997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Pcars, but dying to get into this 997TT

Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

At the end of the day, no matter what you pay it's a freaking bargain.
The 997 turbo is an amazing car and super undervalued right now.

You can bolt on mega turbos and go nuts with HP with no fear if you like or keep it bone stock...no matter what it's a beast.

Every time I drive mine I can't believe how fast it is!
Old 10-28-2016, 08:01 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

If you're dying to get into it, just do it
Old 10-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
At the end of the day, no matter what you pay it's a freaking bargain.
The 997 turbo is an amazing car and super undervalued right now.

You can bolt on mega turbos and go nuts with HP with no fear if you like or keep it bone stock...no matter what it's a beast.

Every time I drive mine I can't believe how fast it is!
That says a lot given the cars in your signature. Eveytime i want to sell mine I simply can't...it's too good of a car and there is nothing in the price range I could replace it with.

Last edited by Johnny DB; 10-28-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:09 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah Johnny...it's incredible to me how overlooked the 997 is...hence a superb buying opportunity.

I absolutely love mine. It looks terrific, takes to mods wonderfully, has that raspy Metzger and a manual with enough modern equipment to make it feel brand new (I mean I did add Sat radio, blue tooth, etc) but for a 9 year old car it's stellar.

I'll never sell mine.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Agreed.. You Rennlisters are smart

Nothing better for the $$, not close, will never sell mine. Like you guys say they are totally undervalued right now.

Don't to be picky, just buy the car if you really want it, you cant lose regardless.

Plus, if it does sale and its really the one you want you will be bummed that you didn't just buy it.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:30 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Unless you're going to track it then a LSD is not a show stopper (IMO). As noted earlier you can have a better after market LSD installed if you absolutely need it, but I don't think you will. Also, PCCB's are nice but very expensive to replace.
Agree. I had PCCB's on my 997.1S and I have them on my TT (both cars off the lot came with them). Fantastic brakes, but always scared I'll have to take out a second mortgage to replace them. Before getting the TT, I was about to order a build-to-spec and PTS GT3, and had decided to go with steel brakes (which are more than adequate for any use I have). I have LSD, but I have probably never known it while driving.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate you.
I'm just not sure I can spend 80K on a car that has been rented on Turo that has also had four owners. It's spec'd very nicely, but the only thing I like more than the right color is the right color combo. I'm not in love with this color combo, I'm just in love with blue.
I found another car with a color combo I am in love with -- black on tan/beige (I like dark exterior, light interior or vice versa so as to contrast). It has low mileage, PCCB and some mods I'm interested in but still has all the original parts which is also important to me. The only problem is that it doesn't have sport chrono. How important is that for driving and/or resale value? (not that resale value matters much, because I'll probably keep this car forever). I plan to put exhaust and software in the car so... does this negate sport chrono.

TIA,
Art
Old 11-06-2016, 12:28 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

Thinking of picking up my first 997 turbo its a 997.1 with pccb.
Any advice recommended before i pull the trigger?
Gonna get a PPI this week.
Would they be able to see if the coolant pipe, camshaft and slave cylinder has been replaced or needs to be relace?

Thanks guys can't wait to get the beast!
Old 11-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by revolution993
Thinking of picking up my first 997 turbo its a 997.1 with pccb.
Any advice recommended before i pull the trigger?
Gonna get a PPI this week.
Would they be able to see if the coolant pipe, camshaft and slave cylinder has been replaced or needs to be relace?

Thanks guys can't wait to get the beast!
Hijacker!

No seriously, great question.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:29 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Artwerks
Hijacker!

No seriously, great question.
lol the more questions the better i guess all in one thread
Old 11-17-2016, 09:17 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I disagree on the PCCB's. I think it's a must have option on any P-car I buy moving forward, but I don't track the car like raclaims, so his perspective is surely more appropriate for that world.

I've never driven a 997.1 without the locking differential, but they aren't particularly stout from the factory, so that wouldn't deter me much either.

Here's the deal on price. Is $85k too much? Absolutely, but as mentioned you will never get the buyer to come down 15k. My guess is the owner will take $77.5. You'd want to make sure that you have all of the records on it and that the expensive fixes are in place. Have it PPI'd and find out things like wear on the PCCB's, coolant pipe repairs, slave cylinder issues, camshaft problems, etc.

I don't mind paying above market for a car that is super well maintained and I don't have to dump another 5k in fixes in it. That's a pay me now or pay me later conversation.
Are the 997.2 prone to coolant pipe issues also?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:19 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocco07
Are the 997.2 prone to coolant pipe issues also?

Not at all, different set up...but it's not a Mezger Engine, if that's important to you...JB
Old 11-19-2016, 09:22 PM
Artwerks
Instructor

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Here's the deal on price. Is $85k too much? Absolutely, but as mentioned you will never get the buyer to come down 15k. My guess is the owner will take $77.5. You'd want to make sure that you have all of the records on it and that the expensive fixes are in place. Have it PPI'd...
Funny thing... after long deliberation, looking at lots of comparable, and losing sleep fantasizing about this car I decided to take the advice most of you proposed and bought the car of my dreams. I couldn't let it go regardless of price with all the factory options and a color combo I'm in love with. And as you suspected, CincyScott, we settled at $77.5k.
I had a PPI done and it looks like a really clean report sans tire wear. My only question is that I don't really understand the rev report. I understand th concept, but without any comparison or knowledge of good or bad values, I'm not sure how to read it. Here it is... What do you guys think? It looks like most over-revs were a long time ago. That's a good thing, right?

Old 11-22-2016, 02:42 PM
964Carrera4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 23K mile 2007 997TT (6-spd, LSD, SC, etc..) in June and I did a lot of shopping around regarding prices, options, etc...

In my opinion, $85K is too high. My offer would be around $77K tops.

Oops..... I just saw that you worked out a deal at $77.5K so I guess I was close.

Well done and congratulations!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 04:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Range 4 over revs indicates that there were some missed shifts in its life the last events occurring at hour 800.9 (maybe at about 22,000 to 23,000 miles). Since there appear to be over 1,000 hours now, some time has elapsed since that last missed shift. Since you already bought the car, I wouldn't worry about it - not much you can do now. Rental cars tend to be abused so maybe a renter got too aggressive with his shifts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Pcars, but dying to get into this 997TT