Sponsored by:

Intercoolers for 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:23 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Intercoolers for 997.1

i have a high boost E85 car , stock turbo . KCHU is selling the AMS alpha intercoolers. i've read about the gt2rs intercoolers , are the AMS coolers that much better to justify the huge price increase ?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:08 AM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

No.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:38 AM
GotTwins
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CMS Intercoolers are much better... ask Longboarder (who dominates at the track).

I've got a set for you at an unbeatable price!

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...grade-kit.html
Old 12-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Cursed1
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

It's so hard to learn the truth about topics like these on the net, especially on Renn and 6sp where competing vendors are after your business.

In your case, for $1100 mentioned in your 6sp post, the upgrade is a no brainer. There are a ton of people using them and very few negative comments from the actual owners. The only negative stuff I read about the AMS coolers is an opinion that they are too large and are "heat sinks"... IS this true, I don't know... I've never seen any actual data to support either opinion.

Best of luck.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:59 PM
bondjockey
Racer

The poster Earl did a fairly extensive comparison on the other site and none of the aftermarket coolers did any better (and most did worse) than the GT2 coolers. The intercoolers from Alpha are fine if you are planning to do straight line pulls but for road and track the GT2 IC's have less heat soak and weigh less. The only downside to the GT2's is that some owners have had a problem with the plastic end tanks failing under very high boost levels. Some owners will epoxy the ends.

If money is no object than you can look at the aerospace cores but they run $10k or more. If the AM coolers were demonstrably better I am sure that they would advertise side by side comparisons with GT2 coolers. None do.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:28 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO88 has a side-by-side comparison with the GT2RS intercoolers. The numbers look pretty good, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to do a critical analysis.

http://www.do88.se/sv/artiklar/porsc...ooler-kit.html
Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

i can get you srm 4.5" i/c with boost hoses for 1550$ shipped usa
Old 12-12-2016, 10:56 AM
do88 performance
Former Vendor

We suggest you buy something that´s supported by trustworthy and thorough data. Why not all brands offer this is up to them, we can only speak for ourselves. If you are interested in a set you are more than welcome to shoot us a PM. Regardless of which route you´re headed, make sure that you get test figures. How else can you know? Fearing the data is fiddled with? Anyone are free to test our stuff out if you dout our own figures.

3looi and Rickard (SMR racing) are two that´s running our stuff at this forum. Ask them what they think.

Good luck!
BR,
Isak, do88.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by do88 performance
We suggest you buy something that´s supported by trustworthy and thorough data. Why not all brands offer this is up to them, we can only speak for ourselves. If you are interested in a set you are more than welcome to shoot us a PM. Regardless of which route you´re headed, make sure that you get test figures. How else can you know? Fearing the data is fiddled with? Anyone are free to test our stuff out if you dout our own figures.

3looi and Rickard (SMR racing) are two that´s running our stuff at this forum. Ask them what they think.

Good luck!
BR,
Isak, do88.
Funny you should say that. Care to comment on the similarity between these pics on your website and those on the AWE website?

notice the identical wording
Old 12-12-2016, 06:10 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Busted!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 PM
kchu221
Banned

Originally Posted by GotTwins
CMS Intercoolers are much better... ask Longboarder (who dominates at the track).

I've got a set for you at an unbeatable price!

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...grade-kit.html
LOL... much better huh? funny you could say that just to sell your kit..
Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, buyer beware especially in I/C claims
Old 12-13-2016, 02:57 AM
do88 performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Funny you should say that. Care to comment on the similarity between these pics on your website and those on the AWE website?

notice the identical wording
Originally Posted by bondjockey
Busted!
Hi chaps!

CFD-analysis is done by most serious companies during development. THis is nothing that´s unique to us, yet something we think should be mentioned! The fact that AWE and we are using a similar (they are not identical btw) phrasing is funny. But that´s all it is. To be frank, this is not the only phrase that tends to be similar to what other manufacturers say.

Here´s a picture of our 997.2 intercooler. Same wording:

And here´s one from our Saab 9-3 (stop laughing now!) intercooler. Similar wording again:

We are really struggling to see how this is relevant to the point about test data I was trying to address. If we were to copy someone´s phrasing, at least we would try and get the English right...

Regards
Isak, do88.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:17 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Originally Posted by do88 performance
Hi chaps!

And here´s one from our Saab 9-3 (stop laughing now!) intercooler. Similar wording again:

We are really struggling to see how this is relevant to the point about test data I was trying to address. If we were to copy someone´s phrasing, at least we would try and get the English right...

This made me lol

That would be one well planned scam to set up an established company with well known, frequently used products just to push a fake intecooler for a specific model. Not really what Swedish tech companies are known for...

Your Big pack is on the to do list for my 997.1 TT. Now I need to get back to work so I can afford it

Quick Reply: Intercoolers for 997.1