Sponsored by:

Service question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:23 PM
bruni911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service question

My question is that my 997tt service history.
I going to do the plugs and oil changes my self as I have done them in the past but the car has 12000miles on it and I know when it comes time to sell people want the service history.
My question is for guy that wrenchs on there own cars how do you show service history ?
At least I buy all the parts from Porsche so I have the receipts for that with the date on it.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Save the receipts and put a note in the maintenance manual and note the miles.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I do my service's as well and just write it in the service book.
For the basics any buyer should be understanding. It's only oil and filters after all.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DIYer here. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've paid a mechanic to do something, and it's usually because I don't have the tools or equipment (tire mounting/balancing, wheel alignment, etc.). We are talking over 15 years of driving and just as many cars/motorcycles. Not once have I had an issue reselling. Yes, there will be the potential buyers that are sticklers for proper maintenance and want the service history of the car, but for every 1 that will walk away without that information, there are 3 more that either don't care, or understand that not everyone pays a mechanic to do simple maintenance that they can do themselves. Verifiable dealer records are great, but not a deal breaker for me. I for one wouldn't walk on a deal if it was from an individual who claimed to do all their own work, seemed mechanically inclined and adept in automotive knowledge, and had receipts for parts they purchased and installed and could recount the dates and mileage the work was done.

FWIW, I just sold my M3 not too long ago, and the last 2 years I owned it, I did everything to it myself. I kept the receipts for all the parts I bought, usually wrote the date/mileage it was done directly on the receipt, and kept a *very* detailed spreadsheet outlining everything that was done on the car. It sold after 6 weeks to the first guy that came to look at it, and for basically what I was asking. He knew I did all the work myself on the car and felt very comfortable with this. Didn't even bat an eyelash.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:15 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the key is what constitutes a "record". I have always done my own wrenching and keep a meticulous log in which I write down date and mileage, a short narrative of the work performed, and my out of pocket costs. This has always been acceptable to any buyer of my cars. And, even though I keep most receipts, they have never asked to see them.

Quick Reply: Service question