Sponsored by:

New to Pcars, but dying to get into this 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:35 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Range 4 over revs indicates that there were some missed shifts in its life the last events occurring at hour 800.9 (maybe at about 22,000 to 23,000 miles). Since there appear to be over 1,000 hours now, some time has elapsed since that last missed shift. Since you already bought the car, I wouldn't worry about it - not much you can do now. Rental cars tend to be abused so maybe a renter got too aggressive with his shifts.
i have range 4 shifts, mostly result from 1st gear pulls when I didn't shift early enough and went into the low 7k
Old 11-23-2016, 02:13 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I appreciate your feedback, guys. I definitely appreciate it because even as a newb I should know better to just search. In hindsight, I did just that.

I found a lot about over rev reports and it seems that range 6 and perhaps 5 are the real threats, but I still haven't heard of anyone blowing up an engine due to a bad history of over revs.

I'm happy to say that this car has a small number of 5's and absolutely zero 6's. If anyone is expecting that I'm buying my first Porsche super car and I'm not going to at least hit some range 4's, then I might be on the wrong forum

Art
Old 11-23-2016, 03:04 AM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP.......

negotiate $77k price (Do PPI!!!)
buy car
remove ccbs
install big reds & lsd
drive......enjoy
Old 11-23-2016, 06:06 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple of observations. My 09 has PCCB's and they are fantastic, no squeaking at all with about 32K miles. The pads are only half worn and aren't that expensive to just replace the pads. If the pads are replaced on a timely basis the discs will last the life of the car. The discs are where the big $$$ are. They only need to be replaced if you track the car and don't know what you're doing or if you let the pads get to thin.
LSD can be added if necessary, but not the sports chrono, a rarely omitted option and a deal breaker IMHO.
Regarding price, 997.1 turbo couples with manual are an appreciating asset or at least have hit bottom on the depreciation curve. Obviously condition, options and mileage play a big role.
I've had my 09 couple for two years and have added 6k to the mileage and I wouldn't sell it for less that 10K more than I paid for it. Of course it's an 09 and they only sold 321 turbo couples in the 09CY and that includes cars with tip. 09's seem to carry a premium over earlier years given their improvements and rarity.

P.S. Over revs are over rated IMHO, I have yet to read a post from anyone who has lunched an engine over the issue. Just think of the abuse the engine has taken in races like LeMans......as someone has previously stated just think of the hysteria if 930's had DME reports.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:22 AM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congratulations on the car. If you are anything like me you're already thinking about the next hunt. Honestly the game of researching and then finding 'the one' is a huge part of this addiction. I also recently bought a 97.1 TT. Similar mileage to yours, manual obviously, but without PCCB's. It does have LSD however. Black on black. I absolutely love it. It's stablemate is a 964 C2, they couldn't be more different. Well, I suppose one could be a horse. That would be a little more different. If your interested you can check out my TT on Instagram @onemorecar

Safe travels.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:54 PM
douwd20
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More pics please!!
Old 11-25-2016, 02:21 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats, great car, great deal. Love the hood, gives it a air cooled turbo look.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:22 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

I'm flying out to pay for and pick up the car next week. The wife and I are using this as an excuse to take a little vacation in San Diego. Perhaps I'll get a little surfing in since I haven't gotten to surf yet this year.

The car will be delivered in an enclosed trailer by the 5th of Dec or so. I'll get more pics (a lot more) when the car is in my possession.

I'm already looking for rims and springs and exhaust and a tune. Springs will be first. I'm thinking H&R springs because I've heard that they have the most drop (1.2"?). Otherwise, all progressive springs are fairly similar I feel. Springs are a temporary aesthetic and performance upgrade. I figure as the springs and PASM wear from my abuse over the years I'll upgrade to a fully adjustable option like the Bilstein damptronics. I'll probably buy the springs before I even get the car so they are here and ready to be installed when the car arrives.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Sounds like a plan.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:03 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Why didn't you wait to buy it after flying there and seeing/driving it first? You're flying there anyway. Hopefully the deposit was not too big. I'd wait with ordering the springs until you close the deal. Good luck, hopefully it all goes smooth!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:13 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

I did not pay for the car until I saw and inspected the car and took it for a drive. Honestly, the deal couldn't have gone smoother.
First impressions: I f*&$!ng LOVE this car! The PCCBs are intense. The first time I hit them too hard I thought I was going to go through the windshield. I don't know how you guys can even say the car "needs" suspension, DSC, tune, etc... I don't think this car "needs" anything. It's simply superb. I feel that I am quite possibly the luckiest man on earth right now.
And, without further ado...

Old 12-02-2016, 02:17 AM
Artwerks
Instructor

The guys I bought the car from bought me some beers and gave me some tips on visiting San Diego. They told me to drive up Palomar Mountain, which is where those pics are from -- at the top. I can say, without a doubt, that was the most fun driver's road I have ever, EVER, been on. And I live in CO!
I love San Diego.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 AM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your new car! She looks absolutely fantastic!

So many nice roads to drive in Colorado... you will have many awesome opportunities for a photoshoot with your new whip!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:17 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Nicely done!
Just drive the car a few months b4 doing any mods. Love that 993 style hood!
More pics plz

Quick Reply: New to Pcars, but dying to get into this 997TT