Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennkit 997TT Electric Spoiler Kit...Anybody?

Old 11-27-2016, 11:52 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennkit 997TT Electric Spoiler Kit...Anybody?

Has anybody installed the Rennkit electric lift rear spoiler kit?

http://rennkit.com/product-info/997turbo-eram/

Its my turn. Spoiler fault warning light came on yesterday. Spoiler is stuck half up on driver's side and full-up on passenger side. Looks hidious BTW. No evidence of leaking. Lubed it. No luck.

A quick search shows its not "if" it goes bad, just "when and how bad". Rather than treat a chronic problem, I'm thinking about the Rennkit fix.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:49 AM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

that sucks buddy !!
Old 11-28-2016, 01:01 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went that route. Install is easy, you do need to tap into the o2 sensor power for for an ignition switched source for the simulator. I wish I had known that going in.

I believe (but have not confirmed) that this eliminates the limit switches, so you wouldn't now if the spoiler didn't come up from inside the car. Not great, but probably OK for a car that's mostly serving daily driver duty in the US.

There's also quite a bit of play in the rams. This makes me wonder if they don't end up compromising the angle at which the wing sits. I've been meaning to compare them to an extended OEM setup, but have not yet. -- If someone has a bit of time on the SF peninsula with a working OEM setup, PM me.

All that said, they do move up and down reliably and quickly, and if the motor were to fail, I feel that I could likely source a replacement.

I've not torn into my OEM parts yet but mine are stuck about 3/4 of the way up with no signs of leaking and a pump that makes noise when power is applied. I'm guessing a physical failure in the pump which seems like no fun to fix.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Craig T.
Racer

Originally Posted by MadScience
I went that route. Install is easy, you do need to tap into the o2 sensor power for for an ignition switched source for the simulator. I wish I had known that going in.

I believe (but have not confirmed) that this eliminates the limit switches, so you wouldn't now if the spoiler didn't come up from inside the car. Not great, but probably OK for a car that's mostly serving daily driver duty in the US.

There's also quite a bit of play in the rams. This makes me wonder if they don't end up compromising the angle at which the wing sits. I've been meaning to compare them to an extended OEM setup, but have not yet. -- If someone has a bit of time on the SF peninsula with a working OEM setup, PM me.

All that said, they do move up and down reliably and quickly, and if the motor were to fail, I feel that I could likely source a replacement.

I've not torn into my OEM parts yet but mine are stuck about 3/4 of the way up with no signs of leaking and a pump that makes noise when power is applied. I'm guessing a physical failure in the pump which seems like no fun to fix.
Thank you for the detailed reply MadScience.

Oddly, last night when I started the car the tail went down. Now it's working fine. ??? I don't expect it to last, but at least it's a temporary reprieve. 60 days out of a $10K bill for sport clutch, coolant tube fix, new hoses, and water pump, MAF and O2 sensors, etc, it's nice to have a little breathing room.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:57 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought one of the first kits for the 997 turbo.
Great service from Dave and a very good product. No sign of loose rams in my kit - everything is very well made and of high quality.
Install was straightforward and the kit has worked flawlessly since.
I am very pleased with the performance and have no hesitation in recommending the kit or Dave as a supplier.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:09 AM
Craig T.
Racer

I just went out and pulled the plastic vent boxes and cover to the hydraulics. The system is certainly leaking fluid....or has at some time.

I bought the car just over a year ago from RUF in Dallas. Hans repaired the spoiler at the time of purchase. It's possible the fluid leak was old, as it was very dirty (wishful thinking I know). I cleaned it good and will keep an eye on it (but we all know the answer already )
Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
rob.boost
Track Day

I too have the E-Ram kit on my 997tt. I have about 6k miles on my car since they have been installed and they work flawlessly. The install is very easy and straight forward, and replacing one of the motors if they were to fail would be very cost effective.

Dave has great customer service and will make sure that you are taken care of, please feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:45 PM
JF22
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

it is working for me with no issues

Last edited by JF22; 11-28-2016 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typing mistake
Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the play in mine might be just in mine. I'll look into this and will follow up.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by JF22
it is working for me with no issues
That spoiler looks high, certainly higher than the OEM one.. is that adjustable?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:38 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

There are 3 different heights available when you order. I've just ordered mine and got the 4" version, looking forward to installing it.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:41 PM
JF22
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

yes it is adjustable I have 4" version and if I remember correctely they make 2 and 3 inch .the wing has 1.5″ gap as the stock do when raised! But when extended, the wing is 4" above the lid.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:23 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought it was time I chimed in. Thanks to those that have given their impressions of the eRam kit. JF22 has a customized eRam setup. Lowered, his wing is 1.5" from the deck lid spoiler (same height as the extended factory mechanism). Raised it is 4" from the spoiler. There is a video of it here:

Feel free to PM me anytime with questions.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Well, 24 hours after the first symptom of failure the patient died.

I just drove the car over 75 mph and the spoiler light came on again. The spoiler came down this time when the park was turned off, but when I got home there was fluid literally dripping from the cap. Now it's not responsive at all.

No sense in temporary treatments for a chronic problem. I'm going with the Rennkit.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:18 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig T.
Well, 24 hours after the first symptom of failure the patient died.

I just drove the car over 75 mph and the spoiler light came on again. The spoiler came down this time when the park was turned off, but when I got home there was fluid literally dripping from the cap. Now it's not responsive at all.

No sense in temporary treatments for a chronic problem. I'm going with the Rennkit.
Let us know how it goes..although my Fidelity warranty would cover a failure for 2 more years, after that I'd probably go the rennkit route, too..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rennkit 997TT Electric Spoiler Kit...Anybody?