Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a leak, in need of radiator advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The relationship between wire diameter, wire spacing and opening size can be expressed mathematically as follows:

S = D + O
O = S - D
D = S - O

where:
S = Wire Spacing
D = Wire Diameter
O = Opening between the wires (Opening Size)

To Compute Open Area of wire mesh:

where:
A = % Open Area
O = Opening between the wires (Opening Size)
D = Wire Diameter

Obtain the values from the mesh you are using and run the numbers through the formula above and calculate the reduction in surface area.

Some leaves/trash build up on a radiator while unsightly doesn't really cut down on the surface area all that much. I've pulled a lot of trash out of the in front of and between the A/C condenser and radiators and even though I was observing the coolant temperature using an OBD2 code reader/data viewer/logger there was no observable change in the coolant temperature.

Heck I've even had my Turbo lose a radiator fan -- fan motor shaft snapped -- and the coolant gage needle never wavered from where it normally resides.

The trash should be removed periodically more for concern about corrosion (and frankly odor) rather than any concern about its affect on cooling.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:46 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Or you could install mesh, cut down the frequency of bumper removal for cleaning by 5, and significantly reduce the likelihood of any decomposition causing issues.

Sorry Macster, but no mathematical equation is going to weigh in against my real world experience - I've been running mesh for ages, done a lot of mid summer B road runs and track days and have seen no negative impact from having it installed. I have seen it save me from having to fish out birds, leaves, and rubbish, and would say it is a high priority mod for anyone driving in rural areas in autumn to prevent leaves building up.

And for anyone trying to hide CSF branding on a radiator

Quick Reply: Got a leak, in need of radiator advice