Sponsored by:

FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by johnbelk
The question should be : How much would you pay for a wheel that meets or exceeds OEM specifications? I cannot imagine a $500.00 to $800.00 wheel would do so, maybe I'm wrong. These cars are capable of nearly 200 MPH and tremendous cornering and braking capabilities, and I'd be very concerned not knowing what a wheel's limit's were. Aggressively, pushing a car into a turn, braking and then accellerating is not the time for a wheel failure. Unless, someone is just a "look at my pretty wheels" person and never plans to track or push the car's limits, I'd be concerned.
This post is not pointed at Wheel Dynamics or any others...just my own opinion. I'd need to know a wheel had a long proven safety record, before buying it, at least for one of these beasts.

You can make cheaper wheels more robust by making the spokes thicker, aka the wheel heavier. A low price doesn't indicate that the wheels would be easy to break. Just that they are either fragile or heavy.

Those OEM Porsche wheels (997 turbo) have triple-spokes, none of those broken ones do. OEM Porsche wheels tend to be pretty heavy, especially anything 5-spoke like the current 20" Sport Classic.

Quick Reply: FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY