Sponsored by:

I had a bad day (insert cop story here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:57 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Yeah, I'm having a bit of a mental conundrum on this one, MS. Was I guilty? Absolutely. Will the fines cause me financial harm? Not at all. Do I want a clean record? Yes.
As I said, doing what you can (legally, and reasonably) to keep your record clean should not be impacted by any perfectly reasonable guilt. In most cases traffic school is the right answer and is in fact part of the system.

One of my good friend's sister works for the clerk of courts in that small county, she's going to look into it this morning and call me tonight.
That's probably a good way of finding out what is and is not reasonable in that area. Yes, you're guilty of taking a calculated risk that the law does not allow, no that doesn't mean you're not entitled to protect yourself in every way the the law does allow.

Originally Posted by NoBozos
Probably the most excitement the cops had in months, seems like that should have been cause for leniency. I seem to remember a Hunter S. Thompson story about that, involved sliding a land yacht to a stop against the curb.
I've learned the hard way to not ignore any advice from that man. Not so much a visionary, as someone who was able to see and articulate the parts of reality we so often try to ignore. I usually try to be driving something more sedate than the turbo when traversing bat country, but sometimes it simply can't be helped.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's nice that some jurisdictions have reasonable fines. Here in Ontario if you are 30 miles (50km) over its a $10,000 fine, car is impounded and license suspended. Pretty heavy for a short burst of fun on an open 5 lane highway. I once got caught 161 km in a 100 km/h zone (our maximum speed). He dropped it to 149 so I don't get the crazy whammy trifecta. Had a lawyer plead it down to a minor infraction. Got lucky that time. I think because I was driving my Jeep. Probably would have been a worse outcome in the Porsche.

Best of luck on fighting the tickets.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:57 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

$10k that's insane! !!!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I lawyered up for a ticket I got in the Scion! And I just found out I lost the case. CHP appeared and was ready to fight. I knew he didnt like me. If I was in the Turbo he probably would have shot me.. That's popular here in L.A.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:53 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
I lawyered up for a ticket I got in the Scion! And I just found out I lost the case. CHP appeared and was ready to fight. I knew he didnt like me. If I was in the Turbo he probably would have shot me.. That's popular here in L.A.
It's really popular here in Cincinnati, as you may have heard in the news. I'm glad he didn't notice I didn't have a front plate!

My contact inside the courthouse told me to ask for a plea trial because I'm moving out of state this week. I'm not going to to get a lawyer, for two reasons: 1) the longer this draws out, the less likely I will have an OH driver's license since I'm moving to TN. 2) The pleas usually get reduced to some minor offense (my contact says if you're nice, it's almost a certainty).

Worst case scenario, I pay my fee as is, accept my points, and go on about my business.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

solution, get a Boxster GTS, i drove one this weekend and would take a while to go that fast
Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I guess you didn't have your trunk monkey? I guess in this case frunk monkey....
Old 08-07-2015, 01:10 AM
NoBozos
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteJav
I guess you didn't have your trunk monkey? I guess in this case frunk monkey.... Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JutCjbmcq7s
Trunk Monkey didn't make out too good, worth a shot. FAH
Old 08-07-2015, 01:34 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

How cheap is that....$210 for 91 in a 55. Try that here in Californial..you pretty much get any speeding ticket and its bordering $500. I guarantee you 91 in 55 is $500+.....as low as those three tickets were, I would go out and do it again.....and still be less than California!

Quick Reply: I had a bad day (insert cop story here)