Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:32 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Code P1346 Valve Lift Control Bank 1

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a little input from the Rennlist community. Recently my car has thrown a CEL using Durametrics I pulled the codes and received a P1346 Valve Lift Control Bank 1 code.

I have read that the Brackets and solenoids associated with vario-cam can cause problems and throw codes etc. My concern is that the code given is not a typical code for this, from my research Vario-Cam issues typically throw a P1371 code.

I do have a shop at my disposal but currently the car resides a few provinces away and it is currently parked in a condo parkade. I dont have a lot of space to work, and my time is limited working on the car. I am wondering if there is a way to better diagnose the problem via data logging to help narrow down the likely cause? I am trying to limit the amount of time that the car sits torn apart and feel that proper time spent diagnosing will cut that down. I have no problem throwing a part at it, but I would like to make sure it is the right part first, It seems like the bracket or solenoid is a likely cause, but at the same time there seem like there could be other issues that may throw this.

Thanks for any help

Jordan
Old 12-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Error codes that begin with P1XXX are manufacture specific.

You must be sure what the exact "definition" of the error code is for your car/model/year.

The error code might really point to a VarioCam Plus hardware problem, but the problem also might lie with some other part of the engine, say the oil pressure is low, or it could even be with the E-Gas system. From a search of P1346 error codes for various Porsche models the above is what I found.

Unless you get lucky and someone with a car very similar to yours has been down this path and can advise you, the only surefire way I know to get the correct definition for your car is to have the code read by a dealer service deparrtment which has the PIWIS system and the tech has the correct and up to date OBD2 reference for your car.

Until you are sure of the error code and hopefully the tech can provide you, will provide you, with a printout of the applicable pages from the manual (my techs have done this a few times for me), you are working in the dark.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:19 PM
Stan987.2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution?

Hi Jordan:
Did you ever find out what was causing the P1346 code?
Thanks,
Craig

Last edited by Stan987.2; 11-27-2019 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Incorrect title
Old 11-27-2019, 06:35 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan987.2
Hi Jordan:
Did you ever find out what was causing the P1346 code?
Thanks,
Craig
Yes I did, the dealership couldn’t figure it out, but I used durametric and datalogged the camshaft deviation and actual camshaft angles and noticed that they dipped when I had the hesitation in my power band. cause was a bad vario cam sensor or solenoid (can’t remember which one, but if you look through my previous posts it’s probably mentioned)

before you replace the sensor/solenoid though see if the bracket for it had corroded and snapped, it seems to be a more common problem. The sensor/solenoid is pressure activated and the pressure on it with a broken bracket is just enough to push it back slightly and disengage the cam advancement, Henderson the lag
The following users liked this post:
MikeAnimates (01-22-2023)
Old 11-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Stan987.2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Quick Reply: Code P1346 Valve Lift Control Bank 1