Sponsored by:

generally speaking...people suck

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LTPCar
This really blows. I would get a claim into the insurance. It was not your fault. This is what insurance is for.
This. Under a grand yes. More, then use them is usually my motto. They raise rates go elsewhere. Not your fault
Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm no insurance industry expert, but my guess is that the underwriters would assert that had you been driving a Honda Accord, this would not likely have happened. So your fault or not, an underwriter will want to pin it on you somehow, some way.

If we didn't insure the cars as much as ourselves, no big deal. But since the car and it's value/attraction/repair costs/etc are inextricably connected to the policy, it's hard for the insured to win, regardless of fault.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasbury
Already filed a claim. While I understand that the Carfax may reflect this, I have documentation of what happened. I just bought this car, and I plan to use it and put miles on it. Resale is the least of my concerns at this point, but in the event I'm selling someday and someone wouldn't consider this car because of this incident, that's frankly a buyer that I'd rather not deal with anyway.

Just one of the multiple reasons I sold my 930 and stepped into the 997 is to get away from the "value" consciousness that permeates that landscape. I expect a little relief from that over here. Its a car to me, not an investment.

Meanwhile, I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars over the years on auto insurance with little to no claims activity. This wasn't my fault...I wasn't even operating the vehicle when the damage occurred.
A carfax usually only gets generated with a police report. Agree about the 930 world, used to be fun hobby cars, not any more!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:32 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Nothing a heat gun could not fix. Went to a party and parked away from just about everyone. Someone just bumped the left corner rear bumper. Rubbing compound took care if it. I was lucky. It's nothing man it will look brand new again.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:10 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

That really stinks. Like you, I'm always mindful of where I park and where I take my car, and the fear of this type of thing (or worse) is always in the back of my mind. People are just jerks sometimes.

At least it's readily fixable. Sorry for the financial loss.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 AM
ET1KTRD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your insurance shouldn't be affected since it's not an at fault accident. If it is, you may want to consider switching carriers. My X5 was rear ended in a parking lot and it was repaired at no cost to me or increase in rates. Sorry this happened to you, I know how you feel.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:05 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bad news: Many people are ********.
The good news: Eventually they sicken, and die.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:01 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Rubbing compound took care if it.
This one isn't going to buff out. Heat gun sound interesting though. Would that really work?

New bumper cover on order anyhow, but now maybe I'll take the old bumper cover back and see if I can repair it with a heat gun and keep as spare.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I've used one before on my bumperettes.

Quick Reply: generally speaking...people suck