Sponsored by:

Car smoking allot

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 PM
Miamivice997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car smoking allot

just installed the Cobb accessport and tubi catless exhaust. Noticed allot of smoke comming out of the exhaust. Is this normal ? Could this be bc of no cats now? I know Porsches are notorious for burning oil but this is allot of smoke.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:07 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt it has to do with the cat delete. Is your oil level correct? Did you take it for a good drive to see if it cleared up. could just be the new exhaust burning off any contaminants from manufacturing.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Miamivice997
Track Day

Yea I've driven about 150 miles so far. Car is running strong and the oil level is full. Just allot of smoke comming from exhaust. I'm on the stage 2 map from Cobb
Old 12-18-2016, 11:39 AM
ctony66
Racer

When you say full do you mean to the top bar? I keep mine at one bar below the top. Did you just change it recently or has it been that level for a while? Is the smoke blue or black? If it's black swap back to a stock tune and see if it goes away. If you do your own work then try pulling the hoses off the turbo outlets and see if there is oil in them.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Miamivice997
Track Day

Originally Posted by ctony66
When you say full do you mean to the top bar? I keep mine at one bar below the top. Did you just change it recently or has it been that level for a while? Is the smoke blue or black? If it's black swap back to a stock tune and see if it goes away. If you do your own work then try pulling the hoses off the turbo outlets and see if there is oil in them.

the smoke is kinda a blue color and smells like gas / oil burning. The oil was changed six months ago and is reading full to the top.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:30 PM
ctony66
Racer

It only takes a few min to swap the tune back just to be sure (doubt that's it but what the heck). Without the cats you will get a slightly stronger exhaust/gas smell.If you think it's oil then it's a process of elimination to see where it's coming from. Like I said the easiest way to see if it's being introduced through the intake is to pull the hose off the turbo out (oil tends to pool up there). You can pull the y pipe but you probably won't see any pooling in that but you can open the butterfly and look into the plenum with a flashlight. I remember seeing a thread simillar to this but I forget what the outcome was.You can try and search for it to see what it was but either way you need to find the source. It could be something as simple as the oil level being a bit high. I'm sure with the new tune your flogging it a bit more than normal also so the oil level is more critical.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Could just be your new exhaust and muffler packing oil/coating burning off. Google it if you'd like, this is very common it seems. I've had 3 exhausts on various cars and they all did this until I brought it up to nice and hot temps for an extended period of time, multiple times. With new exhausts the sound will slowly change (break in) and it'll smoke initially from my experience.

Now if this is happening under hard acceleration or when the boost really hits, it could be that you're running on a rich side. Since this is an off the shelf tune, especially COBB, it's probably very conservative and AFR could be on the rich side. Once I get COBB I'll have my tuner check everything and fine tune it. Maybe your local tuner could take a quick look at the COBB maps/logs on the dyno?

Last edited by Ruskiy; 12-18-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Car smoking allot