Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad experience with dealership, not sure what to think at this point..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:44 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Congrats! Def hit the ring in a the turbo!
The turbo will be right at home in the fatherland (typically motherland implies Russia). You'll have a blast. Is there a way to bypass tuv regs re some of the mods since you're importing a us car?
Thanx for your service (former usn here).
C
Because the car is being shipped here on Military orders and not technically "imported", I am exempt from any TUV restrictions regarding modifications to vehicles. I do still have to go through a safety inspection annually that is very strict and thorough, but as far as mods I am free to do whatever I want as long as the vehicle is deemed safe to operate.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:01 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, I give you serious props! Sensible, measured, well thought out responses to some unnecessary and harsh criticisms.

Your original post did seem to explain a situation many of us never would have tolerated, including me. Of course, we weren't completely informed of your military and overseas status or your age, not that you are required to post any of these things. I, for one, am thankful there are people like you in our armed services.

Insofar as the transaction is concerned, good luck! Your dedication and research seems to be paying off and I just hope the car works out for you. I have bought more than one car long distance, and it takes plenty of long distance cooperation and more than a little trust.

You're smart to fly in to close the deal. Personally, for $60K+/-, I'd try to get that thing PPI'd and on a lift while I was there, by an independent before you pay for it. Nothing like going over a car with an expert and asking questions.

Autobahn, here you come!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Just a heads up that the car is still up on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Porsche...m=302186307909
Old 01-17-2017, 07:24 PM
TurnOne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT

As already mentioned but worth repeating for the OP, the dealer will **** you over in a second if they get more money or same money right now.
Happens all the time.

This being on Ebay with BIN proves this to be the case here.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT

Interesting, that asking price is what I paid for my 07 stock 6mt blk/blk turbo w/ 15K less miles than this one & full CPO 3 years ago...
Old 01-18-2017, 01:21 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurnOne
As already mentioned but worth repeating for the OP, the dealer will **** you over in a second if they get more money or same money right now.
Happens all the time.

This being on Ebay with BIN proves this to be the case here.
I asked the dealership why the ad was still up a week ago after I sent my deposit. They stated that they will take the ads down when the deal is completed and they have money in hand. Apparently they don't trust that I will follow through with the deal and are keeping the ads up to "take potential buyers names" to call them back if there is any other interest and I back out. Apparently there are people out there that are willing to lose $1000, but not me. In fact the owner, before I sent my deposit told me that the deposit would be non-refundable because he had a guy a few weeks ago give $1000 for a car, then back out and demand his money back, so the dealership is wary of a "measly" $1000 deposit.

When I sent my guy in to check out the dealership and the car, he walked in and asked James (the salesman) about the 2007 911 they had, and his immediate response was "it's sold". I am sure they are not going to sell the car out from under me, and worse case scenario: they do, and you are all right. Then what? I get my deposit back and move onto another 911. It's just not something I am concerned with, and I see nothing wrong with them keeping the ad up to take potential buyers names. If that's what they want to do, good for them. The car is mine and I'm buying it on the 31st.

Originally Posted by saabin
Interesting, that asking price is what I paid for my 07 stock 6mt blk/blk turbo w/ 15K less miles than this one & full CPO 3 years ago...
I feel as though prices have probably come up since then on the 6mt's, due to 3 pedal nostalgia maybe? I know I haven't been in the 911 game long, but in the last few weeks I've done TONS of research and cost comparison, and most 997.1 911's in the $60k-$65k price range are tiptronic. 6mt's seem to be fetching more than $70k depending on mileage. I'm sure you can get a nice tiptronic for a little less than I am paying for this, but there was in fact only one other 6mt 911 for sale in the united states (on Ebay or Autotrader) and it is $66,500. Also, I am not paying asking price.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:29 AM
TurnOne
Advanced

Ok, so they are willing to screw over an Ebay purchaser instead of you? The buy it now price indicates they are willing to sell. Ebay won't do much to them, but they could be sued for it, albeit unlikely. Side note, they also only ask for $500 deposit on eBay.
I'm still hoping it works out for you. I just hate how some dealers are.
When I was in the Navy, I couldn't afford nearly this nice of a car. Cheers to you for wanting one to drive in Germany. A dream for many.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Rat3d M
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurnOne
Ok, so they are willing to screw over an Ebay purchaser instead of you? The buy it now price indicates they are willing to sell. Ebay won't do much to them, but they could be sued for it, albeit unlikely. Side note, they also only ask for $500 deposit on eBay.
I'm still hoping it works out for you. I just hate how some dealers are.
When I was in the Navy, I couldn't afford nearly this nice of a car. Cheers to you for wanting one to drive in Germany. A dream for many.
I didn't say I agree with the way they choose to do business, in fact considering everything I have been through I will never do business with them again once this deal is over, and I urge everyone else to steer clear as well. I do feel confident that the car will be as advertised and that the deal will turn out fine for me regardless of any hard feelings between us in the end, but that doesn't change the fact that I feel the dealership is misleading and vague at best, and that they are certainly guilty of being total a-holes toward me as a paying customer. Not to make excuses for them, but in regards to how they have been toward me, I have been a rather demanding and pushy buyer. I'm sure they would even go so far as to call me annoying with my multiple daily emails and phone calls. When we started out, they didn't have this same attitude toward me. They were very accommodating, polite and responsive/respectful at first.

Regarding them leaving the Ebay listing up, the fact of the matter is, Ebay is a joke. They very rarely step in, and if they do, it's usually a strongly worded email advising the guilty party to cease doing the action that broke the rules in the first place. For a first offense, they won't be banned, fined, sued, or have any action taken against them that warrants anything on their part other than a scoff and a click of the delete button. Sad, but true. I've purchased items on Ebay a few times only to have the seller cancel my purchase (even after I've paid) and tell me that the item was no longer available for any number of reasons (sold outside Ebay, no longer available, damaged, etc.). Chances are if someone bought the car using the BIN option (unlikely) they would simply cancel the transaction and inform them that the car has been sold.

Ebay isn't a good place to buy automobiles. There is no recourse to either buyer or seller if the deal goes south. I requested that they take the ad down and they declined citing that they want to keep the car advertised to gain interest in case I decide to back out, and they are within their right to do so as long as they don't sell the car until I tell them I no longer want it.

Someone should "buy" the car with a BIN just to see what they say. I'd be interested to know.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:19 AM
MachinegunT
Track Day

Good looking Turbo! Congrats!

Quick Reply: Bad experience with dealership, not sure what to think at this point..?