Sponsored by:

Creaking noise at front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:40 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Creaking noise at front end

Just wanted to post my experience so that you can benefit from it. I was starting to have a creaking in the front end when i turn the steering wheel back and forth.

Shop replaced the drop links and it helped for a little bit but went back to the same noise.

Turns out the power steering pump was failing. I found this out when after an autocross event my belt was shredded and had to have the car towed.

The power steering pump was failing and the pulley was spinning at a different speed than the other pulleys thus sabotaging the belt. On top of that some metal got into the power steering system from the failure so i've been told I need to get a new steering rack too. Not the best day but hopefully this will help someone down the line.

Worth noting that I was having the problem before autocrossing my car so that wasn't the cause.

Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone had a creaking in the front end that they couldn't resolve. Check the steering pump!

Last edited by eviligloo; 06-16-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:38 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Creaking noise at front end

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know. How can we check to see if there are potential issues? I've had a creak, but it was narrowed down to the front left lower control arm.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise at front end