Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm curious if anyone here

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:51 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

172.4mph in the half mile last November at an airstrip event no drama at all - 997.2 with Ohlins based suspension and GMG LMS wheels with Toyo R888 tires at 36psi F and 40psi R.

I would have no problems doing the Mojave Mile (which runs 1.5 miles) with the 997.2 car but I'm going to do it in my 991 Turbo S with stock suspension and tires plus bolt ons and 68mm turbos. And I'll make sure tire pressure are inflated to optimal spec for 200+ mph.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

consistent 165 at Pocono. I want to be in the 200 club. I just don't have enough HP- from a few years ago
Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
And I'll make sure tire pressure are inflated to optimal spec for 200+ mph.
How/where do you get this kind of information on tire pressure for 1/2, 1, 1.5, top speed run, autobahn type driving other than "what makes sense"?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Michelin has a chart / speed/ load/temperature. I'll try and search it later. You can get to it from TireRack web site I believe.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

There are a number of reasons not to do this but the behavior of the car at speed is not one of them.

This is not something I'd make a habit of doing and I'm not suggesting anyone do this even once.

165MPH in my stock 996 Turbo. The car felt super stable and if it wasn't for the scenery zipping by at a blur it didn't seem that fast.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost 200 mph with the X50 tacho indicated, had more left but ran out of road. 202 mph GPS with the M5 V10, could of added a few more but same there, ran out of road.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:29 PM
saudio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody do a top speed run in a Cabriolet? I would think a 200 mph wind on a fabric top would be rather sporty.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 PM
shneapfla
Advanced

Originally Posted by saudio
Anybody do a top speed run in a Cabriolet? I would think a 200 mph wind on a fabric top would be rather sporty.
I have a book about turbos and they cite Porsche that the roof was tested up until 337 km/h (~210 mph)...

Last edited by shneapfla; 03-01-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: no such thing as mpp ;)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have never taken my 964 or 997.1 TT anywhere near where I would like to.

However, when I lived in Germany in the early 2000's I routinely took my m3 to it's limit at 155ish mph and it handled impeccably. Drove my bosses 996 C4 a little faster and had no problem. Autobahn is/was amazing.

Never even gave it a 2nd thought.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that I own a vehicle that is capable of doing 180+, I have to admit, this sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity that would be hard to pass up.
The only thing holding me back is I'm a married man with kids. They depend on me.
However, I love life experiences and this would be a big one to me. How do you find out about locations that allow this (air strip)? I searched and found this sanctioned event, but know nothing about the organization.
http://shift-s3ctor.com/
Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Driving out to pocono to watch a racing event. I hit 160 mph on route 80 in jersey there is a long straight. Car felt very stable at that speed. I backed off didnt want to get clocked at that speed and I just didnt want to chance any faster on the street
Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 AM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by Yogi911
How/where do you get this kind of information on tire pressure for 1/2, 1, 1.5, top speed run, autobahn type driving other than "what makes sense"?
Actually in the owners manual. When I got my 991 Turbo S I was checking out the tire pressure section because I wanted to change them to launch the car better and there was a whole section on tire pressures for "comfort mode" where you could lower the pressure but then it warned against driving too fast for a sustained period of time.

From there I did some more research from shops that participate in airstrip events and track events and they confrmed this and particularly how important the right pressure is.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM
longboarder
Pro

Originally Posted by ble2011
Now that I own a vehicle that is capable of doing 180+, I have to admit, this sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity that would be hard to pass up.
The only thing holding me back is I'm a married man with kids. They depend on me.
However, I love life experiences and this would be a big one to me. How do you find out about locations that allow this (air strip)? I searched and found this sanctioned event, but know nothing about the organization.
If you want more information on stuff like this please pm me. I'm friends with the event organizers and helped promote their early events back in 2011 and 2012 (they don't need my kelp anymore).

Since then a number of other companies have been founded to do similar events and now you can do 1/2 mile events all across the US. Most are on the west coast but they are now all over California (northern and central), Arizona, Oregon, Colorado, Indiana, Illinois, Texas, Florida, and a couple in the NorthEast.

I take videos of all the events I go to here's the last Shift Sector event in October. I just returned from an event this past weekend but don't have a vid finished yet.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:44 PM
shneapfla
Advanced

Originally Posted by ble2011
The next location where I can go as fast as I want is about 2 mls away (the autobahn A3)!

However, in the US I would look out for an airstrip - no racetrack is designed for topspeed as you need a very long straight.
I'm not sure if 1/2 mile is sufficient to hit 180 mph...
Old 06-06-2017, 06:09 AM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the process of selling my company over the past year, worked from 9am - 2am everyday and ti unwind i would go for a 30 min drive on the state route along the Ohio river, Ive never had a car with less than 450 hp and never took them over 130. Within a week the car was so confidence inspiring I wouldn't look at the dash to keep my eyes on the road. The more i stayed on it the more control i felt like i had. slippery slope. within a week i would at least make 1 run to 170 then cruise back to the limit. Week two 190 came 4 days in a row and i put an end to it. at that speed cops wont pursue but i knew i didnt have the skill to correct a mishap at that rate. fun two weeks, still pulling hard at 190 but might have ruined the car for me now. anything under 120 feels like 59. One day illl take it over 2 but it will be on a track with an inspection minutes before setting out. I driive hard but it was crazy that other than fear of something going wrong it almost was boring. it gets there so quick and you can feel the downforce through the roof but you adjust quickly. last run i was aroun 190 and found myself playing with the radio! dont partake in such things but i imagine it was like and just as risky as a heroine habit. big rush then you need it to feel anything. never thought id say this - just dont, worst case it goes well and you enjoy it then all day you are waiting for your fix and over enough time its assured you will have a bad night and that's the maybe never coming home again bad. It didnt help though when i met a local officer and he told me over 135 they have a do not pursue policy. they wont catch you and you will just go faster to get away then someone innocent gets hurt on their way home from work. I did my last run on my 33rd nday which was the day i sold and began retirement. fitting good bye and i still take a nighly spin but its the rover or of xfr to actually unwind and take in the night. Been looking for an old 912 for this one use. very slow but nice handling and like the DB9 I had speeding wasn't cool, driving downtown at 20 had people yelling nice ride could be heard, 190 i couldn't process thoughts besides gap analysis 1 mile away. Guess i retired from racing too and became a dare officer - just say no

Quick Reply: I'm curious if anyone here