Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changster's 997.2 TTS, pics mods etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks awesome! do you still have your GTR? How does this compare to the GTR?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's gorgeous. I actually like the stripes which is normally not my thing. Wish I could get someone to take some rolling shots of my ride. Very cool.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:31 PM
VLJ
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So good.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:13 AM
changster123
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHW
Very cool pics!

Any info on the alignment?
How many miles of street driving you get out of the pilot sport cup 2?

Alignment:
Front camber -2.0, Front toe 0. Rear camber -1.5, rear toe in 11 minutes a side.

This is a starting point for me. I may go a little aggressive after I try this alignment 3-4 time at the track.

As far as miles of street driving on the PSC2, I honestly can't answer that. I use it at the track a lot. It lasts me about 5 track days running 8 laps per session 5-6 sessions a day.

But honestly, I wouldn't bother with Cup 2's at all on the street. There's no point. The point of that tire is to be able to drive it at the limit so it can give you better grip when it's all heated up. You are so far away from the limit on the street. I would use AD08R's for the street. I have those in 235/305 on my OEM tires now.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 AM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Looks awesome! do you still have your GTR? How does this compare to the GTR?
Yes I still have my GTR. That car is my street beast... mainly a straight line car with gobs of HP for drag and roll racing.

Turbo S is much more refined. It's also faster stock vs stock. I like the gearing of the GTR better (shorter). I like the size of the 997 much better. I like the overall package of the Turbo S better from its suspension to interior to acceleration. Hard to describe.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
Yes I still have my GTR. That car is my street beast... mainly a straight line car with gobs of HP for drag and roll racing.

Turbo S is much more refined. It's also faster stock vs stock. I like the gearing of the GTR better (shorter). I like the size of the 997 much better. I like the overall package of the Turbo S better from its suspension to interior to acceleration. Hard to describe.
Glad to hear you have both cars, always nice to see what the opinion is of GTR and Turbo S from someone who has both. Ive always had an itch to get a GTR but very much miss my 997 Turbo.

Sounds like your two cars scratch both of your itches depending on day
Old 05-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Jonathan S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Chester!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

You are brave and the car looks brilliant. Fantastic job.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM
changster123
Racer

Viva Brazil!! I changed up the colors of the stripes today. Along with the OZ Superforgiata's the car looks much more aggressive.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looked like a 4.0 in the initial photos. Not a fan of murdered out cars. But enjoy!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:25 AM
changster123
Racer

A few track shots today.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:43 PM
mprsev
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the new look and love the stripes. Would the person that made the stripes for you sell as a kit?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 PM
strummr
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Coming directly from a GT-R myself, interested in the ongoing mod path. I've seen your posts/build on GTRlife.

I just picked up a 997.2 Turbo S a couple weeks ago. (certified with 17k) I ended up trading in my fully modded GT-R for it. (2013 BE FBO+ E85) I've already picked up a Cobb AP as I ran Cobb (never did switch to Ecutek despite the numerous prodding from my tech), and Tim Bailey will continue tuning for me. (went through Linney, Visconti prior)

It's early, but the TTS is definitely more refined, and the interior definitely has more higher quality materials - but did expect the stock performance to be more stout. This isn't apples to apples, since the GT-R was fairly 'raw' (catless, full titanium 102mm Boostlogic with quadzilla for one), but it was a significant step down in speed. I agree the TTS feels smaller, lighter, and the PCCB is far superior (a shortcoming with the GT-R platform), but initial impressions are, IMO, the GT-R felt sharper in handling, and definitely more responsive in power delivery.

I know you went way deeper with your build (my plan was to go full built with TSM Elites), and you kept both cars, but you really felt the stock TTS was on par or better than the GT-R stock? (the numbers were in favor of the GT-R BE for model year '13)

I'll get the TTS to ~stage 2 tune level, similar to your targets, and then make a bit more of a qualified comparison, but definitely interested in your mod progression with the TTS.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:39 PM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by mprsev
Love the new look and love the stripes. Would the person that made the stripes for you sell as a kit?
Possibly. I'll ask. They basically took the dimensions of the 4.0 stripes and used different colors from the 3M library of their wraps.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 AM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by strummr
Coming directly from a GT-R myself, interested in the ongoing mod path. I've seen your posts/build on GTRlife.

I just picked up a 997.2 Turbo S a couple weeks ago. (certified with 17k) I ended up trading in my fully modded GT-R for it. (2013 BE FBO+ E85) I've already picked up a Cobb AP as I ran Cobb (never did switch to Ecutek despite the numerous prodding from my tech), and Tim Bailey will continue tuning for me. (went through Linney, Visconti prior)

It's early, but the TTS is definitely more refined, and the interior definitely has more higher quality materials - but did expect the stock performance to be more stout. This isn't apples to apples, since the GT-R was fairly 'raw' (catless, full titanium 102mm Boostlogic with quadzilla for one), but it was a significant step down in speed. I agree the TTS feels smaller, lighter, and the PCCB is far superior (a shortcoming with the GT-R platform), but initial impressions are, IMO, the GT-R felt sharper in handling, and definitely more responsive in power delivery.

I know you went way deeper with your build (my plan was to go full built with TSM Elites), and you kept both cars, but you really felt the stock TTS was on par or better than the GT-R stock? (the numbers were in favor of the GT-R BE for model year '13)

I'll get the TTS to ~stage 2 tune level, similar to your targets, and then make a bit more of a qualified comparison, but definitely interested in your mod progression with the TTS.
Congratulations on your new ride.

I can say I know the differences of these two cars quite well. I also had a 2015 GTR that I kept stock (but now sold). My 2009 GTR is the project car aka black box money pit.

The GTR has shorter gear ratios. I like the gear ratios of the GTR better as it felt more right on the street. Acceleration wise, stock for stock the TTS is faster. It run 7.0 100-200kph consistently. My 2015 GTR was around 8 flat. I did a lot of vboxing so trust me.

You're coming from FBO E85 GTR. The E85 tune makes a HUGE difference. Your TS will never reach 5's 100-200kph as the TS currently doesn't have a fuel solution for an E85 tune. You should pester Tim Baily to develop one. Currently the only way to get those acceleration times is to use meth injection, which I personally will never do because I refuse to put a water tank in the already small trunk. My 09 GTR has a water tank for the A2W IC, so I know what a compromise it is.

With a custom Cobb tune you'll run low to mid 6's 100-200 if you're around 1000 DA.

Handling wise, yes the GTR might be a little sharper given its wider track. The GTR feels more stable at high speeds as well. I highly recommend the mods you see in this thread on the handling side. A DSC module, the wide track kit from TPC, and the TPC sways. TPC is the best shop for suspension IMO.

BTW I put the stock exhaust back on minus the cats. I bought downpipes from Speedtech. Super cheap. I don't need two loud cars. A catless stock exhaust IMO is perfect. It gives it a little growl and it moves enough air for this power level. I didn't lose any acceleration by moving back to stock exhaust with straight through down pipes (proven with many vbox runs). A loud Porsche Turbo engine sounds like crap vs the GTR.

Anyways I don't know what your goals are with the TS, but I know for me it was a reliable street car that I take to the track up to 15 track days a year. I had a 997.2 GT3 and sold it because it was too slow on the street and yes too slow on the track. I really love this TS with some small suspension mods and a tune. It's been so good to me for the last 16 months. I change fluids frequently and there's been not a single issue. It really is the jack-of-all-trades car. It's slower than 991 GT3's on track but I get pretty close. It's faster than any 997 GT3/GT3RS even on track, likely because a stick just loses too much time on the track with each shift.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Changster's 997.2 TTS, pics mods etc