Sponsored by:

I just got the TT wrapped!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 03:37 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
How long do these wraps last? and dont forget on the flip side you have to pay to remove it too because that is not easy to do. I have a partial clear wrap on my front end only and they want a lot of coin just to remove partial hood, front fenders, bumper and mirrors.
You can remove a clear wrap yourself with a hair drier and some patience. If you're paying someone to do it then all you're paying for is their time, there isn't much "skill" required to remove your front end clear wrap
Old 04-09-2016, 03:45 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrap looks great ..... I did mine as well...... protects the paint and fun to play around with different colors

Old 04-09-2016, 05:10 PM
monty007
Instructor

looks awesome! I need to do my car in a similar fashion. I have a Basalt Black with Black interior - was thinking of Mexico Blue. Same accents you have!
Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Love the look, and this looks like quality product. Enjoy it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-10-2016, 02:29 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
You can remove a clear wrap yourself with a hair drier and some patience. If you're paying someone to do it then all you're paying for is their time, there isn't much "skill" required to remove your front end clear wrap
You can remove it yourself but mine has been on for years and its not very easy to do. I dont want to remove paint with the wrap.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:30 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I have seen youtube videos where paint is significantly damaged from removal. But I'm sure if the guys who put it on, take it off, you'll be fine. They did a great job putting it on, they definitely know what they're doung!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This car is what inspired me to go ahead with the wrap on mine:

The wrap used here is Smoldering Red Satin. It wasn't available in gloss so I went with the Gloss Red Metallic. Here are some outdoor shots:

Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

very cool, red is awesome
Old 04-11-2016, 03:50 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

^Thanks! I've always wanted a RED 911 Turbo! I've had many questions regarding the "quality" of the wrap compared to a good paint job. Probably the best way to answer this is by enclosing some close up shots...here goes!

I just love what he did on the door handles!

If you look closely at the corners you can convince yourself that you're looking at a wrap film and not paint!

Hey! That's me!

The PO added some red highlights to the interior which look great with the red wrap!

Here you'll see some wrap "wrinkles" in the wheel well.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnbelk
Does it look like paint up close, or a wrap? I've only seen race car wraps and from 10 feet you can see its a wrap...I hope that's not the case with yours.
I know it's hard to estimate, but how long would this wrap last under normal conditions kept in a garage?
Will it survive under extreme heat, like Vegas?
Is there a wax or something similar that's used, or is it maintenance free?
Any lessons learned you could share?

There's the Porsche Mexico Blue I've been looking at for my triple black 09. Another RLer posted his wrapped 997TT...

I really do like your decisions to maintain the black accents...have you considered the hood too...That might be to much, or just enough...
Thanks for any light you can shed on my questions...JB
Mex Blue was my second choice btw!

John 3M maintains that for the gloss, satin, and matte wrap colours, the "life expectancy" is about 7 years while the CF ones are about 5 years under "moderate" use. That being said 3M highly recommends keeping the car garaged as much as possible or under cover if parked for long periods. They recommend parking in the shade wherever possible. So, direct and extreme Vegas heat for prolonged periods would probably be an issue I suspect. Mine is always in the garage and I put on maybe 2000 Km per year so it's driven sparingly and therefore not exposed to the elements very much!

As far as maintenance it's pretty much maintenance free so you can use wax but you can't use an orbital. Also they recommend pressure washing under low pressure and avoid direct contact at the corners.

As far as lessons learned....we'll see! This is all new to me too so I'll see what happens over time. And, besides I may just go Mexico Blue in 5 years!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:49 PM
johnbelk
Pro

Thanks for the reply...what the heck is it about that Darn Mexico Blue on these cars...I've never wanted a blue car until seeing these...
Good information...what we have to keep in mind is, its a wrap that's not going to break the bank compared to a re-paint... However, even the best of re-paint jobs can have their small flaws...found over time...
And as you mentioned above, a few years down the road....BAM!!! A different color wrap...
The car looks great!
Thank you again, JB
Old 04-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

great contrast on that car! I'm a fan of that.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:14 PM
AlexluvsTTs
Advanced

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I have seen youtube videos where paint is significantly damaged from removal. But I'm sure if the guys who put it on, take it off, you'll be fine. They did a great job putting it on, they definitely know what they're doung!
The guy I used is a professional "wrapper"...no, not Jay Z or Ice Cube..he's wrapped many commercial vehicles and so has also unwrapped many as well. He claims removal is usually not a problem....about a 3 hour job, so about $200, though if he's re-wrapping he'll often include the removal in his cost estimate.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 PM
ronole
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP: looks great!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:53 PM
triplenet
Pro

Hey - I see you did the rear wing in black,..... Can you put up a rear shot...... I was thinking about wrapping mine in carbon fiber....

Thanks

Never mind,,,, just noticed the picture from the rear.... Looks really good ...

Quick Reply: I just got the TT wrapped!