Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:03 PM
ageff91
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

Hey guys!I am waiting on the service department at my local Porsche dealership to give me the blessings on my potentially new to me 2010 997.2 turbo in white to make the deal. I have so many questions to ask I don't know where to even begin.

1. I want to add power to the car but coming from a 2013 camaro v6 I think stock power is more than enough of a boost ( I know I just contradicted myself in this sentence lol.) I'd love to hear every ones opinion on this one.
2. If I don't do anything to add power since everything that adds power to this car costs an arm and a leg, what about if I just do exhaust? I want to do a system that I don't need to tinker with anything else to make it sound way more aggressive. I don't want to start messing around with intercoolers and upgrading turbos because it digs too deep into my pockets. So exhaust is my biggest thing I'd love to do. So I'd love to hear your opinions on the best systems that would suit me. I liked the sound of the akrapovic slip on system but it's a bit expensive for me. Any alternatives guys?

3. I want to add a wing or replace a wing to the car. I really like the techart gt street r rear wing because I think it makes the car look so different and also makes it look so much more aggressive. You guys have any pics of what you've done about a spoiler/wing on your 997.2 turbo? I would love to see them!

In advance, I thank all of you for your responses and I can't wait to bring her home and show a ton of pics and progress I make with this Project.

I will be taking her on a rally this summer for charity called rally north America which I can not wait to show her off at.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 12:28 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

BBI or Kline for exhaust. Both make good inconel headers as well to complete the system.

You can't do techart GT street wing by itself. You need the rest of the rear kit and the rear bumper. You could do techart type 2 aero kit.

Cobb or GIAC tune is good. Gives the car a linear power band. Helps with the lag and power comes in at lower RPMs.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:50 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats & Welcome!

Do a search on exhaust options... you'll get a broad spectrum of opinions. Skip headers - wasted money unless the sound of an aftermarket exhaust isn't enough.

Not a fan of Techart. IMHO adding a wing is overkill, you'll get enough attention as is.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:37 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Congrats & Welcome!

Do a search on exhaust options... you'll get a broad spectrum of opinions. Skip headers - wasted money unless the sound of an aftermarket exhaust isn't enough.

Not a fan of Techart. IMHO adding a wing is overkill, you'll get enough attention as is.
I get zero attention. I like it . Shelby and zr1 got way too much.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:02 PM
JR_PRO
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and love the color! I'm not always a big fan of some of the aftermarket wings although there a few that I like. I went with the Techart style or TA wing in carbon fiber from Seibon on my 2010 Turbo...I think the TA style wing looks a little different but not too aggressive. The TA style is grooved on the bottom so it fits down & wraps around the lower factory spoiler and retains the factory hydraulic system so it's closer to function in design and appearance but also not so aggressive it looks out of place in my opinion. To each his own as they say...
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 05:17 PM
JR_PRO
Rennlist Member

Here is a pic of the front view regarding the TA rear spoiler in carbon fiber...
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 PM
ageff91
Track Day

Your car is beautiful. Anyone else have pics?
Old 05-30-2015, 06:03 PM
JR_PRO
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 PM
ageff91
Track Day

So before I even give the seller any money, the dealer who ran the ppi for me informed me there is a small leak coming from behind the water pump. He could not tell me what it was since it would require more than just a general inspection like a ppi. The guy selling the car says he's a mechanic and claims he checked it out himself and discovered it was pentosin (power steering oil) coming from the engine area. Do I walk away from this or continue to pursue this car?Is this something that I should be nervous about or its a minor thing in the big picture?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:50 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's no big deal then the seller can run it down to the Porsche store and get it fixed.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:42 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ageff91
So before I even give the seller any money, the dealer who ran the ppi for me informed me there is a small leak coming from behind the water pump. He could not tell me what it was since it would require more than just a general inspection like a ppi. The guy selling the car says he's a mechanic and claims he checked it out himself and discovered it was pentosin (power steering oil) coming from the engine area. Do I walk away from this or continue to pursue this car?Is this something that I should be nervous about or its a minor thing in the big picture?
If he's a mechanic, why didn't he fix it already? I'm a mechanic too, just a total hack.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 AM
ageff91
Track Day

I also said that if it's no big deal, then he should have taken care of it already and gotten the sale made by now. It's been 3 weeks since I first saw the car and I'm starting to get a little irritated that this car is not mine yet. Obviously If this car will be a problem child to me then I want nothing to do with it and I'll find another car. I don't even one hundred percent believe the seller about this. I told him listen, I can't tell you how to spend your money since it's his car after all, but whatever he does to repair the problem (all the service department at Porsche said to us was that the car had SOMETHING going on behind the water pump. They didn't said it was even anything.) The owner is running with this power steering fluid thing. I told the seller listen, I don't care what you do to repair it, but afterwards it's gotta pass with flying colors with the dealer or else I'm walking away. 3 weeks is too long for me to drag this process out for.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People are weird and lazy, even when they try to sell things. This could be something minor, but if you already have a funky feeling I'd walk away. Plenty of other clean turbos out there. Widen your search radius and the right car will pop up without any hassles, go for one with warranty for a piece of mind.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Yogi911
Racer

If you are coming from a v6 camaro you most certainly do not need any power mods. Wait until you get used to it then mod if you want. 500+hp is WAY different from 300hp in a similarly weighted car. JMO.

I went from a 230hp to a 300hp car to a 400hp car to a 500hp car. I didnt need to mod the 500hp car.

Just as a side note i felt in a way like the 300hp car was more fun because it was more usable. Didnt get to go to jail speeds as fast. In a way i wish i could go back but once you get used to the power its hard to go back. Take your time modding to big power.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

congrats. Perfect color!

Quick Reply: newbie