownership on my first ever 997 turbo. The car is in unmolested original configuration. I would like to consider some tasteful mods to the car, but the ones that are out there are many and complex.

So, I'm wondering, if you dial costs into the mix, what mods give you the biggest bang for the buck? And, what should I expect to pay for these mods.

I do most of my own wrenching, so hardware installations could be limited to the cost of the hardware.

So, what are the most cost-effective mods?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

In my book, exhaust and drop springs (at minimum, coilovers are better) are mandatory for a stock 997 Turbo.

Bang for the buck value, look into:
ECU flash,
TPC DSC,
GT3 Front Lower Control Arms,
Motor Mounts,
Wheel spacers
Old 02-05-2017, 11:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Exhaust and tune. You can move from there if you need more! Feel free to reach out if I can help in any way!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 PM
C's Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd start with a good quality exhaust and keep in mind you get what you pay for. See how you feel after that. These cars love a good tune but 500 hp with AWD is just fine for me.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:09 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Exhaust and tpc box.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 AM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) tune & exhaust & Short Shift
2) TPC Box
3) you will need a clutch by now with the tune -- :-)

Throw in the LWFW (fly wheel) when you do the clutch ...

and obviously some nice wheels and tires ....

enjoy ... its a slippery slope -- one which I fell all the way down the rabbit hole
Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 AM
cam2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Exhaust and a tune, clutch if you have a 6MT (Plugs and coils)

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2017, 04:23 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Seems that the consensus is an aftermarket exhaust and a tune. Several of you also suggested "TPC". I'm struggling with these new (to me) acronyms. So, since I am a newbi to the turbo world......and ignorant. What is TPC?.

Coming from a 993, where the exhaust was for sound only; not providing any boost in power, it takes a while for me to grasp that you can gain hp with an exhaust.......and a different sound:

There are probably a lot of tunes available out there. What are the most popular and what do they cost? Or, is this a subjective discussion point?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:41 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

There is an awesome electronic control box called the DSC. TPS is Turbo Performance Center and they distribute it. It's a great upgrade on the handling side of things. Everyone loved it as you can see! I have personally sold 5-6 and get great feedback on all models.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Just ordered DSC Sport.

Also have GT2 RS rear sway bar sitting in garage.

Thereafter, exhaust.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Since you're throwing your money away I'll send you my address. There are currently several cars for sale with a lot of mods that I'll bet don't sell. I've been down the mod road and it only ends up at the end of a financial cliff. Keep it stock. JMO
Old 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, but stock is boring. Plus, I wouldn't recommend anything not easily reversible in an afternoon.
Agree about some of the heavily modded franken turbos, easy t go too far.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with an exhaust if you're looking for a certain tone...there's plenty of those like Sam who can help. Then afterwards ask yourself, why do you want or need the additional horsepower? Are you using the horsepower the car has now?
One piece of advice I concur with...learn to maximize the car's capabilities through training before adding mods. A skilled driver can outperform a higher horsepower car given the right circumstances, whether drag racing, tracking or backroads... Learn to enjoy your car and the drives you take.
Everytime I begin to consider adding a tune, I take my car for a spirited ride and wonder, why...I can't use what the car has now...(12 TTS w/PDK).
Just some things to consider...enjoy!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 AM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by earossi
Thanks for the responses. Seems that the consensus is an aftermarket exhaust and a tune. Several of you also suggested "TPC". I'm struggling with these new (to me) acronyms. So, since I am a newbi to the turbo world......and ignorant. What is TPC?.

Coming from a 993, where the exhaust was for sound only; not providing any boost in power, it takes a while for me to grasp that you can gain hp with an exhaust.......and a different sound:

There are probably a lot of tunes available out there. What are the most popular and what do they cost? Or, is this a subjective discussion point?
Welcome to the Rennlist community!

TPC Racing is a performance shop/race team dedicated solely to Porsches, located not far from the Washington D.C. area. We have over 20 years of experience tuning, modifying, and racing Porsche cars. Our owner is Mike Levitas, accomplished GT3 Cup driver and extremely knowledgeable engineer. In 2006 we won the 24 Hours of Daytona. We use our experience in the professional race circuit to provide a high level of knowledge and passion to our products and the support we provide with them.

We design and manufacture many of our own products, including but not limited to, sway bars, toe links, turbo systems, caster pucks, exhaust components, and you will probably hear a good amount about DSC Sport, which is an active suspension company we founded to provide aftermarket solutions for the electronic suspension systems coming on not only Porsche vehicles but the C7 Corvettes, Mustang GT350, GT-R, Viper, and more.

Let us know if you have any questions we can help answer.

~Jordan

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member