Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major (4y/40K) maintenance - required on 13K mile car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 PM
aoysgelt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major (4y/40K) maintenance - required on 13K mile car?

I am considering buying a currently CPO'd 2011 TT which will be 5 years in service this Aug. I am considering getting it CPO'd at Porsche dealer (would have dealer buy it for me then resell and pay some money for service). However the dealer said that all maintenance would need to be brought up to date. One big item was "major" maintenance which costs $2K. Per Porsche schedule - this is indeed due - because of 4 year - but car has very low mileage - 13K.

Two questions
1. Is "major" maintenance really due? Sounds like "yes"
2. Any reason previous owner would choose not to do it on time? I know he had car serviced at Porsche dealership and had opportunity to get service done. Could it be that Porsche dealer said that it was not necessary?

Originally I thought that something shady was going on with car (perhaps still is) but I came across another 2011 TT in similar situation and owner said he took it to Porsche recently to get serviced and dealer did not mention major maintenance due.

Thank you
Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the service done, $2K well spent. Sounds like the owner didn't drive it much so he probably didn't remember it or didn't bother to take it in, sounds more lazy than shady. CPO is a good idea as well (IMHO), a bit pricey but peace of mind is nice. Major service will also clean it out quite nicely, all fluids changed, probably new spark plugs, etc.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:52 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Agreed. It's time sensitive not mileage. I have friends who drive cars very little but consider them up to date on maintenance because of mileage. They're not. Everything made from petroleum and rubber products has a shelf life (including belts, etc).
Old 06-17-2015, 11:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Major (4y/40K) maintenance - required on 13K mile car?

Remember, a "Major Maintenance" doesn't include the plugs etc. These would be additional, based on age/mileage.

I use a spreadsheet to track this for my car. It would be different for yours (mines an old 997.1 Turbo, with many more miles!) but may prove useful.

Maintenance Tracker
Old 06-18-2015, 12:03 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

It is time or mileage, whichever comes first. Get it done.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Porsche is very strict about the cpo criteria, all maintenance must be up to date for cpo.
Do you really need the service, maybe, who knows but a cpo is worth it's weight in gold compared to aftermarket warranties, which suck.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 AM
JR_PRO
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Porsche is very strict about the cpo criteria, all maintenance must be up to date for cpo.
Do you really need the service, maybe, who knows but a cpo is worth it's weight in gold compared to aftermarket warranties, which suck.
+1 what he said...I think that service is pricey because it includes the spark plugs but I could be wrong.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:38 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd get it done and get the CPO. The CPO "requirements" may be a little over the top, but I think that is how it is.

A year ago I had my car in and technically I needed a 12 month oil change but the dealer sad I had only driven 3K miles the prior year and I could wait. I bought the car new and now have a 5-year Fidelity warranty. I do plan to take it in soon and will review the service requirements and do whatever is necessary (including plugs even though I am only at 33K miles).
Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

depends what the major service is.

There are a lot of things that don't time out and 4 years is pretty early given the car probably sat in the garage most of the time.

If they want to do it to certify the car, go for it. If they don't care, I'd pick and choose what I'd want done.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 PM
LTPCar
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info. I was just thinking about this and was wondering the same.

Quick Reply: Major (4y/40K) maintenance - required on 13K mile car?