Sponsored by:

350gt

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 350gt

There's some obvious overlap in appeal between then 977tt and a 350gt. Who has done the swap and how do you like it for daily driver duty, and how does it compare? Which one would you choose if garage space, limited you to one (,but other $ didn't)?

Numbers and actual driving experience aside the turbo has a slightly intangible grown up appeal about it that the ford never will. On the one hand, I'm trying to figure out if that matters enough to me to offset the fun of that v8. On the other hand I'm not sure that the ford actually has the low hassle, worst case, it just takes money, every day livability of the turbo.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:20 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see the posts on this one, but I'll save my little brother from seeing some of the words used...Ha!!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:46 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

A 2008 turbo sits in my one car garage. So I made my choice.

But, big fan of GT350, and "R" variant. Although not loving the new body style. I saw a 350 from afar and it looked great. Nothing but rave reviews on new flat crank 8.

Had many special mustangs over the years. Always end up with a flying brick.

If only I had a two-car garage....
Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been seriously considering adding a 12c, but having that FP V8 would be nice too, not nearly the same quality car...but a lot less $$ too, including cost like a $30k tranny replacement or the $4-5k mac annual warranty. Luckily, I slapped together a 4 car garage out of corrugated metal...so gives me the room to consider it. Looking forward to more impressions on the GT350, the R seems to be great...but hate the idea of those giant mark ups over MSRP.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

think its a great car, but I have enough cars and wouldn't sell them to get the ford.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

I suspect the markups will go away once production is up to speed. Just like prior Shelbys.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

You need both, as one does not substitute for the other. If you are bored with your TT, then change I get it. But if you had to pick one and you are not bored with the TT then keep the 7TT.

I bought a new GT350R in Lightning Blue a few months ago and this car has been a pure joy to drive. If you are lunging for a RWD, high revving V8, great brakes and handling, no nanny, not too extreme, then nothing touches it. It can easily be a DD as the clutch is very light, the ride smooth, and the Recaros super comfortable.

Having said this, it is just a Mustang. And the Porsche Turbo will always be a Porsche Turbo and the king and the old lion!

(PS:I had a 997TT from new until 2014 and now other 911s and mustangs...)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Mustangs, regardless of the trim level, always look outdated to me really fast. I think it's partly because there are just so flippin' many of them, and partly because Ford refreshes them every couple years.

Granted, the new design seems pretty nice and may hold up longer, and to my eye it even borrows some styling cues from WB 911s - the roof/C-pillar contour, rear side glass and rear 3/4 haunches especially. By virtually all accounts the GT350/GT350R is like an epic American GT3 and for driving enjoyment should not leave you with any regrets.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could become one of the last of the V8s w/out turbos...due to cafe regs. Love my TT with zero intent to let it go, just think that it would be good to vary things up. Especially, since both my newer cars have turbos now. The c63s is great in a lot of ways, but has pretty bad lag. The TT lag isn't nearly as bad, even though it is 7 yrs older. Mac is a great super car bargain these days...but w the turbo lag again.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Having both would be awesome...gt350 is a great car to drive. ford did a nice job on the body.

There is nothing like RWD v8 power burnout on command. Get sideways all the fun stuff you cant do in a AWD car.(if you had enough power you could)

997tt will always look nicer than any mustang and German cars will always feel tighter with age.

Since I got my 997TT I have touched my mustang, just not as fun to drive.

If I had to pick it would be 997TT, I dont know if there is a car I would pick over that car at this moment in time.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:56 PM
MadScience
Racer

Thanks everyone, lots of helpful information here. (Not that I'm in any place to act on any of this anytime soon, I can barely find 20 minutes to check in here, finding time to go to a dealer is out of the question right now -- sigh, first world problems.)

o7silverturbo: That's interesting, to me mustangs, or at least svt variants look pretty timeless with the odd outliers in there (like the 996 for many, a look I actually enjoy but will admit is tied to a particular time).

In fact I was recently behind a shockingly mint ~93+ and that made me re-consider this all.

The appeal, to me, is a slightly less disposable version of a car that's been evolved over many many generations.

Still, the p-car has a higher level of fashion that I can't deny. Perhaps I should see if I can get on a list for a manual gt3. (I can't get myself to look, is that $200k or $250k or more? -- yeah, the mustang is not without appeal).
Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Mustangs, regardless of the trim level, always look outdated to me really fast. I think it's partly because there are just so flippin' many of them, and partly because Ford refreshes them every couple years.
In the area I live, Emerald Isle NC, between the college kids, military members and empty-nesters that drive Mustangs.... the Mustangs by far outweigh the Toyota, Hyundai, and Nissan cars...
While I 100% agree, that the 350GT is a very capable performer and sounds beautiful...the fact that the same year 4 or 6 cyl Mustang with some faux body pieces, wheels and stripes...can pass as the real deal by many, not to mention that 99% of people may see just another Mustang, is a slight negative for me. For my money and the desire to have a unique sports car...the 12 TTS was my choice.
Although, one of the toys in my garage is a 2003 Limited Edition Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Truck, w/38K miles. This Supercharged 5.7L (Lightning F-150 Engine), CrewCab is a 4 door Hot-Rod..that has surprised a number of V8 Mustang owner's...on the back-roads and straight-line activities...
So, if one was to think this through, a parallel could be drawn between my HD Truck and the 350GT (same, but different), with respect to owning a performance variant of a mass produced vehicle. That said, as nice as the 350GT may be, the P-Car is my sports-car of choice....

Last edited by johnbelk; 01-19-2017 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Stuff
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
In the area I live, Emerald Isle NC, between the college kids, military members and empty-nesters that drive Mustangs.... the Mustangs by far outweigh the Toyota, Hyundai, and Nissan cars...
While I 100% agree, that the 350GT is a very capable performer and sounds beautiful...the fact that the same year 4 or 6 cyl Mustang with some faux body pieces, wheels and stripes...can pass as the real deal by many, not to mention that 99% of people may see just another Mustang, is a slight negative for me.
The same can go for the 911 turbo cars, besides that is says turbo on the back. I have people say nice carrera which ill give them, but I have had people ask me if it was a boxster . Only real car nuts are going to know and care what it is. Most people would see the badge and just think its another mustang, Porsche or whatever.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:01 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
The same can go for the 911 turbo cars, besides that is says turbo on the back. I have people say nice carrera which ill give them, but I have had people ask me if it was a boxster . Only real car nuts are going to know and care what it is. Most people would see the badge and just think its another mustang, Porsche or whatever.
EDITED
To some extent you're right... I guess it's more just me then...that I'd rather have my TTS than a 350GT...and that one of my reasons for owning a Porsche 997.2 TTS vs. a 350GT is for those times when someone does indeed know the difference. Some of this comes down to, that I've sold some of my toys recently, keeping what I really enjoy driving and have time to do so. There's just not enough about the 350GT that would have me buy one...and letting one of the others go, which is where I'm at with the number of car I'll keep. Does that make sense? JB

Last edited by johnbelk; 01-19-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM
MadScience
Racer

Heh, in every day usage, a big part of the appeal of the turbo, for me at least, is that most folks just see a boxster and consider that as less than a 5 series.

Quick Reply: 350gt