Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Voltage are you seeing from Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:30 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What Voltage are you seeing from Alternator?

Hi All,

Wondering what voltage people are seeing from their alternator with the car idling...

My understanding is that over 14.4 volts means the voltage regulator is no longer functioning correctly. Using a voltmeter on the battery I have recently observed a range of voltages on my 07 turbo, all greater than 14.4 volts. The highest voltage (~15 volts) was during a cold snap, and it seems like the colder the temperature the higher the voltage. I have an appointment set up to replace the alternator (apparently on our cars you can not just replace the voltage regulator), but would be interested to hear what voltage others have seen...or if anyone else has seen this issue.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by skyak
Hi All,

Wondering what voltage people are seeing from their alternator with the car idling...

My understanding is that over 14.4 volts means the voltage regulator is no longer functioning correctly. Using a voltmeter on the battery I have recently observed a range of voltages on my 07 turbo, all greater than 14.4 volts. The highest voltage (~15 volts) was during a cold snap, and it seems like the colder the temperature the higher the voltage. I have an appointment set up to replace the alternator (apparently on our cars you can not just replace the voltage regulator), but would be interested to hear what voltage others have seen...or if anyone else has seen this issue.
Not sure where you got that "14.4V" number means the voltage regulator is no longer functioning. I believe the voltage regulator is designed to "fail safe" and not deliver voltage rather than deliver an over voltage which could wreck havoc on the car's electrical system.

Typically the battery voltage will be high after a start, and especially a cold start, in order to recharge the battery. The voltage level at the battery drops over time as the battery gets topped up and the amount of volts routed to the battery is reduced.

Also, if additional electrical load is enabled -- the lights are turned on, the A/C system is turned on -- the battery voltage drops some as some electrical power is instead of being routed to the battery is routed to the car's electrical system to meet the increased electrical demand.

Given the cost of replacing an alternator in one of these cars I'd want to be darn sure it needed replacement.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi All,

Voltage regulator can fail that you dont get enough voltage or too much.

You can def see 14.8 -14.9 when a/c radio etc is turned on. and snapping the throttle will draw for more amps making your voltage go up.

Has your gauge been moving up and down? battery light?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 AM
skyak
Rennlist Member

The measurements I took were at idle only. I have not had any dash warning lights. It just seems to me that the voltage regulator should never allow over 15 volts if it was working properly...
Old 12-23-2016, 10:00 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

The measurements I took were at idle only. I have not had any dash warning lights. It just seems to me that the voltage regulator should never allow over 15 volts if it was working properly...
15 volts is alittle on the high side. I can try and take a reading later on my car and see what it is.

also is your battery strong?
Old 12-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

14.1 up to maybe 14.3 at the max.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
14.1 up to maybe 14.3 at the max.
Thank you! That is about what I would have expected...makes me feel better about spending the $$ on the replacement.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:46 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
15 volts is alittle on the high side. I can try and take a reading later on my car and see what it is.

also is your battery strong?
Battery is an Interstate, only about a year old. Too much time at 15 volts is probably not good for it though.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Battery is an Interstate, only about a year old. Too much time at 15 volts is probably not good for it though.
FWIW, I had a new Interstate battery fail in my 996 Turbo after just 7 months.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:51 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
FWIW, I had a new Interstate battery fail in my 996 Turbo after just 7 months.
Huh...could a bad battery cause a high voltage reading across of it?
Old 12-23-2016, 04:58 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Huh...could a bad battery cause a high voltage reading across of it?
very unlikely, just sounds like your regulator is on its way out

Quick Reply: What Voltage are you seeing from Alternator?