Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC's DSC box and new Active suspention

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure someone else will have this question...

Confirmed with TPC that the box is the same for both the 997.1 and 997.2 turbo models. Includes S and GT2. The cardboard box might have a .1 or .2 sticker but it doesnt matter.

There are also yellow and white dsc boxes. The yellow was just and earlier hardware run and their supplier switched to white. They are the same. That being said if you have a yellow box it might have older software. Hopefully the user upgrade software comes out soon and everyone will get on the same stuff. But yellow or white all still work on turbos.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:17 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicCity911
Thank you Tom once again. I will do my due diligence to find the part numbers.
Magic, could u please post the numbers if you manage to find them? That would be awesome. I'll do the same if I beat you to it

I think the front spring mounting pad sounds interesting too.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bahhhh haven't had a chance to install this yet... hopefully this week/end. Need to find time for a before/after drive.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:31 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ It takes all of 3-5 minutes to install
Old 10-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by CodeRed
^ It takes all of 3-5 minutes to install
install isn't my hold up. It's finding time to do a thorough before and after drive. Maybe Sunday morning.

The H&R springs sound like a great idea. Damn speed bumps in the neighborhood are a nightmare though.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Duckstu

My DSC box is held in by plastic clamps on the bottom of back of the firewall footwell. Do I have to unclip the box or unscrew it out? Two of the plastic pins won't unscrew so I have to pull the covering back to reach under there. It's a pain to get under there, just curious so I don't break anything. thx
Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It just slides into the clips, nothing to unscrew, just an awkward position.
These are the directions Tom sent me
Chris,

Easy installation. 5-steps. See below.

1. Remove key from ignition switch. Then make your way to the passenger side.

2. Locate the stock PASM module. It is located above and slightly forward of the carpeted trim panel nearest to the passenger right foot. There's no need to remove the trim panel. Just reach your hand above the trim panel then slight forward and you'll feel the flat surface of the PASM module.

3. Once you have your fingers on the flat surface of the PASM module, follow downward and you'll feel the plastic locking tab.

4. Gently push down on the locking tab and the PASM module will fall out of the retaining bracket.

5. Carefully unplug the electrical connector from the PASM module and transfer the connector to the DSC module. To install the DSC module onto the retaining bracket simply line up the upper tab and the bottom will snap into the locking tab.

--
Tom Chan
Race Team Manager
Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

^^ Thanks Chris. Been so busy haven't even had a chance to enjoy it yet. Will do it tomorrow and report back soon. That helped a lot. I was about to take the panel off!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Gem Mookherjea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed Nothing to slip mine in, fwiw
Old 12-23-2015, 12:39 AM
changster123
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
I wanted to clarify that I like stock bell-shaped Sport(M030, I030 option code) springs for use on mostly street driven cars with stock type struts/shocks for its superiority over bumps, mild lowering of ~20mm, and less sag than the non-factory bell-shaped springs that I've come across.
A note on sag(aka settlement), its a common thing, usually not a big deal especially if its on threaded body coilover that can restored the original/desired ride height. I dislike having to change the suspension geometry more than I feel its necessary in order to do get wheel alignment to specs when there's no adjustment to restore height. If the car is never to be on a track then its no big deal. I only steer customers to use stock Sport springs only if they are looking for mild lowering on stock type struts/shocks because that's what I'd use in such application. I don't even sell stock springs.

For flat out track performance, the "straight" springs are the way to go. With our DSC/Tractive DDA program, we are getting straight springs to have street compliance near that of bell-shaped springs.

Here's the photo of the springs. Bell-shaped spring on the left. Straight spring on the right.

Bringing back this great thread.

Tom, do you recommend Eibach/GMG sways for the 997.2 Turbo S in addition to any type of other changes whether it's B16+DSC, GTS-4 sport springs+DSC, Eibach springs+DSC, B8+DSC, or just DSC by itself? Sways may reduce body roll but does it give me better traction and contact patch on this car?

Second, on B16's+DSC with your "narrow minded" focus on performance even if it's 90% street 10% track, what spring rates do you like? By default it's about 350 front/550 rear and I've seen some go for 450 front 600 rear. The goal is always max traction/contact patch first, with second priority being the feeling of precision, less body roll, etc. We need weight transfer obviously to load the tires for traction during cornering or braking, so at roughly which spring rate is that balance of grip vs feel?

Assume running Cup 2 tires.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:16 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone confirm where the PASM box is on a RHD car? Is it in the same position relative to the glovebox (i.e on the left side - passenger footwell - ) or does it remain in the same absolute position as in LHD cars (so in a RHD car it would be above the fusebox)
Old 12-23-2015, 06:59 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Same position relative to the glovebox. Open the passenger door, stick your head into the passenger footwell and it will be on the upper left, just above the edge of the carpet. You can reach up there and feel it relatively easily. Just a case of releasing the clip on the bottom edge, and removing the cable.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:31 PM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks NZ!!
Old 12-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
Bringing back this great thread.

Tom, do you recommend Eibach/GMG sways for the 997.2 Turbo S in addition to any type of other changes whether it's B16+DSC, GTS-4 sport springs+DSC, Eibach springs+DSC, B8+DSC, or just DSC by itself?
It depends on what type of driving you use the car for and if you are willing to put up with firmer ride to favor traction. If you frequently drive the car flat out or like the racier feel then a matching set of adjustable sway bars is recommended to 1)provide supplemental roll stiffness to DSC and shocks & springs, 2)adjust the car's balance, and 3)use the function of the car's balance to increase traction where you want and reduce PSM engagement. As for the the brand for adjustable sway bars, since you are asking me, naturally I'd recommend the TPC Racing brand . Not only because I work for TPC Racing, but because they are designed like the OEM GT3/GT2 bars to put the load on the front uprights instead of the front struts, and the adjustment holes are closer together to better fine tune the desired balance(so each hole isn't too much of a change), and the range of adjustment will cover high performance street to pro level racing.

Sways may reduce body roll but does it give me better traction and contact patch on this car?
In general the answer is Yes, adjustable sway bars can improve traction when they adjusted to achieve desired balance. Having DSC will help tremendously on the 997 chassis, but at this time, shocks & springs alone cannot transfer load in exact same manner as sway bars on a 997. And I am for the opinion that anyone who's investing in a set of coilovers should have adjustable sway bars.

Second, on B16's+DSC with your "narrow minded" focus on performance even if it's 90% street 10% track, what spring rates do you like? By default it's about 350 front/550 rear and I've seen some go for 450 front 600 rear. The goal is always max traction/contact patch first, with second priority being the feeling of precision, less body roll, etc. We need weight transfer obviously to load the tires for traction during cornering or braking, so at roughly which spring rate is that balance of grip vs feel?
The 997Turbo B16 spring rates are 290/660 lbs. When using DSC, increasing the spring rate will reduce the dynamic range at the lower end. This will make the car less compliant on bumpy roads and bumpy tracks even with the shocks at minimum damping value. Before DSC we swapped out a lot of springs. We still swap out springs but we do it less. Welcome to the digital suspension era! Stiffer springs on B16(or on any other shock) will produce a more immediate stiffness feel at minimal inputs, which I believe is something we have been accustomed to over the years and possibly interpret as "precise" because there's less suspension movement. I think with digital/dynamic suspension systems in the automotive industry, for a majority of car enthusiasts a new way of thinking will adapt in the coming years. For those who like the racier feel we up the fronts to 400, 450, or even 500(front monoball upper mounts are required). Sometimes we up the front to 600 and up the rear to 700 or 800(rear monoball upper mounts required). At 600/800 is the limit of the B16 on 997Turbo, even with DSC. Such a set up I would recommend for track only with Hoosiers or stickier tires. To achieve wider range from low end to high end you'd need a set of Tractive DDA. Another thing is with DSC, the driver can tune the "situational stiffness"(or rate of change) by changing his/her rate of inputs to the car, and/or change the software mapping to trigger the stiffness, which is the beautiful of dynamic suspension! The more we are into this program the more we find out we can do without compromising versatility. With what I know today, my personal preference(between grip and feel) on a 997Turbo with DSC, TPC adjustable sway bars set at middle hole in front, one from full soft rear, I'd go with 400 front and keep the 660 rear. I would leave the B16 front spring rate alone but I don't care for the helper spring in front that forces the use of the shorter front main spring on a street car so that's the reason why I'd swap the front main springs(delete the helper springs) and take advantage of the opportunity to up the front rate. So in this case upping the front rate conservatively doesn't degrade the compliance much(in fact it improves) because the longer length spring soaks up the bumps better.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:21 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Anybody ever track down GTS sport spring part numbers?

Quick Reply: TPC's DSC box and new Active suspention