Windows drop from the outside, but not the inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:19 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Windows drop from the outside, but not the inside

I have been searching with no luck.

When I pull on the door handles from inside the car, the windows don't drop slightly like they used to.
Once the door has opened, the window drops like it should, but it does it late. How would the micro switch only work from outside & not inside?

They work properly when I'm outside the car.

I had some carbon fiber pieces replaced & the door panels were off, so I think that's where the issue originated, but I can't figure out what happened.

I've done the window reset thing quite a few times with no luck.

Sorry if this has been covered... I've been unable to find it.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 12-11-2016, 12:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CTDan
I have been searching with no luck.

When I pull on the door handles from inside the car, the windows don't drop slightly like they used to.
Once the door has opened, the window drops like it should, but it does it late. How would the micro switch only work from outside & not inside?

They work properly when I'm outside the car.

I had some carbon fiber pieces replaced & the door panels were off, so I think that's where the issue originated, but I can't figure out what happened.

I've done the window reset thing quite a few times with no luck.

Sorry if this has been covered... I've been unable to find it.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Using either door handle when the handle is pulled -- but not enough to actually work the door latch -- the window should drop.

If you release the handle the window should go up again.

This is a sign the handle switches are working right.

If you pull on the handle hard enough to actually work the door latch and open the door when you release the handle the window should stay down.

When you close the door the window should go up.

This is a sign the door latch switch is working.

In your car's case the door handle switch is not working right. I believe there is just one switch and both handles are mechanically linked to it, so (if I'm right of course) the switch is ok the mechanical linkage of the inside handle is suspect.

Since the door was apart to add CF bits the old "last thing touched first thing suspected" rule comes into play.

You need to check that in installing the new CF bits the linkage inside the door was not upset.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:24 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Using either door handle when the handle is pulled -- but not enough to actually work the door latch -- the window should drop.

If you release the handle the window should go up again.

This is a sign the handle switches are working right.

If you pull on the handle hard enough to actually work the door latch and open the door when you release the handle the window should stay down.

When you close the door the window should go up.

This is a sign the door latch switch is working.

In your car's case the door handle switch is not working right. I believe there is just one switch and both handles are mechanically linked to it, so (if I'm right of course) the switch is ok the mechanical linkage of the inside handle is suspect.

Since the door was apart to add CF bits the old "last thing touched first thing suspected" rule comes into play.

You need to check that in installing the new CF bits the linkage inside the door was not upset.
I agree... I'd like to be able to tell the interior shop what I'm needing done to correct the issue.
Could you tell me where/what/how that mechanical linkage attaches to the interior pull handle?

I've not had them apart myself... if it's something that's pretty obvious, I apologize.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I had this happen and had the door handle replaced.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

I agree... I'd like to be able to tell the interior shop what I'm needing done to correct the issue.
Could you tell me where/what/how that mechanical linkage attaches to the interior pull handle?

I've not had them apart myself... if it's something that's pretty obvious, I apologize.
Well, my opinion is that if you have to tell the shop what's wrong and what needs to be done to correct a problem it apparently caused you are using the wrong shop.

That said I'm not totally unsympathetic to your situation.

But I can't answer specifically. While I have had my Boxster door apart I never bothered to look at the handles and how they operate the switch (or switches) that cause the window to drop and the door latch to unlatch.

My best advice is to take the car back and bring the window behavior to the shop's attention, the manager's attention, and ask the behavior be corrected. The behavior wasn't there before you brought the car in for the CF installation.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:59 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Well, my opinion is that if you have to tell the shop what's wrong and what needs to be done to correct a problem it apparently caused you are using the wrong shop.

That said I'm not totally unsympathetic to your situation.

But I can't answer specifically. While I have had my Boxster door apart I never bothered to look at the handles and how they operate the switch (or switches) that cause the window to drop and the door latch to unlatch.

My best advice is to take the car back and bring the window behavior to the shop's attention, the manager's attention, and ask the behavior be corrected. The behavior wasn't there before you brought the car in for the CF installation.

It was an interior shop that did the CF install... I'm trying to figure it out for him (a friend of mine that has not done a lot with P cars, but normally works on custom cars instead).
I took the car to my P car mechanic, & he said he wanted to get more info before we throw parts at it. That's where my thread started & is still seems to be stuck.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I had this happen and had the door handle replaced.

Thank you for this info.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Macster
Race Director

It was an interior shop that did the CF install... I'm trying to figure it out for him (a friend of mine that has not done a lot with P cars, but normally works on custom cars instead).
I took the car to my P car mechanic, & he said he wanted to get more info before we throw parts at it. That's where my thread started & is still seems to be stuck.
My first post was based on a demo I received from a Porsche tech when I had my Boxster in for what proved to be a bad door lock controller.

He demo'd the proper behavior using another car, showing me how the window should drop when either handle was pulled but go back up if the door was not opened or stay down if the door was opened.

With the door open and the window down then he manually closed the door latch using a large screwdriver to fool the door lock switch the door was closed and the window went up even with the door open. A pull on the handle then had the window dropping again and because the door was open staying down.

The tech said for my car he could only identify the source of the problem once he got the door open and could do some more tests (and maybe do a visual inspection looking for a mechanical explanation to the behavior). He had hopes it was just a door handle switch but suspected it was the door lock controller. (There were other symptoms besides the window not dropping when the door was open.)

I'm not recommending you or your mechanic throw parts at the behavior but it seems clear to me that the door will need to be opened up and the mechanical linkage between the two handles and their switches, or switch if they share a common switch, be checked for any signs of a problem. If the mechanical linkage appears to be good then an electrical problem, door switch, seems more likely.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:48 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

the handle comes in contact with an actuator inside the door panel. Should release the window even before unlatching the door (from the inside). They obviously didn't put things back together properly.

I will search some diy threads, because I think I remember seeing a pic a few years ago (when I was installing my own CF trim pieces) that showed how it works.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:49 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

My first post was based on a demo I received from a Porsche tech when I had my Boxster in for what proved to be a bad door lock controller.

He demo'd the proper behavior using another car, showing me how the window should drop when either handle was pulled but go back up if the door was not opened or stay down if the door was opened.

With the door open and the window down then he manually closed the door latch using a large screwdriver to fool the door lock switch the door was closed and the window went up even with the door open. A pull on the handle then had the window dropping again and because the door was open staying down.

The tech said for my car he could only identify the source of the problem once he got the door open and could do some more tests (and maybe do a visual inspection looking for a mechanical explanation to the behavior). He had hopes it was just a door handle switch but suspected it was the door lock controller. (There were other symptoms besides the window not dropping when the door was open.)

I'm not recommending you or your mechanic throw parts at the behavior but it seems clear to me that the door will need to be opened up and the mechanical linkage between the two handles and their switches, or switch if they share a common switch, be checked for any signs of a problem. If the mechanical linkage appears to be good then an electrical problem, door switch, seems more likely.
This sounds very reasonable. Thank you for the response.
Dan
Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

your door handle itself has a pin that, when in the closed position (resting) actuates the device that raises and lowers the window. Could be something as simple as your door handle wasn't installed properly, but more likely a problem with the actuator, which sits inside the door panel, behind the door handle itself. If you had the "trim spears" (trim pieces that surround the door handle) installed, then they would have to remove/replace the door handle mechanism, and this happened when they put it all back together.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:45 AM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Domer911
your door handle itself has a pin that, when in the closed position (resting) actuates the device that raises and lowers the window. Could be something as simple as your door handle wasn't installed properly, but more likely a problem with the actuator, which sits inside the door panel, behind the door handle itself. If you had the "trim spears" (trim pieces that surround the door handle) installed, then they would have to remove/replace the door handle mechanism, and this happened when they put it all back together.
This is very good information!
Thank you!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 04:12 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrecting this thread; moving either handle always causes driver side window to lower, but sometimes the window goes right back up, instead of staying down until closed. Is there a sensor in the door that knows it's closed, or simply a latch mechanism sensor?
Old 04-14-2017, 01:43 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

I had the door panel off today looking to see if something could be out of adjustment, but I can't see how it would be since it's all one plastic unit that snaps into place...

Am I correct in thinking the pin on the door handle is making the micro-switch or it wouldn't ever be in the up position? It seems like the rocker (micro-switch) is functioning correctly (it's clicking anyway) & the switch appears to be "made" all of the time until you pull the handle & the pin moves away from the switch.... then the window drops.

I'm considering ordering the new micro-switch for the drivers side & seeing if it fixes it. If it does I'll order the passenger side next.

That is, Unless someone has a better suggestion.

Quick Reply: Windows drop from the outside, but not the inside