Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one here that feels like I'm kind of cheating, driving a PDK car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Had a 2011tts, 7mo later sold it and got another 997.1tt 6mt, I was bored outta my mind, that's just me though.....
That pic is HILARIOUS. I have a teen coming up and getting a stack as a deterrent, was ABSOLUTELY a thought in my mind . . . Too freaking funny, KH
Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I have both MT and AUTO in my stable. I drive my manual 5 out of the 7 days of the week. Its just not thesame going to work in an Auto.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:36 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Who cares what everyone else thinks, if they even care that is. Maybe you are imagining that's what others are thinking.
Personally, I tried a F1 360 for 3 years (sold to buy my TT) and I loved the F1, It was insane changing gears when you were on the throttle...............................until it broke. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm a 6 speed man all the way now.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:37 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Had a 2011tts, 7mo later sold it and got another 997.1tt 6mt, I was bored outta my mind, that's just me though.....
Hilarious picture, I had a valet get someone else last summer after he jumped in my car all excited only to realize he's a ditz. Made me laugh and realize how uncommon a stick is these days.

I've been driving a rental 2017 SS convertible Camaro for a couple weeks and in track mode it is pretty good at knowing what to do. Have actually enjoyed it and I can see where the dual personality of a newer auto could be very cool.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:56 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I truly love reading the passion each of you have for the 997 TTs regardless of what gear box you have. This string, made me think of days past for things I loved and those not so much....

My Grandfather's 61 Corvette, my first stick shift I drove...wish I had it today! My Grandfather, was an awesome Hot Rodder, miss him greatly.

No, do not miss... Computer systems today are just crazy fast and capable.

A better time in my early youth...hanging out with my cousins. I think it was better then.
Some "old" things are so much better than new.
Hell No!!!

As a teen I was in LOOOVVVE!!! And I still am...she remains a gorgeous woman.
Years ago, three channels and PBS....however today, 200 channels, but I only watch three or four. Today, the TVs are amazing.
Sitting on Dad's lap and pusing the "go-go" buttons...prelude to paddle shifters.

When race cars were brutality fast and you could actually observe that drivers were giving 110 percent and on the edge with every pass... Today, not so much, IMHO.

I do miss my 09 TT with Six Speed, and if I could...I would own both, it and my 12 TTS. But I do like being married... :-)

Sold last year and do miss my 69 Z/28... But don't miss something breaking every time I drove it...high maintenance indeed.

​​So, some like the six speed and some like the PDK. Honestly, I love both...but sometimes you move on to what's best for you at the time. Usually, its only when we look back, that we know either it was something we loved or not... Go in good health. JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 02-10-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Stuff
Old 02-10-2017, 03:11 PM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
I truly love reading the passion each of you have for the 997 TTs regardless of what gear box you have. This string, made me think of days past for things I loved and those not so much....

My Grandfather's 61 Corvette, my first stick shift I drove...wish I had it today! My Grandfather, was an awesome Hot Rodder, miss him greatly.

No, do not miss... Computer systems today are just crazy fast and capable.

A better time in my early youth...hanging out with my cousins. I think it was better then.
Some "old" things are so much better than new.
Hell No!!!

As a teen I was in LOOOVVVE!!! And I still am...she remains a gorgeous woman.
Years ago, three channels and PBS....however today, 200 channels, but I only watch three or four. Today, the TVs are amazing.
Sitting on Dad's lap and pusing the "go-go" buttons...prelude to paddle shifters.

When race cars were brutality fast and you could actually observe that drivers were giving 110 percent and on the edge with every pass... Today, not so much, IMHO.

I do miss my 09 TT with Six Speed, and if I could...I would own both, it and my 12 TTS. But I do like being married... :-)

Sold last year and do miss my 69 Z/28... But don't miss something breaking every time I drove it...high maintenance indeed.

​​So, some like the six speed and some like the PDK. Honestly, I love both...but sometimes you move on to what's best for you at the time. Usually, its only when we look back, that we know either it was something we loved or not... Go in good health. JB
Great pics. Great post haha I loved it.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are these drivers cheating?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:26 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

After driving a manual shift in DC for a week on vacation I would absolutely prefer a PDK if I lived there. That place has crazy traffic 😂
Old 02-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I kinda feel like if you've got the means for a TT but your commute is mostly DC-style gridlock every day, it might be best to just have a second car that's a comfortable, sensible automatic for that journey.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
After driving a manual shift in DC for a week on vacation I would absolutely prefer a PDK if I lived there. That place has crazy traffic 😂
Thank you! Yes, this is my life. I drove from Laurel MD to the Georgetown DC Four Seasons Hotel for a function last night (sweet, a $500 p/p dinner that was free to me, w/Patrick Kennedy as the main speaker) and it took 2 hours.

If was driving a 6 speed instead of my PDK car, it would have been a royal pain in the huge amount of traffic I was stuck in. Bumper to bumper grinding traffic. LOVE my PDK today. This has been a good thread for me - fairly therapeutic actually, yet I didn't have to pay a therapist a dime to get it.

And, the 2 posted pictures of those lovely ladies by ejdoherty911, well... that just made my day. LOVES the ladies, don't we all? It doesn't matter what age we are, lovely ladies are a sight for sore eyes. Just... sayin'.

Steve
Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

I am right now starting to feel a strong attraction towards PDK. I've driven manual shift cars 35 years now and presently 2/5 of household cars are MT; was 3/6 till recently. However I have a trashed right ankle where heel/toe or even hard braking are becoming un-fun. Going to left-foot braking and full-throttle PDK upshifts would be faster as well as less physically painful after some adjustment period.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I officially learned to drive a manual transmission at about 12 years of age in a vehicle just like this one. It was a 3-speed.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2017, 02:10 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

You need to drive the right transmission for the occasion. I learned that you will swear a mt if you use it in traffic and use it in short drives.

Since my drive to my work is trafficless, i drive my MT most of the time. And when it is raining or i get too lazy, i drive my AUTO.

I am fortunate now that my drive is 40 miles and 40 minutes and with twist and turns. I am able to appreciate the car more. I just get bored with an Auto.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

As a driving instructor I was particularly conflicted with buying a PDK car esp since my wife was really starting to understand some of the more advanced techniques of the manual.

...BUT for our TTS and how we use it I absolutely believe it's the right transmission for the car. There are some moments here and there that I wish it was a manual but they are few and far between.

If I wasn't fortunate enough to have the GT3 sitting there I would have skipped the TTS and purchased a 6 speed turbo instead.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:51 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
As a driving instructor I was particularly conflicted with buying a PDK car esp since my wife was really starting to understand some of the more advanced techniques of the manual.

...BUT for our TTS and how we use it I absolutely believe it's the right transmission for the car. There are some moments here and there that I wish it was a manual but they are few and far between.

If I wasn't fortunate enough to have the GT3 sitting there I would have skipped the TTS and purchased a 6 speed turbo instead.
Not hijacking, but a question for the "in the know" folks. Every now and then I get the GT3 Bug, but when I review the ownership history, usually a few year old car has 3 or more owners...why? Thanks, JB

​​​

Quick Reply: Am I the only one here that feels like I'm kind of cheating, driving a PDK car?